Lanos 1.6 DOHC timing belt replacement

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Zydawn

Post by Zydawn »

thanks for that diagram Q
I built one today in less than an hour.
will use it tomorrow.
cant believe the price there asking for it, you should organise a group buy if you can get them made for $10.
as someone mentioned allot of people would buy just to keep in case they need them.

made from a piece of checker plate I had
thanks
Spider
Expert

Re: More specific stuff...

Post by Spider »

cmcon98 wrote:The main things I need to know are:

1. Do you need a puller to remove the crankshaft pulley? Will a three-fingered puller work?

2. The car has 68,000 on it. Should the water pump also be replaced, or are they generally good for more miles than that?

3. Is the Daewoo timing belt tool (basically a big crowfoot wrench) necessary for turning the water pump (which tensions the belt) or is there another way to turn the pump?

4. Is there anything else I should know that will make the job smoother, easier, whatever?

Any advice from people who have done this would be much appreciated!

1...After you remove the crankshaft pulley bolt (with an air impact wrench) you can probably pull the crankshaft gear with your fingers or a couple of small screwdrivers. when you put it back on ? make sure the little woodruff key is in the right place and rub some "anti-seize" into the pulley bore.

2...Yes, The old water pump could "freeze-up" before the next 60 k miles. That would not be a good thing.
Replace the water-pump the idler/tensioner and the timing belt.
Do yourself and your engine a favor by beginning your next 60 thousand miles with all new stuff.

3...I used thin vice grips. I think they cost $5.00 usd a few years ago.

4...all timing marks must be in perfect alignment. Torque everything to factory spec's. Turn the crankshaft a few times by hand (clockwise) after your finished. Take your time, check and double check all your work. You only want to do this job once this time.

keep us posted as to your progress.

Good luck.

:)
~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

"The three great essentials to achieving anything worthwhile are; first, hard work, second, stick-to-it-iveness, and third, common sense."
- -- Thomas Edison
mohsen

Re: More specific stuff...

Post by mohsen »

Spider wrote:
cmcon98 wrote:The main things I need to know are:

1. Do you need a puller to remove the crankshaft pulley? Will a three-fingered puller work?

2. The car has 68,000 on it. Should the water pump also be replaced, or are they generally good for more miles than that?

3. Is the Daewoo timing belt tool (basically a big crowfoot wrench) necessary for turning the water pump (which tensions the belt) or is there another way to turn the pump?

4. Is there anything else I should know that will make the job smoother, easier, whatever?

Any advice from people who have done this would be much appreciated!

1...After you remove the crankshaft pulley bolt (with an air impact wrench) you can probably pull the crankshaft gear with your fingers or a couple of small screwdrivers. when you put it back on ? make sure the little woodruff key is in the right place and rub some "anti-seize" into the pulley bore.

2...Yes, The old water pump could "freeze-up" before the next 60 k miles. That would not be a good thing.
Replace the water-pump the idler/tensioner and the timing belt.
Do yourself and your engine a favor by beginning your next 60 thousand miles with all new stuff.

3...I used thin vice grips. I think they cost $5.00 usd a few years ago.

4...all timing marks must be in perfect alignment. Torque everything to factory spec's. Turn the crankshaft a few times by hand (clockwise) after your finished. Take your time, check and double check all your work. You only want to do this job once this time.

keep us posted as to your progress.

Good luck.

:)
Dear Mr Spider did u mean that the air impact wrench can fix amd remove the cranckshaft pully bolt without rotate the cranckshaft