Standalone engine management, what kind are you using??

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Big P

Standalone engine management, what kind are you using??

Post by Big P »

Hey guys, I am just curious to see what some of you guys were running for aftermarket stand alone engine management control. I was looking at the megasquirt and it seems ok but have an issue. I am retaining the automatic transmission, and will need a way of controlling the lockup of the torque converter. I have heard that megasquirt is a cheaper unit cause you have to assemble it yourself. Now, I have a factory turbo sunbird ecm(with the prom from an auto car) as well as the wiring harness. I don't have all of the engine parts for the turbo however, like the boost controller(i think the piece that goes by the fuel rail and has vacuum lines coming ut of it). I assume that it *should* work, as long as the computer gets all of its ouptus/inputs wired in correctly. Only problem is that the sunbird turbo is designed to see a dizzy and the woo motor is set up for dis with no provisions for a distributor. Just not sure what I should do. Any thoughts??
mr_g
Expert

Post by mr_g »

I have bought VEMS. Not yet installed..
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

I used Megasquirt II V3 (HEI setup - for C20GET) - doable and working, but this is more advanced approach. Don't know if MS can control the auto gearbox.

You could use PROM from 93+ sunbird 2.0, the variant that uses DIS and reluctor wheel (which you do have on the 2.2 motor). Question is, are the two reluctor wheels the same? Then, you would need a piggy-back (such as e-manage or similar) for the under-boost fuelling, or simply use MS-II to control fuel only.

Post by Pir0 »

Don't mean to veer off topic, but what exaclt does a stand alone replace? And how? Does it do away with the old ecu? For example, im planning on turboing my car way in the future and once i get a bit more knowledgable with turbo setups, but this is one part which has been ALWAYS hazzy for me.

Sorry if this too off topic but if anyone can explain in one post quickly and get it over and done with :P
SAZ
---------------------
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

Stand alone engine management completely replaces factory harness (may, or may not to - some choose to use existing OE wiring) and factory ECU. New ecu is completely configurable using a laptop, and tuned using (ideally), a rolling road (known as a dyno on this side of the pond ;)

There are some champs using megasquirt on some really fast Astra mk2s running 2.0 8V turbo, and getting into 12s at Santa Pod. http://www.vauxhall-8vturbo.co.uk/

Post by Pir0 »

Site seems to be down :(. I've heard of megasquirt before. But i've never really been told much about it or looked much into it as the turbo will be a long while away yet.

Cheers for the info :smt023
SAZ
---------------------