Sunbird hybrid

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Nubira2.2
Expert

Post by Nubira2.2 »

well the guys here in PR had installed

C20XE pistons on T20SED engine

had no problem with valve clearance and the car runs good and faster than before
Mitsubishi Eclipse GST 304whp 319tq @22psi w EVO 3 16G Daily Driven
DAEWOO Nubira 2.2L Turbo 217whp 204tq @13psi SOLD
decyphex
Junior

Post by decyphex »

Nubira2.2 wrote:well the guys here in PR had installed

had no problem with valve clearance and the car runs good and faster than before
Am I still going to notice quite a difference from my engine(C20NE) with this head/engine swap?
If I did that C20XE swap, I would have to tune it though and I guess there isn't anything to tune the sunbirds with?

Wouldn't I have to start using Mid-grade or premium fuel too, with the increased compression?
C20GET

Post by C20GET »

All I'm saying is the more you change the engine from stock, the tougher you're making the job. There aren't a lot of tools out there to help us tune these things. You can change mechanical parts but it's tougher to make the fuel and spark right after that.

You'll notice a difference between the old and new engine even if the new head/cams are stock. You could switch to a turbo Sunbird computer if, and this is a big if, you can find a way to provide a crank signal that the computer understands. The turbo computer will work fine with an NA engine so you don't need a turbo to go with it.

If you haven't done much work like this before you might want to keep it simple so you can get it done faster and with less headaches. After you get to drive it and enjoy it for a while, then you can start making plans for the next round of changes. That's why I said it might be better to stay stock.

Whatever you decide, good luck and keep the forums updated.
decyphex
Junior

Post by decyphex »

C20GET wrote:All I'm saying is the more you change the engine from stock, the tougher you're making the job. There aren't a lot of tools out there to help us tune these things. You can change mechanical parts but it's tougher to make the fuel and spark right after that.

You'll notice a difference between the old and new engine even if the new head/cams are stock. You could switch to a turbo Sunbird computer if, and this is a big if, you can find a way to provide a crank signal that the computer understands. The turbo computer will work fine with an NA engine so you don't need a turbo to go with it.

If you haven't done much work like this before you might want to keep it simple so you can get it done faster and with less headaches. After you get to drive it and enjoy it for a while, then you can start making plans for the next round of changes. That's why I said it might be better to stay stock.

Whatever you decide, good luck and keep the forums updated.

Alright, you're right and that's most likely what I am going to do.

Thanks,
Kyle
decyphex
Junior

Post by decyphex »

If anyone wants to see pics of the engine so far, go here: http://www.silencefading.com/thumbnails.php?album=6
decyphex
Junior

Post by decyphex »

Is the oil pump on the T20SED the same exact oil pump as the one on the C20NE?

Does anyone have a pic of what the pistons look like in the C20NE?
Corsero

Post by Corsero »

Nubira2.2 wrote:well the guys here in PR had installed

Im new around here so greetings

can u make a compression test with this pistons? i will like to know that
decyphex
Junior

Post by decyphex »

Can anyone tell me what the little holes in the exhaust ports are for on the opel heads.. They are right at the bottom of the ports and don't seem to do anything.
decyphex
Junior

Post by decyphex »

My cams came to me from QED a few days ago. I got the ones they offer for the X20XEV. They have a duration of 260* and lift of .410".

Looking at Kent Cam's website, I see that their sport injection cams are supposed to add about 16bhp. The duration and lift of those cams are quite similar to mine, does anyone think this is actually accurate? It would be great to have a 16bhp gain!

Here's a pic of my new ones too:

PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

decyphex wrote:Can anyone tell me what the little holes in the exhaust ports are for on the opel heads.. They are right at the bottom of the ports and don't seem to do anything.
So far nobody seems to know what the holes are for..... GSiTurbo removed his..... and I probably will as well so that it matches my manifold.

Those Cams look nice..... how much?????

Not sure about the oil pump..... I have both engines.... but the parts are hard to get at right now.

I think the pistons look very similar to the C20GET pisons... I can't remember..... GsiTurbo would know... he's worked on a C20NE before.

I have a C20NE.... but it's completely assembled sitting on a crate.

It was supposed to go into a spare car I had.... but I ended up bashing it up.... so it's sitting waiting for a chassis.

I might throw my C20GET parts on it and run it at low boost..... 6psi would give it a nice healthy powerband.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
eljunito
Expert

Post by eljunito »

Image[/quote]

How much did it cost? Was the delivery fast? Did you had any problems with the order? Does any else knows where to find CAMS X20 XEV
decyphex
Junior

Post by decyphex »

Well Chris, the holes in my exhaust ports are coming out as well and for now I am using the exhaust manifold, so I will grind out the raised areas in it as well. I believe they are resonators of some kind? Thanks for the reply and information. My C20NE (American version in the sunbird) will be coming out soon, so I guess I'll post some pics if I get the chance.

Yes, the cams are very nice. The duration is around 260* and the lift is around .410".

I had no trouble ordering and the cams were to me (I'm in the US on the east coast) in about a week and a half.

They cost £190.00 GBP ($372.31 USD) for a set with an exchange. You can either send your exchange cams off and when QED receives them, they will send the new ones to you, or you can pay a surcharge and they will send out your new cams and when they receive your exchange cams they will refund that charge. The surcharge was about £150.00 GBP ($293.93 USD). Either the exchange method, or you can buy new ones with no exchange for £370.00 GBP ($725.02 USD). The model of cams I got is called the Q405H.

Also, is it best to leave the part in the throttlebody that sticks out a little or should I bore that out?
decyphex
Junior

Post by decyphex »

alright, got all of the parts in for the engine rebuild. The block and head are currently with my machinist.

The only thing missing is one valve spring. The company that sent out the new ones forgot one spring. So I'll be getting that within the next two weeks.

Now all I have to do is get my Z24 on the road so I still have transportation and get the old C20NE out of the sunbird. Things are coming together :)
eljunito
Expert

Post by eljunito »

I have looked for in several companies QED, KENT, PIPER, DBILAS and in the one of kent it has about 256 of duration and mention to use a set of lifter q they sell and has another 278 but for this axis of levies there is q to use valve to retairner, spring, to lifter, cam gears and kit of very expensive serious valve. My question is if all those pieces are necessary since the 278 are high and lif of 11,02 the one of 9,2 T20SE is of lif.
decyphex
Junior

Post by decyphex »

eljunito wrote:I have looked for in several companies QED, KENT, PIPER, DBILAS and in the one of kent it has about 256 of duration and mention to use a set of lifter q they sell and has another 278 but for this axis of levies there is q to use valve to retairner, spring, to lifter, cam gears and kit of very expensive serious valve. My question is if all those pieces are necessary since the 278 are high and lif of 11,02 the one of 9,2 T20SE is of lif.
I'm sorry, Im not fully understanding what you typed.

What I think I got out of it is that you're asking if all that stuff is necessary for the lower lift cams. The answer is no. You dont even have to replace the lifters if you dont want to, I was told this by QED. All I bought was the cams, but no lifters. I might be looking into some adjustable cam gears though. Be careful when on kent cam's site. Make sure you dont get cams for a C20XE (red top) because they will not fit.