Head Gasket Leaking!!!!

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

azazel19
Junior

Head Gasket Leaking!!!!

Post by azazel19 »

I can't catch a break. Thought my gunky engine was caused by my valve cover gasket got it repaced and fixed some other issues. New plugs, wires, and coil pack to fix a crappy acceleration problem as I was finishing up I just happened to look at the motor and noticed that there was oil still leaking from some where. As I looked it seems to be coming from the clutch side of the head only half of it front part and also behind the exhaust manifold.

What kind of expense am I looking at in getting this repaired and should it be done a gm dealer or would pepboys or some similar garage be able to tackle this and get my timing right again. The car is a 2000 lanos 1.6L dhoc and only has 85K on the odo and has a ton of life left and I want to get it repaired but I also don't want to go broke doing it. Thanks.

Also when buying parts for the repair what else should go along with it, gaskets seals etc. Have a timing belt and assorted goodies and new water pump with less than 15K on them so they are still good so those would be excluded.
"mess with the best die like the rest"
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

before jumping into expensive work... try re torquing the head bolts... some times they lossen a bit and cause oil leak

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
azazel19
Junior

torque sepcs.

Post by azazel19 »

Do you have any idea what the torque specs and pattern are for the head bolts.

Thanks
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

check the FAQ section

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
gb2615

Post by gb2615 »

Hi Azazel19

I have attached image of the settings for a DOHC 1.6lt A16DM engine. I hope it provides the details you want.

Don't be tempted to over tighten any bolts or nuts more than that specified as a steel threads can easily strip or weaken the thread in aluminium alloy components. :? If this happens, it can become a costly and time consuming exercise to correct the problem.

Good luck
gb2615

Lanos - Lots of engineering packed into one little space

Lanos SX 1.6lt DOHC 5spd 09/1997 220kms - No Mods
azazel19
Junior

best way to torque

Post by azazel19 »

So should I loosen all the bolts then re-torque them or loosen one at a time then torque them. Also will I have to put a new valve cover gasket on when I pull the cover. One more thing do those specs cover a 2000 1.6 the diagram says to 1999 not sure if they are the same. Thanks for the info thus far.
Spider
Expert

Just wondering.....

Post by Spider »

Did you replace the two hard rubber"D" plugs that fit into the head on the left side of your engine, above the coil-packs (left as viewed from the drivers seat) when you replaced the valve cover gasket?
If not replaced at the same time as the gasket the old ones will usually leak.
~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

"The three great essentials to achieving anything worthwhile are; first, hard work, second, stick-to-it-iveness, and third, common sense."
- -- Thomas Edison
azazel19
Junior

D seals

Post by azazel19 »

Yeah the d seals got replaced and the engine was cleaned up and I can see where It's seeping from the head I'm still hoping re torquing seals it up.
gb2615

Post by gb2615 »

Hi azazel19

I will stand corrected but in my experience, you should not loosen them before trying to re-torque them. This just adds to the stress on the threads. If they are already tight then retorquing them will have no effect.
Try and make sure you use a quality tension wrench. If you find none of your bolts need retorquing, then try and get another wrench unless you are confident with the accuracy of the wrench you are using. Similarly, if you find everyone of them loose, then perhaps be suspicious of the accuracy of your wrench.

As for whether the torque information suits your engine, have a look at this link
http://www.daewootech.com/forum/viewtop ... highlight=
especially the section written by PirO which shows you how to identify which engine you have installed. Very nice diagram.
Then you will know for sure if you can use the information.
That being said, I haven't found any different settings for 1.6lt DOHC daewoo engines as far as the headbolts are concerned or the sequence of tightening.

If you can afford one then put a new valve cover gasket on but you can put the old one back on and see if it leaks and then replace it if it does. It is not critical to the operation of the engine, it just keeps the oil from coming out and the oil is not under any great pressure in the valve cover.

gb2615
Lanos - Lots of engineering packed into one little space

Lanos SX 1.6lt DOHC 5spd 09/1997 220kms - No Mods
azazel19
Junior

torque and angle torque

Post by azazel19 »

The confusing thing is the angular torque. If the initial 25nm or 18 ft lbs is met then the angular torque could be off but how can you re-torque the angle portion of it. If it were just a ft lb torque I wouldn't be confuse about the situation but What I think is when my first got the car she had tons of problems with it and the check engine light came on when she drove it home and she took it back a bunch of times and I think the head was changed out and I'm beginnning to believe it wasn't torqued right it's always leaked some I just thought it all was from the valve cover which has a new gasket and it has also had a bad oil cap. I just want to make sure he head is torqued right and I don't know how to do it without messing something up.

I know if I take it somewhere they'll say it needs this and that. I've already got a labor quote from a gm dealer of 1300 dollars labor to replace the head gasket.
Spider
Expert

Head bolts are one time only use "strech" bolts...

Post by Spider »

As I recall...
Check it out, I am 99% sure of this. Once they are torqued they stretch. And should not be used again.
So if you loosen em and re torque em that would be using them again.
I think you can get a new set on E-bay for not too much money.
~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

"The three great essentials to achieving anything worthwhile are; first, hard work, second, stick-to-it-iveness, and third, common sense."
- -- Thomas Edison
Pir0
Expert

Re: Head bolts are one time only use "strech" bolt

Post by Pir0 »

Spider wrote:As I recall...
Check it out, I am 99% sure of this. Once they are torqued they stretch. And should not be used again.
So if you loosen em and re torque em that would be using them again.
I think you can get a new set on E-bay for not too much money.
Yep, yep, and yep
SAZ
---------------------