Guide needed for Aveo engine swap

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

mosaic

Guide needed for Aveo engine swap

Post by mosaic »

Call me lazy but i found some threads abt swapping engine. But for my case, i am going NA & not turbocharging. & most of the threads are going turbo charging..

Can anyone gif me some guide to what engine can go into the aveo? Greatly appreciate. I not too sure exact engine...maybe 2.0l or 2.2l from leganza, or Nubira?

Wat tranny can i upgrade to? Is it call F20 or D20? I'm kinda confused here.

I have done up the basic for my ride, strut bars, lower front & middle strut bars, adjustable coilovers, upgraded rear drum to 1pot disc, upgraded front disc to 2pot disc(bigger rotor). So now all i need is to know wat engine can go into the aveo without much hassle & i can start to look for the engine.

1) Wat engine to go into aveo?
2) Which car is the engine from?
3) Tranny upgrade to hold the torque & better gear ratio?
4) Any important thing to take note? example..mounting..ac pump..ps..

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you guys in advance!
Last edited by mosaic on Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mosaic

Post by mosaic »

oh by the way, i like DOHC engine rather than SOHC.

Cheers!
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

I'll be glad to help but first I'd like to know where you are located? what you are wanting to spend? are you wanting to keep the motor stock or are you wanting to modify the motor before it goes in? and what kind of horse power are you looking for?

Garrett
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

I quick note about the tranny... with an NA build the D20 transmission is plenty strong.

from what I've see and experianced it's not so much the amount of torque that damages the D20 transmission it's how the torque comes in. with a turbo application the power and torque go from nil to full on in a flash and that is what causes the issues. with an NA build you will not have that issue.

Garrett
mosaic

Post by mosaic »

Thanks for ur quick reply..

i am from asia side haha.. i know its very far.. Actually my frens & i have plan to put in the engine first.. drive for a while then we upgrade the internal organs.. reason being simple - Stage by stage to keep things exciting. Kinda lame but we plan to go step by step while planning the best for that engine to be dropped. Not going turbo charging tats for sure.

So for horsepower, like i said, stage by stage & see how much we can unleash but not too powerful till it spins wheel every gear.. So have to get ur help to know which engine is suitable & from there, we can start sourcing for it. Everything's ready for the ride except the engine.
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

:? hhmmm... I think for a NA build you may be just as well off with the 1.6 16v that is in there and build that up. You do have a DOHC currently correct?

with a header and high compression pistons you could see about the same power numbers as the 2.0 and 2.2. The question then is what are your plans for engine managment? in your possition I would save the money from buying a new motor and spend that on a "stand alone" managment system. from that alone you would likely see the same power numbers as a 2.0.

where abouts in Asia? I ask because with the exchange rate I can't see it being worth the expense for you to buy parts from the States. if you are in Singapore that might be another story.

Garrett
mosaic

Post by mosaic »

wat do u mean by in singapore? wat kinda of parts are there?

My plan is to get a 2.0 or 2.2 & from there i can have more power from those engine rather than the stock engine.. i mean compare 1.6 to 2.0 or 2.2 stock & u know that upgrading these engines, at the end of the day, 2.0 or 2.2 can churn out more power rite? Correct me if i'm wrong..

For 2.0 or 2.2, the plan will be to upgrade to high compression piston etc.. I might not get the parts or engine from states, i will source for them at our side.. tats why need ur guide to the engine that can go in :)
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

I was just refering to Singapore becuse the exchange rate there is the closest to the USD of any other Asian country so that would make parts from the US more affordable.

you are right that the higher displacement you start with the more power you will get in the end but you might be talking a difference of 10 or 15HP when it's done.

I would choose the motor based on what is the most popular and what will be the easiest to get parts for.

one of the reasons that I suggest to keep the 1.6 is because there are avantages to that motor like VGIS inlet manifold and larger exhaust ports than the 2.0 and 2.2.

it's quite possible that the proper stand alone that you could see close to the same amount of power as the stock 2.0. just some food for thought.

the 2.2 would be a good build for an NA build, the only major difference between the 2.0 and 2.2 is the connecting rod are longer and the block is taller in the 2.2, otherwise you can use all the parts from the more popular 2.0.

if you are anywhere close to Korea look into Intimidator for parts to all three motors 9if you didn't know already). that is where you can get cams, pistons, rods... everything.
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

are the 2.2's pretty common where you are? if you can get one cheap and you are wanting to get away from the 1.6 that is the motor to go with.

you will be able to use the front motor from the Leganza and the transmission and other mounts from the Aveo. I'm almost willing to say that the engine harness and ECU are compatible as well.

