2.0 16v C20XE Conversion - Racer XE

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Good to hear.... just keep a carefull watch on how you drive it until you have time to tune it.
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

KnightWalace wrote: \

Videos PLEASE!!!
I can get pics... but i will try to get a nice digital cam for some quality videos.
Erfinder wrote:Good to hear.... just keep a carefull watch on how you drive it until you have time to tune it.
Belive me im not going to rev it until its fully tuned and remember i've new pistons rings so there some 500 miles to go first before i can step on it :P

BTW it started with the base fuel maps of a 2.2 vtec...
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph
Tim04
Super

Post by Tim04 »

I am happy to hear the progress that is happening. :D I'm really happy for you, I know you have been patiently waiting for that moment for a long time now. Can't wait to see it in action (videos).
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

This morning i drove the car to an exhaust shop to weld the exhaust back..

it had a nice deep sound... i dont rev it more than 3000 rpm...

I got back to Claudio's house (my mechanic) all seems ok...

we got some trouble with a check engine light... we fixed it...

now we're ready to tune it...

The laptop is there telling that all the sensors are OK... the wideband is installed... the engine is sitting around 1000-1200 rpm...

then suddenly a strange sound appears and the engine shuts down...

WTF????? :?:

Claudio checks everything and it seems ok...

he tells me to put 5th... and we try to move the car... and... GUESS WHAT????

THE ENGINE IS FUCKING LOCKED...

He took the valve cover and trys to turn the engine via the crank... we hear a *tap* sound and it locks again...

A very familiar sound to me....

we try to push down the intake lifters in cylinder 2 and no movement...

Honestly i dont know how to say this... but it seems a intake valve broke somehow....

Im very dissapointed right now... tomorrow the head is going out to see if there's damage in the piston or the head...

It seems that these valves are rotted or something...

I think im out of luck...

its 7:40 pm and im going to bed...

Efrain.

PS: Tom... 360dynamics... please try to get a quote for a set of the 16 valves for the XE... also a cometic or stock head gasket...
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

so sorry to hear that man... i hope no sevear damage occured. :roll:

i think you should have got yourself a new set of valves in the begining of the project... especially when you saw the broken exhaust valve when you first started working on the engine.

don't get me wrong... i am not judging or critisizing you man and again i hope it is not something serious.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
Tractor

Post by Tractor »

Sorry to hear that, don?t loose your pacience, you?re getting there!!!

I wish you the very best.

Cheers
Opel Fan
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

the Head's off...

It was an exhaust valve... AGAIN...

it broke in the exact same place as the first one...

there's a hole in the piston, and the head is slighty damage... but the head can be fixed...

indeed the valves are rotted...

Here we go again...

Efrain.
mocpac

Post by mocpac »

man so sorry to hear that. :?
ImageImage
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

Efrain A. wrote:the Head's off...

It was an exhaust valve... AGAIN...

it broke in the exact same place as the first one...

there's a hole in the piston, and the head is slighty damage... but the head can be fixed...

indeed the valves are rotted...

Here we go again...

Efrain.
you mean this is exactly the same valve that broke earlier in the project??... if that is the case then it is not the valve's fault...something is puting so much stress or load on it and causes it to break.

this reminds me of an incedent with a Mercedes Benz where the no. 3 connecting rod broke twice... turned out that it is a crankshaft problem that was detected by a "stiffness detector" or some shit like that.... anyways the point here is that a repeated problem like this is deeper than you think.

check the valve guide, seat, tapies whatever parts are associated with this particular valve and i am sure you will find something off.

reminds me of "Bruce Willis" in "Die Hard" when he said: How can the same shit happen to the same guy twice?!... it is simply because it is deaper than it seems, check that valve throughly and carfully.
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

mmamdouh:

No... its another exhaust valve... i did replace the first one with a brand new one.

comparing the first and this one it broke in the exact SAME place.

im going to post a pic later.

It seems that they're weak for some reason... before i bought this engine it had over a year laying on the floor of an Euro parts shop.

Efrain.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

oic then why don't you replace all of them and get this over with once and for all??

i recon it broke in the area between the face and the rod... i mean if you can divide the valve into a face and a rod, then yours broke where those two parts are attached.

i think this area is the most fragile as it is the hotest thin part of the valves' body so it is the part that usualy breaks, also this happens to the exhaust valves rather than the intake valves because the intake valves get cooled by the fuel mexture whereas the exhaust valves get heated by the exhaust gases.

i still think that you need to replace all the exhaust if not all valves... only GOD knows how much time they got left before they give away.

MMamdouh
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

Im going to do that.. i already quoted them in the UK and Spain...

Yup they broke there... this exhaust valves are sodium filled...
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

Here's the pics...

the most recent one is on the right...

This is the first one:

Im still clueless...

Efrain.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Efrain.... be very carefull about the Sodium.... if I remember correctly its very toxic and can give you severe burns (especially if it reacts with water when you wash your hands)

Sorry to hear about your head problems... what are you going to do about the damaged piston?

If you still have interest in a "turbo" project I could probably send you my old C20GET pistons.... they are slighty worn but I think they are still in good shape.

The 8.0:1 compression would certainly not give you much power when driven naturally aspirated but I'm sure it would get you around until you find a turbo and manifold. (too bad the 8V turbo manifold won't fit )
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

Erfinder,

Thanks for the advice...

Arent the C20GET pistons pressed pin type?

the XE uses a floating pin... that may be a problem...

Anyways i quoted with a guy in the UK for the valves that works for a shop and they have some used XE pistons laying around... and im getting it for "free" with the valves purchase.

Altought im thinking about that C20GET pistons idea. those pistons are forged?

Efrain.