lex86 cone filter

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

norbie
Expert

Post by norbie »

Can I see a pic of the "plumbers pipe weld stuff its blue and joins plastic pipes" please?

I'm still trying to get my head around all the bits I will need. If I bought a length of pipe it looks like I can only get 2.5" pipe and bends, does this matter, and how do I cut it?
1999 3-door HB Lanos 1349cc SOHC - 16" Alloys, Short Ram Intake, Strutbar, Alarm & Remote Locking, Electric Windows, CarPC!
www.norbie.co.uk
JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

Well... 2.5" PVC is pretty common. Cutting it is easy (almost any saw will do but a hacksaw is probably best for a cleaner cut).

Look in the plumbing section of your local hardware store to find the pipe weld stuff. I didn't need it when I did mine since my parts were held together with straps. But if you're doing the full CAI setup, then you would need to do something to hold the pipes together (like the pipe weld stuff).
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

indeed... i am using 2.5" piping and used a standard issue saw to cut it.

the thing is i am not using any welds to hold the parts together, i just shoved the pipes inside each other and pressed them really hard and now it is a bitch trying to take them off.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
lex86

Post by lex86 »

MMamdouh wrote:... i just shoved the pipes inside each other and pressed them really hard and now it is a bitch trying to take them off.
Yeah i did that for my SRI before i had the pipes dropping into the wheel well, at first i just shoved the pipes together but it wasnt a tight fit like i could just wiggle them to get it apart. Then i figured that since i didnt want to hear my engine get louder followed by a crunching sound (of the pod filter getting crushed) i'd glue it together.

But yeah, norbie just ask your local hardware store for pvc stormwater pipe and some plumbers glue to join it together. they should have it all.

arwYeah, next mod for my car... Any ideas? (should i make a new thread?)

I was thinking either a front strut bar and some 15" rims (lots of hotted up cars that get trashed in this area so junkyards have heaps :P :D :D [ like the other day i saw a set of Nissan R34 Skyline 'Nismo' 16" rims with rubber for $495; barely a scuff on them.])
-Lex

The future will come!
Told ya, its already here!
JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

The R34 Skyline is sweet, but I don't know if they have the right bolt pattern (probably not).

Definately make a new thread for your other mods... and I dunno what you should do. :D
lex86

Post by lex86 »

yeah man, i'll post some piccies soon but i did a front gril mod.

Carved out the old plastic stuff and chromed then put some metallic-blue lattice behind it, looks so good.

Pics will be here tomorrow.
-Lex

The future will come!
norbie
Expert

Post by norbie »

I finally got mine done :)

I just put a small PVC pipe onto the airbox tube and put the filter on the end of it in the engine bay, resting in the bottom half of the airbox so it could get cold air.

PICS -> http://www.daewootech.com/forum/viewtop ... 0648#60648

I tried without the bottom section of the airbox in there but it was much quieter.

I almost get nice "bubbling" noise now :)

Lex - Make sure you show me your grill pics - you seem to be doing all the mods that i want to do at the moment and creating great inspiration :)
1999 3-door HB Lanos 1349cc SOHC - 16" Alloys, Short Ram Intake, Strutbar, Alarm & Remote Locking, Electric Windows, CarPC!
www.norbie.co.uk
lex86

Post by lex86 »

Yeah man, grill pics will be up in the exterior/detailing section.

Wootah!
-Lex

The future will come!