Garrett
mosaic

Post by mosaic »

which ride is the 2.0 or 2.2l from tat u are referring to? we only have 1.4DOHC & 1.5SOHC in asia if u know.. tats why it might be easier to get a 2.0 or 2.2 into the ride instead of 1.6 which is harder to get to our part of the world.

wat good is the vgis intake manifold & bigger exhaust ports? i mean compared to the 2.2.
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

the 2.0 usually comes in the reno aka lacetti forenza aka lacetti sedan, nubira too but it probably came with the 1.6l in asia. the 2.2l only came in the leganza

so where in asia you from?

nick

save a tree, eat a beaver.
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

lanos2001 wrote:the 2.0 usually comes in the reno aka lacetti forenza aka lacetti sedan, nubira too but it probably came with the 1.6l in asia. the 2.2l only came in the leganza

so where in asia you from?

nick
gse_turbo wrote:wow!... those are the exact kind of pics that I was after. so are all the Isuzu trannys the same as this?

I'm sure there will be more questions on specs but these are the most pressing.

here is a list of the makes and models that I work on. they are all related to one of the two motors (1.6 or 2.0) originated by Opel in Germany. they all use the same bell housing flange.

•87-93 Pontiac Lemans 2.0 SOHC
•87-94 Pontiac Sunbird 2.0 SOHC (turbo and non-turbo)
•87-9? Chevy Cavalier 2.0 SOHC
•0?-08 Chevy Lacetti 2.0 DOHC
•0?-0? Chevy Optra (5) 2.0 DOHC
•08 Saturn Astra 1.8VVT DOHC
•80-CURRENT Vauxhall Astra 1.6,1.8 and 2.0 SOHC and DOHC (turbo and non-turbo)
•80-CURRENT Opel Kadett/Astra 1.6,1.8 and 2.0 SOHC and DOHC (turbo and non-turbo)
•98-03 Daewoo Lanos 1.6 DOHC
•98-03 Daewoo Leganza 2.2 DOHC
•98-03 Daewoo Nubira 2.0 DOHC
•04-08 Suzuki Forenza 2.0 DOHC
•04-08 Suzuki Reno 2.0 DOHC
•98 Isuzu Rodeo & Amigo 2.2 DOHC
•9?-0? Vauxhall Frontera 2.2 DOHC

There are dozens more but you get the idea what will bolt to your transmission.

if something in particular interests you ask about it and we can fill you in.

Garrett

...still the question remains... where abouts in Asia? knowing that can help us to list compatable chassis that are available in your area as well as list contacts and companies where you are that can help you find the parts where you are.
mosaic

Post by mosaic »

malaysia is where we're from! where is the D20 transmission from?
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

in that case you might be in luck! in you place I would look for an Austrailin based forum for the Holden. or I would look for someone here that is from Oz for help. there motor and tranny is relatively popular there because Holden is the GM devision that developed the current 2.0 and 2.2 that is used in the cars I listed above.

getting parts from Oz actually puts you in a pretty good spot too because the exchange rate not bad and postage will be far less than the US, UK or Europe.

if there is no help that way then let us know and and we can try to help from here.

...oh ya, I'm not 100% sure but I think the D20 only came in the Daewoo Leganza and Nubira, the Lanos and Aveo use the D16 and all other European models use the F16,F17,F20...

Garrett
mosaic

Post by mosaic »

i'm already on a look out for leganza 2.2.. one thing i wana know is also the engine is kinda out of production rite? Will it be difficult to get spare parts in future like valve springs etc? Although i know there are performance parts from intimidator (& they are actually not reali far)

i tried but couldnt find a proper australia based forum for holden..

Would u say leganza 2.2 & D20 tranny is good setup? Or do u have better recommendations?