lol :lol:
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

buddha102 wrote:
Big Jeff wrote:the timing belt is normally done with the engine in the car
lol :lol:
??? why the LOL???

It's easier to do the work with the engine out... especially if your doing more than just the belt.

I guess it's based upon experience.... I can have the engine sitting on a stand ready for work in a couple of hours.... I'd much rather work on it with good lighting and access to all of the areas of the engine.... which is especially true for setting torque levels on various bolts.

Don't get me wrong..... most people would do it with the engine in.... but it's a piece of cake with it out and there is less chance of breaking things and loosing things with the engine on a stand.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
sheepdizildawg
Expert

Post by sheepdizildawg »

yes i did it in the car, if i had a engine stand and hoist i would have much rather done it out of the car. it was a bitch doing a few things with it in the car. oh well its life. lol. it wasnt to hard, just time consuming because i am 6' 4" and 250 pounds so my hands and body dont fit a lot of places. lol. if i was to redo it and i had the extra money i would def. let someone else do it for me that knew what they were doing. just because of the time it took to do it all. with work, school and waiting for parts, it was a little over a month from when i took the head off till the time i got it started. ok so quick question, i must have missplaced my bolts, but i can not find the nuts to hold the down pipe (pre cat) to the manifold. anyone know what size they are so i can pick some up tomorrow? and are they the same size as the ones on the muffler?? cause those are no where to be found either. lol gosh i loose a lot of stuff.
buddha102
Expert

Post by buddha102 »

cause would it be much better if you did it if the engine is in the car then taking it out changing the belt and putting it back again to the car?

time consuming? no?
sheepdizildawg
Expert

Post by sheepdizildawg »

well i had to change all my valves, all my gaskets, clean some stuff up, i was in a tight garage so i didnt have much room on the sides of my car, and i am a big guy so i dont fit under the car that easily. lol. if i was just doing the belt, i would leave it in the car yeah.
sheepdizildawg
Expert

Post by sheepdizildawg »

does anyone know what size bolt i need?