Hydrogen Fuel cell kits for Daewoo

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

mr_g
Expert

Post by mr_g »

PrecisionBoost wrote:Basicly this is just simple Electrolysis...... O2 gas will form at the anode and H2 gas will form at the cathode..... nothing special or unique here.... for anyone who doesn't know what electrolysis is..... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrolysis_of_water
This process is very, very slow, and needs a lot of electricity.... So it could not be used online in the car...
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Yes, it requires a fair bit of power but it's not a slow reaction.... if you push several hundred amps into the system it will create massive bubbling and lots of gas.

The more amps the faster the reaction occurs..... it's a direct relation.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

from working at a plateing shop i can tell you that you dont need extremly high amperage (a copuple hundred would be sufficiant) and low voltage (less than 12 volts). i have to deal with hydrogen from electrolysis from work, we use lots of electricity and it is conducted through fluid. while im at work if i dont turn the powere to a tank off before i pull parts out of there i can (and have) caused explosions from hydrogen gasses that form and get trapped in bubbles, any small spark and you can get quite the bang. you also have hydrogen gasses being caused by the battery in your cars. i personally think that powering your car with hydrogen from electrolysis is closer than most people think.

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

2V is more than enough if an intermediate electrolyte is used to increase conduction.

Basicly water has a fairly high impedance.... so it's hard to push a great deal of current through it unless you add an electrolyte to help promote the conduction of current.

Basicly an amp is a coulomb per second so you can use that to calculate the number of mols of H2 and O2 gas produced per second and then you can convert that into grams, then used STP to calculate volume created per second.

I'd do the math.... but I'm lazy. :)

Electrolysis is not a good way to get hydrogen and oxygen out of water.... in fact it's rarely better than 50% to 70% efficent

There have been quite a few advances with the use of microwaves and the resonance of water to increase that efficency

The higher the frequency the lower the impedance of water.... and therefore higher amperages can be used and the efficency goes up.

Many of the original resonance style electrolysis experiments were done at lower frequencies such as 32KHz... it's only lately that microwaves have become preferable.

You can actually recycle heat from the engine to increase the temperature of the water which adds to the total energy of the system (thus reducing the amount of electricity required... making the process more efficent )

There is some experimentation with ultra high heat (and pressure) where they manage to keep water in liquid form at 800 deg C, then they use current to separate the molecule.... I can't remember but I don't think the gas forms right away.... I think it had to be depressureized and then the H2/O2 starts to come out of solution ( kind of like when you open a can of pop.... the CO2 is released and makes it fizz )

It's been five or six years since I was involved in electrolysis research..... I guess that's what happens when you get married and have kids :)
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
kompressor

Post by kompressor »

...just to inform U all cells have been tested on a car and works pretty damn well(its a kadett 1.6d :p )
...U can actually hear engine works better....calmer....more responsive 8)
...cells are now out of the car due to upgrading...
....will keep u posted :arrow:
AntDX316
Junior

Post by AntDX316 »

most likely it does work

the only problem is having to pop ur hood everytime u fill up tho im not sure if u have to

i would definitly do this but im turboing my car i probably would do it to my parents cars if u dont to have keep refilling it cause the people r reporting very high MPGs much better than hybrids

oh btw i read this
MAINTENANCE: Little service needed, maybe 5 minutes a week
little effort for big savings
kompressor

Post by kompressor »

....1L of water produces xxxx HHO(dont really remember but big number(makes U think :shock: ))
....important thing is to configure the cells properly(lot of experimenting ;) )

the only problem is having to pop ur hood everytime u fill up tho im not sure if u have to

...not too often, but U gotta pop Ur hood every once in a while anyways......right ;)
kyle172

More photos of kits

Post by kyle172 »

If anyone does this please make sure to get a FLASHBACK FLAME ARRESTOR or else you will be screwed

[/img]