msd to daewoo driver

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

DomWoo
Expert

Post by DomWoo »

the funny thing is that on the lanos, with the extra ground wire... you can unhook it and it will still work because it is grounded through the braket also,

i think it was a just in case wire

maybe gm thought that it was pointless and a did away with it
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

Yeah, too bad I didn't know that before I ordered mine.

I wasted $20 bucks in shipping and restocking fees.

But hey, all in a days work.
Neon Driver

Post by Neon Driver »

Just a heads up, the MSD, and other neon aftermarket coils are pretty much crap. There really is no difference between them and a stock one.

AC
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

The reason we used a neon coil pack is because it has separate driver away from the coil pack.... the optra has the coil pack and driver all in one.... which is why until now you couldn't make the MSD stuff work.

Unfortuantly there is no decent way to hook up and use the stock Daewoo coil pack for this reason.... and after looking at the coil packs MSD had Woohoo decided on the one for the Neon because it would be easy to find a connector for the Neon at the scrap yard. (or that was the theory)

I suppose you could just buy a factory Neon coil pack but it would probably cost more than the MSD one.... and the MSD coil pack has a slightly higher secondary voltage (not by much)

Do you have another suggestion that might be better and has separate coil /driver like the Neon?? ( Eclipse perhaps ??)
Neon Driver

Post by Neon Driver »

Sorry you misinterpreted me, what I ment was, the MSD and screaming Demon coils for the neon are pretty much repackaged stock ones. They have been dynoed on modded cars and have shown no improvement over the stock coil. When you guys are going to the wrecking yard for the neon coil harness, grab the coil as well and save 100 bucks (unless you count the 100 out of your pocket as a weight reduction :D )

AC
DomWoo
Expert

Post by DomWoo »

well actually the coils are made for the eclipse, it just happens that the neon wire harness fits, i dont know if they are the same coil pack, they look the same so hey.. maybe they are, o'well i spent 50$ on my msd coils and got the wire harness for free and ill tell you what.. the spark coming out of those coils are at least 10 times of what comes out of the daewoo/gm coils. loud as hell too and not only did i see it and hear it, ive felt it. maybe ill put my eshaust on and take some pictures if its possible.. looks like a tazor with a 3" spark shooting out of the plug wire 12 times for 20' of the crank
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Ya... I must agree... those sparks were unbeliveable.... at one point WooHoo politely asked me to quit testing it near his radiator as it was starting to make small pits in the aluminum.

I swear some of those arcs had to be 6" long and they made really loud snapping noises.

It reminded me of the time I played with a Tesla coil.... very cool.
Brian5475E
Expert

Post by Brian5475E »

can't wait to get this on my aveo. So all I need is a aftermarket DIS ignition, your convertor box, and a coil off of a neon or eclipse and the plug harness for the coil , and some spark plugs wires Correct? Is the power alot smoother or is there actully more power. More torgue or HP or both?
Aveo that moves! Now I need those cams!
DomWoo
Expert

Post by DomWoo »

well you cant really feel anything but it runs a bit smoother, the sound of the motor changes alot. sounds alot more beefy
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

:roll:

Well I'm sure many of you would like to beat me with a stick since I've been promising to make a MSD driver for a while now and haven't deliverd.

The good news is that I finally got a chance to put a set together.

The next step is to send them to WooHoo and have him try them out.
( By the way I need your home address.... PM me when you get a chance )

Sorry I took so long... It's been a hectic month or two at work and at home.

I tested it out and I figure it should work without a problem but before I start mass producing them I want to make sure that the new design works flawlessly.

I beefed up most of the components and added a couple of "protection" components to keep the driver from being damaged.
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

BRILLIANT!
2000 Daewoo Lanos HB - Its green

Check me out at http://sdconsulting.weebly.com
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

daewooluvr wrote:BRILLIANT!
got to second that!

:wink:
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

hehe...me is excited!! BRILLIANT!!!! :lol:

yeah dude..most imp. is that.....

Post by damian007vk »

yeah dude...great to hear....and yeah...it is really important that it is built to be able to tolerate heat...the last thing we want is the driver's components to start melting and stop working properly due to engine bay heat. The ignition system is very crucial, a malfunction, and boom...catastrophic engine failure...So i am sure all of us are willing to pay the extra 5 or 10 dollars or what not to have a much better built part. In the long run it saves headaches and money.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

won't this mod work better with some Bosch super 4 plugs or so??

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267