Check Engine light

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

kyle172

Check Engine light

Post by kyle172 »

For the last 2 years my check engine light has been staying on. I had it serviced for the 2002 recall about the 02 sensor catching on fire or whatever that was. But still the light still comes on..

Someone was telling me it could be the map sensor or the o2 sensor? another thing I noticed is that recently it has been taking longer for my 2002 Leganza to startup. I don't know if that is something else or not
buddha102
Expert

Post by buddha102 »

Where u live btw...? U can go to AutoZone and they can check ur computer for free and tell u whats wrong and what are some possibilities of causing the problem :)
Spider
Expert

Post by Spider »

buddha102 wrote:......." U can go to AutoZone and they can check ur computer for free and tell u whats wrong and what are some possibilities of causing the problem :)
Yep, and you can also buy your own code reader. Comes in very handy. I got one off e-bay for around $20.00 USD.
Once you "read" your computer the reader will give you a code number that you can look up. You than will know why your check engine light is on.

:)
~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

"The three great essentials to achieving anything worthwhile are; first, hard work, second, stick-to-it-iveness, and third, common sense."
- -- Thomas Edison
kyle172

Post by kyle172 »

Yeah I'm always buying stuff off of eBay. I looked that up but where is the connection where you plug it in at on Leganza?:
buddha102
Expert

Post by buddha102 »

well i think for all cars its where are the pedals or right when u open the u will see like fuses, ect. check there ;)
kyle172

Post by kyle172 »

I bought a reader I checked a local shop like Autozone. They wanted $80 for a OBD scan. I bought the reader for $20 on ebay, I hooked the reader up and got the Code P0342

Camshaft Position Sensor A-Bank 1 Circuit Low input

Can anyone give me a idea, How to fix this issue
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

you trolly need a new camshaft sensor. and autozone does free obd2 scans. whoever told you that its $80 should be reported to corperate offices. ive had MANY free scans at autozone.

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

He said a shop "like" Autozone...not Autozone itself. $80 is actually pretty reasonable for "engine diagnostics" which is what they in fact wanted to do.

Autozone WILL give you a free check though. And I'm pretty sure ONLY Autozone. Advance told me they didn't offer the service.
Spider
Expert

Post by Spider »

kyle172 wrote:I bought a reader I checked a local shop like Autozone. They wanted $80 for a OBD scan. I bought the reader for $20 on ebay, I hooked the reader up and got the Code P0342

Camshaft Position Sensor A-Bank 1 Circuit Low input

Can anyone give me a idea, How to fix this issue
It may or may not be a camshaft sensor. Don't know if they were ever recalled for your vehicle. You can find out (recall) by going to the Daewoo of America website (look for 'recall' link, you will need your "vin" #)

I had that code and it was not the sensor but a pinched wire (that supply's power to the injectors) check the positive connections, grounds and condition of those wires with a digital meter (could be pinched under the valve cover) and at the sensor connection.
If its a intermittent (loose or shorted wire) after something like 20 successful engine starts? The CEL will go out. Well, at least untill you hit the next big road bump. If that is happening ? probably is a short/wire connection.
This code is not serious, it won't stop a running engine but it can cause hard (prolonged starter cranking before your engine starts) and a slight more fuel usage than normal.
~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

"The three great essentials to achieving anything worthwhile are; first, hard work, second, stick-to-it-iveness, and third, common sense."
- -- Thomas Edison
kyle172

Post by kyle172 »

I e-mailed Daewoo. I was suprised by the quickness of their customer service through e-mail. He told me that the sensor is just faulty and will probably need to be replaced. I've had my car serviced for the recall already. No freebies here

I tryed locating the Cam position sensor and I can find it. Where is this located? anyone have a picture of this of where the location of it is?
mikedudley17
Super

Post by mikedudley17 »

i think mmamdouh had some pics of it layin around here somewhere...

and i must ask, why did you let ur CEL stay on for 2 years?
kyle172

Post by kyle172 »

Ahh I went to get it fixed for the recall, Then just forgot about it got caught up in life I could say..Wasn't a priorty. But lately I noticed my engine is chugging more gas than anything. I'm also getting everything ready for my hydrogen kit I'm gonna install soon. There is another post about that on here.

I just wanted to get my car in good shape, so I noticed all these things when gas started to go up and I started experimenting :D :idea: