Grounding kit

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Frankiewoo

Post by Frankiewoo »

ok what kind of wires and other things do i need to do this and where do i get i want to do it this weekend, u guys can email me at fpolicaro@aol.com thanks guys :twisted:
FoRk
Junior

Post by FoRk »

you should follow the stock grounding and ground all of the grounding points, then take off the stock grounding. thats the Correct way to do it.
95 Eclipse GS-Turbo
mods: Greddy Type-S BOV, Greddy Intercooler Piping, Injen Intake, Act 2100 Clutch, Act Xact flywheel, Apexi N1 Downpipe and Catback Exhaust, MCB Set to 16 PSI, BuddyClub2 Bodykit (Not Installed) and Greddy FMIC(not installed)
Frankiewoo

Post by Frankiewoo »

take off the stock grounding and replace it with the other wires, so what do i need to buy???
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Post by TheGreatAndPowerfulOz »

Frankiewoo wrote:take off the stock grounding and replace it with the other wires, so what do i need to buy???
Six 4ga ring terminals with plastic sleeves. The should be less than $1.50 each.

10 ft of 4ga wire. I used welding cable from a local welding shop because it was only 60 cents per foot. You will have extra, but too much is better than too little.

Use a flat screwdriver & a hammer to start the crimp of the ring terminal, and then finish crimping it in a bench vice.

Solder the crimped ring terminal with flux core solder and heat the terminal and wire end with a propane torch because a soldering iron/gun will not get hot enough.

Remember, measure all your wire runs before you cut any of the cable to make sure you have the right length for each piece.

Also ... make sure you clean all the paint away from the grounding points on the body until they are shiney, bare metal and make sure the engine block ground point has been cleaned so it is shiney.

I used a dremel with a stone grinding bit to grind the paint away.

To locate a welding shop near you (in the US) go to www.superpages.com
In the 'Category' type in 'welding supply', then choose your city & state.
This will locate welding supply shops near you. Call them and ask if they carry 4ga flexable welding cable. If they do, then go buy some from them.
I had to call 3 shops before I found one that had the cable.

Any more questions.... just ask.
FoRk
Junior

Post by FoRk »

TheGreatAndPowerfulOz wrote:
Frankiewoo wrote:take off the stock grounding and replace it with the other wires, so what do i need to buy???
Six 4ga ring terminals with plastic sleeves. The should be less than $1.50 each.

10 ft of 4ga wire. I used welding cable from a local welding shop because it was only 60 cents per foot. You will have extra, but too much is better than too little.

Use a flat screwdriver & a hammer to start the crimp of the ring terminal, and then finish crimping it in a bench vice.

Solder the crimped ring terminal with flux core solder and heat the terminal and wire end with a propane torch because a soldering iron/gun will not get hot enough.

Remember, measure all your wire runs before you cut any of the cable to make sure you have the right length for each piece.

Also ... make sure you clean all the paint away from the grounding points on the body until they are shiney, bare metal and make sure the engine block ground point has been cleaned so it is shiney.

I used a dremel with a stone grinding bit to grind the paint away.

To locate a welding shop near you (in the US) go to www.superpages.com
In the 'Category' type in 'welding supply', then choose your city & state.
This will locate welding supply shops near you. Call them and ask if they carry 4ga flexable welding cable. If they do, then go buy some from them.
I had to call 3 shops before I found one that had the cable.

Any more questions.... just ask.
if you want the bling factor just go to a sound store and get speaker wire or something.
95 Eclipse GS-Turbo
mods: Greddy Type-S BOV, Greddy Intercooler Piping, Injen Intake, Act 2100 Clutch, Act Xact flywheel, Apexi N1 Downpipe and Catback Exhaust, MCB Set to 16 PSI, BuddyClub2 Bodykit (Not Installed) and Greddy FMIC(not installed)
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

True... just get any colour speaker wire you feel would look best under your hood.

I had only suggested welding cable because of it's low price, high temperature resistance and flexability.
Frankiewoo

Post by Frankiewoo »

I think i might go with the speaker wire, since it woul be easier to find, so are we all in agreement where to ground to, negative to 2 or 3 body poits and teh positive to the alternator right :twisted:
FoRk
Junior

Post by FoRk »

the grounding on my daewoo is ghetto, im goin to buy some speaker wire tomorrow and redo it, i will get pics.
95 Eclipse GS-Turbo
Frankiewoo

Post by Frankiewoo »

ok but what points of ground do I use, i mean 2 body points or 3 and pos to alternator right??? :twisted:
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Frankiewoo wrote:ok but what points of ground do I use, i mean 2 body points or 3 and pos to alternator right??? :twisted:
Again... look @ the pics I took. They show EXACTLY where the grounds go, and where to hook up the alternator output positive to the battery positive.

Do *NOT* connect the battery positive to the frame/body/case of the alternator, that is a ground and will short out the battery. ONLY connect it to the bolt on the back of the alternator that is the positive output.

Carefully look @ all the pics I took, they should be a good guide.

http://members.cox.net/thegreatandpower ... index.html
Frankiewoo

Post by Frankiewoo »

thanks OZ much appreciated :twisted: should get it done by the end of the week i start school tommorow :(
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

good job guys, I hope to have this mod done in the next couple of weeks. The timing belt, tensioner, and accessory belts come first tho.
2000 Daewoo Lanos HB - Its green

Check me out at http://sdconsulting.weebly.com
FoRk
Junior

Post by FoRk »

i just finished this on my eclipse, and i might do it on the daewoo also, i followed the instructions from this site, yes its a eclipse there doing it on but you get the idea.

http://dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread. ... adid=75889

will get pics soon.
95 Eclipse GS-Turbo
blinkme323

Post by blinkme323 »

Right now I have the Sun Auto hyper ground wire kit on my car, it's a little pricey, but it looks great and does its job if your looking for one out of the box. Later
FoRk
Junior

Post by FoRk »

blinkme323 wrote:Right now I have the Sun Auto hyper ground wire kit on my car, it's a little pricey, but it looks great and does its job if your looking for one out of the box. Later
how much did you pay?
95 Eclipse GS-Turbo