Need New Fuel Pump. Suggestions?

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

BosnianLanos
Expert

Need New Fuel Pump. Suggestions?

Post by BosnianLanos »

As some of you may know, I recently converted my OEM fuel system to a full (Tank-Inlet-Rail-FPR-Outlet-Tank) -6 AN SS Braid system. I wanted to have full control over the fuel supply at all times via FPR, but due to the design of the OEM FPR, I figured I just might take an extra step and do the whole thing. I managed to get a good deal on everything, too, my $160 Aeromotive FPR was more than twice as much what I paid for all of my lines and fittings.

So far, so good. There are no leaks in the system, everything is fully functioning, and it may just be placebo, but the car seems to have more power.

The only weak spot is my OEM fuel pump. It may have been damaged when my cheap-o FPR failed and spiked fuel pressure to over 70 PSI for a few minutes, or it just might be the fact that it cannot support the new capacity of the lines. My main indicators is that after a prolonged drive, the fuel pump WHINES...at times loudly...so that it's noticeable with the back seats installed...with someone sitting on them. Furthermore, starting up the car after a prolonged period sitting requires me to prime the system two to three times (Go from "ACC" to "ON" to let the pump cycle) At first I thought it was a leak bleeding the pressure, but after checking, and rechecking, and rechecking...I don't think it is. Maybe it's a faulty FPR, but again, I'm skeptical, because it is a top-of-the-line Aeromotive model. My guess is that the OEM cycle time for the pump, as well as the flow rate are not enough to fully pressurize the fuel system. The new diameter is great for fuel flow, but it's way bigger than stock, so now I must have like 2X the OEM line capacity. When everything is pressurized, the pump works, but I think it is straining, and several times at WOT in top gear and high speed, I will get the jerking motion of fuel cut...It's scary. I might try to raise the pressure on the FPR, but that will be a temporary fix...ideally I'd like to get a new aftermarket fuel pump...one that can sustain the new system.

I was thinking something from Aeromotive again. I'd like something that is only marginally more powerful than stock...as my end goal is 150 HP N/A with a little more under Nitrous. Preferably some sort of drop in replacement or even an in-line model...whatever will work. I'd also like to keep my OEM fuel gauge working...but if there is nothing to do with it...I'll just rip out the fuel gauge and go back to the Tach setup I had.

Thanks guys.
jak4calibrah

Post by jak4calibrah »

i can't give you an exact type of fuel pump i can say go for bosch.. their tha best