Red antifreeze for Lanos?

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Turtle_Wax
Junior

Red antifreeze for Lanos?

Post by Turtle_Wax »

I'm due to do a coolant / antifreeze change on my Lanos and was wondering if it's ok to use the longlife red colour antifreeze? Last time I used the basic green stuff. I know you can't mix the green & red together but if I completely flush out my cooling system can I then use the red stuff?
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

im not totaly sure. i know that if your car origionally came with dex-cool (the redis stuff) you cant change to green cause it will cause problems. i wouldnt risk it id just go with the trusty alien blood.

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

There are conventional coolants out there that are green and will run for 100,000 miles. Look at the ingredients. If it says ethylene gylcol, you should be all set.
AntDX316
Junior

Post by AntDX316 »

havoline dex-cool extended life is the best coolant
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

AntDX316 wrote:havoline dex-cool extended life is the best coolant
for cars that origionally ran dex-cool, its not wise to change some thing like your coolant to another one.

buddha102
Expert

Post by buddha102 »

just go and see ur owners manual :)
Spider
Expert

Re: Red antifreeze for Lanos?

Post by Spider »

Turtle_Wax wrote:I'm due to do a coolant / antifreeze change on my Lanos and was wondering if it's ok to use the longlife red colour antifreeze? Last time I used the basic green stuff. I know you can't mix the green & red together but if I completely flush out my cooling system can I then use the red stuff?
I wouldn't. See what Daewoo recommends and use that.
The guy I bought my 95 Ford from used the "long-life" red stuff in it and it rusted out a small metal by-pass hose.
The only way to replace the hose was to remove the intake manifold. It's a 4.6 and quite a project.
I had a shop do the work. The car was down for two days and cost me some large dollars.
Since than I've used the "basic green stuff" in it and my woo.
They like it.
:)
~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

"The three great essentials to achieving anything worthwhile are; first, hard work, second, stick-to-it-iveness, and third, common sense."
- -- Thomas Edison
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

4.6? isn't that the 300 straight 6. thats what i have in my 93 f150. 194,000 miles and still runs like a champ! that has to be one of the best engines ever built... by any car company!

Turtle_Wax
Junior

Post by Turtle_Wax »

Thanks for replies. I stuck with a good quality green ethylene glycol. I flushed out the old stuff in the rad but couldn't find an engine drain plug so I filled up with plain water and ran engine until thermostat opened to allow the old coolant in the engine & heater to mix with the plain water in the radiator and flushed it out. I did that a few times until the expansion tank remained clear water with no trace of old antifreeze.

According to the handbook the cooling system takes 7 litres so for a 50/50 mix I was going to put 3.5ltrs of antifreeze but could only manage to get 3 litres in before it reached the max mark. I'll take it for a run and when cooled see if the level has dropped a bit.
Spider
Expert

Post by Spider »

daewoomofo wrote:4.6? isn't that the 300 straight 6. thats what i have in my 93 f150. 194,000 miles and still runs like a champ! that has to be one of the best engines ever built... by any car company!
Mofo..
I hate to disappoint you but its the V-8 (1995 Ford t-bird) Ford 8's and the big six's are very strong.
the 300 6's are great engines. yours is just startin to get "broken in" at 194K.
I got about 150K on the bird and it runs like new. won't burn oil, no problems. It sat for a year and I had to re-smog test it (california smog tests have you bitting your fingernails down to nothin while they test it.)
It passed and was well within the strict standards this state has.
If I drive it slow? It will get about 24 MPG on the highway. But its a fast car and that is hard to do.
And nowadays w/gas out here running about $4.25 a gallon ?.. I hardly ever use it and it is just sitting & waiting for me and the birds are craping on it. very sad.
So now my woo is getting all the action. Honda M/C gets the best gas milage (50~55 MPG) and I use it quite a bit for fun and errands that don't require 2 hours worth of bungie cording stuff on the back. The woo is the grocery getter and I am sure happy I got it back on the road last year. It will last a long time. It just stays the same I hope i never get tired of it because its so reliable and stays the same. If i ever do get tired of it I will just get it repainted and pretend it's a new car. :)
~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

"The three great essentials to achieving anything worthwhile are; first, hard work, second, stick-to-it-iveness, and third, common sense."
- -- Thomas Edison
Spider
Expert

Post by Spider »

Turtle_Wax wrote:Thanks for replies. I stuck with a good quality green ethylene glycol. I flushed out the old stuff in the rad but couldn't find an engine drain plug so I filled up with plain water and ran engine until thermostat opened to allow the old coolant in the engine & heater to mix with the plain water in the radiator and flushed it out. I did that a few times until the remained clear water with no trace of old antifreeze.

According to the handbook the cooling system takes 7 litres so for a 50/50 mix I was going to put 3.5ltrs of antifreeze but could only manage to get 3 litres in before it reached the max mark. I'll take it for a run and when cooled see if the level has dropped a bit.
Sounds like your "good to go"
keep checking your resavour bottle/expansion tank for air, you can bleed it off while its hot.
but be careful it's not too hot..just crack open the cap a little while it's running and at a bit below.
normal operating temp.
:)
~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

- -- Thomas Edison