motor swap

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Spider
Expert

what if......

Post by Spider »

Great photo's MM !!!!!!

It looks to me that under all that "new" stuff is an "old" Daewoo lanos 1.6 engine.

If someone had an old/broken 1.6 (complete) Lanos engine and a (pictured) new Aveo 1.6 engine sitting side by side?
What if they remove the Aveo parts (off the Aveo engine) that were not the same as the lanos parts.
(Like, the complete crankshaft pulley, and all that serpentine belt and it's related pulleys and plastic, PSP, probably the intake manifold too.)

Then take the needed parts off the old/broken Lanos engine and install them on the new Aveo engine.
That would make the 'new' Aveo engine a 'new' Daewoo engine and what was left over could become "extra parts for sale"
;)

P.S. All this is a guess based only on my first thought after viewing the pictures.

:)
~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

"The three great essentials to achieving anything worthwhile are; first, hard work, second, stick-to-it-iveness, and third, common sense."
- -- Thomas Edison
MMamdouh

Re: what if......

Post by MMamdouh »

Spider wrote: Then take the needed parts off the old/broken Lanos engine and install them on the new Aveo engine.
That would make the 'new' Aveo engine a 'new' Daewoo engine and what was left over could become "extra parts for sale"
;)
didn't get the idea here but even if you swapped parts... what will you do to the engine mounts? is their threaded holes in the block to swap the PWS pump and the engine mount and relocate them accordingly?

for me the distictive part between the aveo and lanos engine is the location of the mount so unless you can do something about it you can't swap engines between both cars... at least it won't be a "plug and play" job

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
Spider
Expert

Re: what if......

Post by Spider »

MMamdouh wrote:
Spider wrote: Then take the needed parts off the old/broken Lanos engine and install them on the new Aveo engine.
;)
didn't get the idea here but even if you swapped parts... what will you do to the engine mounts? is their threaded holes in the block to swap the PWS pump and the engine mount and relocate them accordingly?

for me the distictive part between the aveo and lanos engine is the location of the mount so unless you can do something about it you can't swap engines between both cars... at least it won't be a "plug and play" job

MMamdouh

Hey MMamdouh,

Remember, I could be totally wrong and I am just guessing. ;)

The 'raw engine block' can not be seen under the Aveo engine's front and rear timing belt covers.

Now to elaborate on my"guess" :
:lol:

General Motors bought Daewoo and it would have been very expensive and needless for them (or whoever they buy the engines from) to change the engine block casting just to accommodate a different motor mount and power steering pump.

We have all seen un-used threaded holes in various manufactures engines that make us wonder; "whats that for" ?

I have a gut feeling that the Aveo 1.6 is the same old Lanos 1.6 engine block with all the Lanos 1.6 threaded holes etc..

The external Aveo parts that GM added to the lanos engine make the engine more "modern" Like the serpentine belt system, for instance.

Anyway, short of buying a Aveo engine, the only way to truly know all this would be to get 'eyes-on' the Aveo 1.6 engine stripped of all it's tin and plastic covers.

Maybe someone can add to this ?
:)
~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

"The three great essentials to achieving anything worthwhile are; first, hard work, second, stick-to-it-iveness, and third, common sense."
- -- Thomas Edison
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

i hope you are right man, you see: we got daewoos, opels and cheves in here and as we all know they are all GM cars and they share the same engines... our lanoses got the 1.5 SOHC with PWS under the cam gear where as the aveo got the same 1.5 SOHC but with engine mount under cam gear and the Opel corsa got a 1.6 SOHC with engine mount under cam gear as well

so basically you can directly swap a 1600cc 101 HP corsa engine into an aveo and it will be a good upgrade as the 1.6 engine got very good torque... if the PWS and engine mount are swapable then this engine can be used on a lanos as well and for sure it will be a very nice upgrade but as we all know... no one has researched that far enough

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
zack

Post by zack »

I put a replacement 1.6 moter in the car in december. now im having a to replace some valves from a broken timing belt. it just doesn't stop.
2000 Daewoo Lanos
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

when you put the engine in the car did you change the timing belt befor you droped it in?

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
zack

Post by zack »

Yes i did change the belt and all the other components. What happened was the timing idler spun a bearing and caused the belt to slip.
2000 Daewoo Lanos
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

sorry to hear that, shitty luck bro.

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!