Another "Lanos will not run after broken timing belt&qu

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

aaronrus

Another "Lanos will not run after broken timing belt&qu

Post by aaronrus »

my timing belt snapped, all the valves bent, the car is a 2000 Lanos with 66k miles, i had a head shop do the work on the heads. i have good compression across the board, i have good fuel pressure and delivery, good spark, every thing is hooked up properly...

two questions: what is the firing order of the 2000 1.6 model, so i can check to see if that is correct, and how do i tell if they possibly reversed the camshafts and /or cam gears on my car?

thanks for your help,

Aaron
NubiraDellwoo

Re: Another "Lanos will not run after broken timing bel

Post by NubiraDellwoo »

aaronrus wrote:my timing belt snapped, all the valves bent, the car is a 2000 Lanos with 66k miles, i had a head shop do the work on the heads. i have good compression across the board, i have good fuel pressure and delivery, good spark, every thing is hooked up properly...

two questions: what is the firing order of the 2000 1.6 model, so i can check to see if that is correct, and how do i tell if they possibly reversed the camshafts and /or cam gears on my car?

thanks for your help,

Aaron
Check and be sure you plugged the cam sensor back in ?

Double check everything...
'01 Nubira SE 2.0
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

'i have good fuel pressure and delivery, good spark'
Kinda sways me away from thinking camsensor, but check anyway. As for the firing order, and cams, sorry i've honestly no idea what it is on a lanos or what the difference in appearance the cams have.
SAZ
---------------------
gb2615

Post by gb2615 »

Hi aaronrus
You asked about the firing order and how to identify whether the camshafts have been correctly replaced.
I have a AD16M engine in my Lanos. It is a DOHC engine but you will need to verify which engine you have in your car to make sure the information is useful.

You can identify the camshafts by removing the top timing belt cover to expose the camshaft gears on the end of the gears will be stamped an "I" for Intake and an "E" for Exhaust. See picture below.
Be extra careful that you have the correct I and E since you may find more letters on the gears including I's and E's.
The ones you want are stamped next to the timing marks on the edge of each gear.

You also wanted to know the firing order which is 1-3-4-2.
But just so you know which is piston 1 etc, have a look at the picture below.

If the engine shop has done their job and replaced the parts correctly it should be running for you.
If the parts are correctly replaced and if you have good compression, then just keep working through the usual things. You will eventually find the cause of the problem if you persist.

Let us know how you have gone.
All the best.

gb2615
Lanos - Lots of engineering packed into one little space

Lanos SX 1.6lt DOHC 5spd 09/1997 220kms - No Mods
aaronrus

Post by aaronrus »

gb2615 wrote:Hi aaronrus
You asked about the firing order and how to identify whether the camshafts have been correctly replaced.
I have a AD16M engine in my Lanos. It is a DOHC engine but you will need to verify which engine you have in your car to make sure the information is useful.

You can identify the camshafts by removing the top timing belt cover to expose the camshaft gears on the end of the gears will be stamped an "I" for Intake and an "E" for Exhaust. See picture below.
Be extra careful that you have the correct I and E since you may find more letters on the gears including I's and E's.
The ones you want are stamped next to the timing marks on the edge of each gear.

You also wanted to know the firing order which is 1-3-4-2.
But just so you know which is piston 1 etc, have a look at the picture below.

If the engine shop has done their job and replaced the parts correctly it should be running for you.
If the parts are correctly replaced and if you have good compression, then just keep working through the usual things. You will eventually find the cause of the problem if you persist.

Let us know how you have gone.
All the best.

gb2615

thanks for the info bro.. the last question i have, is how do i identify the camshafts themselves, and tell if they placed the actual camshafts in the wrong place? from what i understand from reading, the camgears can be swapped and accidentally put on the wrong side, and the actual camshafts themselves can also be swapped. i am trying to figure out if the headshop did a correct job. I have eliminated practically everything else. before i procede further, i need to determine if the headjob itself is to blame.
jak4calibrah

Post by jak4calibrah »

hey mate, if the cam sprockets are in the right order then just whip on the rocker cover, no need to tighten it down and put the lead in the correct way and everything else in it's correct position and givit a crank... if it starts turn it off and do the rocker cover properly if not the keep persuing to find the camshaft numbers.
gb2615

Post by gb2615 »

Hi aaronrus

I can't really tell you if there is an easy way to tell which is the exhaust camshaft and which is the intake camshaft. If you read through my "war and peace" effort on my problem "Lanos will not run after rebuild from broken timing belt" in this forum, I simply managed to swap the "whole" camshafts including gears over.
I found this amazingly easy since the gears were never seperated from the camshafts themselves.

My problem showed up as the engine nearly running when cranked but never actually running by itself without cranking. There was certainly some assistance to the cranking from the late firing of each stroke but this was due to the timing error caused by the camshaft swap.
I could verify all other requirements like spark and fuel and compression but the engine just never ran by itself. It just kept "wanting" to run but as soon as you stopped cranking, it stopped turning. Does your problem with engine show up the same way as I have described?

The best I can find in way of identifying the actual camshafts is shown in the image below which shows the actual parts described in a Daewoo parts reference. It shows both shafts to have the same "part number". This would lead me to think they are made and sold in matched pairs.

Good luck.
gb2615
Lanos - Lots of engineering packed into one little space

Lanos SX 1.6lt DOHC 5spd 09/1997 220kms - No Mods