Is damage possible?

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

TheRiseIsTheFall

Is damage possible?

Post by TheRiseIsTheFall »

well, I had a locaL mechanic put the last bit of my leganza together since I was rather busy at the time, and the dumb shit forgot to hook up numerous wire harnesses(got most of them re-connected) but The main thing is HE DID NOT HOOK UP OR PUT IN the Cam Shaft sensor, It starts and runs(Not sure how?, I was under the impression you had to have it in to start it?) :evil: :evil: :shock:

I'm gonna take it to him tommorow to "FIX".. My question is, I've driven it approximatley 75-100 miles like that, could any damage have been caused by a lack of the sensor?
jorge
Expert

Post by jorge »

I think it no affect but if this pass with the crankshaft sensor the car never start...
Con mas mec.s que un taller jajajajaja Mec. Diaz, Mec. Cheo Racing, Mec. eljunito, y ed flash tunning simplemente los mejores!
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

Camshaft positiion sensor doesnt determine where the cam sits, it gets pulses from the cam when it turns. So no damage would be caused that way, you wont have bent any valves or anything.

But as jorge said, most likely it just wouldnt have started.
SAZ
---------------------
jak4calibrah

Post by jak4calibrah »

i think cam sensor helps the computer in some way for ingnition timing but the cas is the most important, in my car (not daewoo) the cam sensor is used to time injector opening(sequential fuel injection SFI) and this is its primary job.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

cam sensor is not for ignition.... it's for the sequential fuel injection

The camshaft sensor is the main sensor used for both ignition and fuel injector timing.

Given the ignition is wasted spark it fires 1&4 and 2&3 together at each compression event (doesn't care which cylinder has compressed air/fuel... it fires both cylinders )

On the other hand for sequential fuel injection the ECU must determine which cylinder ( either 1 or 4 ) or ( either 2 or 3 ) is in it's intake stroke.

It does this via the camshaft sensor.

When you first start up without the camshaft sensor installed you have a 50/50 chance of getting it right.... the engine will try and run even if the camshaft sensor is non-functional.

You might start it once and it will work just fine.... then the next time you try you might get the injectors one rotation out of sequence and the car will barely run or run like crap.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos