Prototype Cold air intake for Lacetti/Optra/Forenza

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Well.... the second prototype is finished but the jury is still out on whether it is as good as the first prototype.

It's certainly quieter but I think it moved the "resonance point" up into the higher RPM levels as I don't feel that it pulls as hard as the first prototype.

The main difference was moving the "reserve tank" further up towards the throttle body.

The first one had the reserve tank very low.... right at the bottom of the filter.

The second one increased the size of the reserve tank by about a foot.

This resulted in less noise because the intake pipe sucking from the reserve tank is further away from the cone filter (by about a foot)

We are of the opinion that this might decrease the air velocity slightly but it's hard to say without testing it on a flow meter.

It will take a little while for the ECU to adjust so it's quite possible that it might make more power after driving it for a few hours.

I guess the only way to really see what is going on is to get it on the Dyno and check things out.
silver1

Post by silver1 »

Cant wait for the results, my guess is anywhere from 10-15 hp.
DomWoo
Expert

Post by DomWoo »

you have to remember though, you are basing your guess off other intakes and what they claim to gain

who knows, if you can feel it as much as Chris is saying you can then you could be alot more then 15hp or it could be alot less. wont know until there is numbers on a chart
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

Damnit... im so anxious. :cry:
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

The second prototype is indeed here and ready. I would like to use this opportunity to thank Erfinder with the buildup, particularly in the superb welding skills. He does some indeed smooth and fine welds, top notch!! :wink:

I do agree on the car feel. While there seems to be similar pick-up, with much lower noise level, in the mid-range, the upper end felt differently. I didnt experience the sudden VTEC effect while on the high rpm. This sudden, superb injection of power in the last 1600-1700 rpm...I wish this engine would rev higher... I have a feeling the 2nd system will not be the same performer..

As far as the intake goes. There is a common misception about the CAI air systems. Most stories, and ads may claim about 15 psi in the hp increase. This may be true on a big V8 engines, but on a 4 cylinder, 2.0-2.4l range, the incrase will most likely be about 2bhp in the mid-range, and perhaps 6-7 in the top range. Increases of 15 or more psi may, however, be noticed on an engine with some existing work, including:

- 4-2-1 headers
- free-flowing exhaust, but tuned to the N/A engine. Too much free-flow will hurt the torque.
- some cylinder head port work
- adjustable cam gears

But there are always exceptions to the rule....we'll all know on tue.

Post by kinkyllama »

I wanna thank you and erfinder for getting stuff going for these cars. . . its great.
silver1

Post by silver1 »

Ditto, here here!
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Thank GSiTurbo.... it's his company.... I have absolutely zero connection with 360Dynamics.

The reason I'm a "test bench" is that Tom is now working for me in our electronics lab and machine shop so it's easy for us to do work after hours.... and I have all the equipment required to make pretty much anything out of anything.

We do all kinds of stuff.... everything from manufacturing electronics to fibreglass work to machine shop work.... we manufacture goods from Steel, Aluminum, Stainless steel, Solid PVC, Fibreglass, Rotational molded Plastics, Injection Molded plastics, Plexiglass, Wood, special composites, brass, silver, Phenolic pressboard, Arborite, Lead... and a few other things here and there.

I've made cast aluminum pieces in the past but it's a huge pain in the ass... machining it from a solid chunk of material is more cost efficent for low production levels.

I've yet to play with Carbon Fibre or Kevlar but I hope to dabble in it with my new door panels.... I started fibreglassing things when I was 12 years old.... I used to repair my hockey sticks ( damaged a new one during every game and repaired it for use in practice )