What triggers EGR??

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

MMamdouh

What triggers EGR??

Post by MMamdouh »

i know whats an EGR and what does it do... i am asking about the trigger for its work

it is supposed to kick in when exhaust gases are hot enough to produce NO gases and as far as i have seen daewoos got no EGT sensors or so and that makes the ECU's decision based on something else other than exhaust temp and i wanna know what isit?

i thought it might be a combo of coolant temp, TB position, RPMs and maybe car speed but i am not sure... got any idea??

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

I don't know the exact triggers, but I believe it would usually kick in during light load and moderate RPMs, say your cruising speed for highway.
2004 Optra/Forenza/Lacetti - 225whp - Haltech Sprint500 - CT12B - Getrag F28 6spd - KW V3 Coilovers - FX35 Retrofit
2002 IS300 5MT - 615whp - AEM EMS - GT4088R - Built 9.5CR - R154 - TRD LSD - SupraTT T/B - Varex - LS430 Retrofit
Turtle_Wax
Junior

Post by Turtle_Wax »

It's operated by ecu, so must take the readings from the various sensors. The amount of egr is controlled by variations in vacuum and exhaust back pressure. The valve opens when engine has warmed up and above idle, although I think it shuts at wot.
Damic

Post by Damic »

Engine on my Lanos is with simple EGR triggered by vacuum hose. The other more sophisticiated EGR's are electronicly triggered maybe with some RPM sensor.
Lanos 1,5 sedan 2001, LPG Lovato-Loveco Pro
Turtle_Wax
Junior

Post by Turtle_Wax »

The vacuum pipe that connects the basic type EGR goes to a black plastic valve thingy (not sure what it's called) and then to the TB. There is an electrical multiplug connected to this plastic valve, which is controled by the ecu to allow vacuum to reach the egr when it's needed. Well I think that's how it works.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Yes.... it's usually taking coolant temperature into consideration and it can tell if the car is under load via the vacuum port ( so basicly it only opens up when the car is warm and driving under load )

If the EGR opens up at idle it would instantly stall the engine.

Some of the newer cars do it through an electronic valve.... which means the ECU decides exactly when to open the EGR.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos