camshaft/camgears identification

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

aaronrus

camshaft/camgears identification

Post by aaronrus »

i recently had a headshop replace all the bent valves on my 2000 1.6 lanos.. everything is back together, i have good compression, good spark, the timing belt is installed properly, new fuel, good fuel pressure, but still it wont fire up. i am wondering if they installed either the camshafts and /or the camgears backwards. do you know how i can tell if either the camshafts and/or the camgears are swapped and in the wrong place?

thanks for your help.

Aaron
stickpony@gmail.com
gb2615

Post by gb2615 »

Hi aaronrus

I have a AD16M engine in my Lanos. It is a DOHC engine but you will need to verify which engine you have in your car to make sure the information is useful.

You can identify the camshafts by removing the top timing belt cover to expose the camshaft gears on the end of the gears will be stamped an "I" for Intake and an "E" for Exhaust. See picture below.
Be extra careful that you have the correct I and E since you may find more letters on the gears including I's and E's.
The ones you want are stamped next to the timing marks on the edge of each gear.

Lanos - Lots of engineering packed into one little space

Lanos SX 1.6lt DOHC 5spd 09/1997 220kms - No Mods
aaronrus

Post by aaronrus »

gb2615 wrote:Hi aaronrus

I have a AD16M engine in my Lanos. It is a DOHC engine but you will need to verify which engine you have in your car to make sure the information is useful.

You can identify the camshafts by removing the top timing belt cover to expose the camshaft gears on the end of the gears will be stamped an "I" for Intake and an "E" for Exhaust. See picture below.
Be extra careful that you have the correct I and E since you may find more letters on the gears including I's and E's.
The ones you want are stamped next to the timing marks on the edge of each gear.

what about the actual camshafts themselves though? how do you identify which camshaft is exhaust and which one is intake? you were sayingin your thread that you swapped your actual camshafts. from what i can tell, either gear can go on either camshaft, so two things could be out of whack on my head, not just one...