Timing belt install help?

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

ticking is almosy always associated with valves, retainers, lifters (tappets), springs, etc

make sure you have plenty of oil in that thing!!!!! low oil is a notrious cause of valve tick.

but yes, where is it coming from? and you'll think i'm stupid... but can you count roughly how maby times it ticks in 15 seconds at idle? just to see if one valve is clicking or more.
mrbnew

Post by mrbnew »

mmamdouh wrote:
Audacityracing wrote:DOES ANYONE KNOW THE PISTON LOCATION WHEN THE CRANK IS ROTATED TO IT'S CORRECT TIMING LOCATION ALIGNMENT?
i don't know for sure but on other cars that notch usualy marks the TDC for cyl. 1 so in this case both cyl. 1 & 4 will be at TDC... this is not a confirmed fact' i just thought that logical thinking will lead to this conclusion.

still wating for solid confirmation on that.

MMamdouh
This is correct, when the crank is lined up with the notch 1 & 4 are at TDC.
mrbnew

Post by mrbnew »

Audacityracing wrote:i firgured for ease of timing it would be tdc as well... which gives you the perfect setup to damage a valve by rotaing the wrong way :shock:

therefore... i think we should make an amendment to the how to to talk about that. if you are a person who has performed a head gasket replacement... this would be very very valuable info to prevent something nasty from happening to your woo!
It looks like he wouldn't have to move it back that much by his picture in post one. Mine was the same way until I installed the belt and gave it two full rotations. After that it lined up perfectly.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

i figured that too... you only need to rotate the cam gear just a little (no more than45 degrees) in such cases.

only way you will need a big adjustment if you messed up the timing someway that it is totally of... only then can the valves be damaged if cam gear was rotated in the wrong direction WITH too much force applied.

i wanted to ammend the How to topic just to cover the worst case senario in case one of the cams were way off for one reason or another.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
mrbnew

Re: Another question

Post by mrbnew »

lukea37 wrote:It was running rough because the timing mark on the cam gears where out 1 notch. I fixed this and the car is now running normal however it is now making a tick, tick, ticking noise.

The more revs you give the car the faster it ticks. It was not doing this before I installed the timing belt.

Any idea's as to what this could be.

Once again I thank everyone for your help.
I had the same problem until I took it out and gave it a little hell. I was mad because after all that work it ticked so I took it out and beat it up a little. After that it smoothed out and ran fine.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

mrbnew wrote:
mmamdouh wrote:
Audacityracing wrote:DOES ANYONE KNOW THE PISTON LOCATION WHEN THE CRANK IS ROTATED TO IT'S CORRECT TIMING LOCATION ALIGNMENT?
i don't know for sure but on other cars that notch usualy marks the TDC for cyl. 1 so in this case both cyl. 1 & 4 will be at TDC... this is not a confirmed fact' i just thought that logical thinking will lead to this conclusion.

still wating for solid confirmation on that.

MMamdouh
This is correct, when the crank is lined up with the notch 1 & 4 are at TDC.
i concur... saw a Nubi engine was beeing rebuilt at my mechanic's shop yesterday and indeed it is.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267