Engine diagnostics / improvements

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

yoshida

Engine diagnostics / improvements

Post by yoshida »

Hi all.
I'm planning to do some maintenance on my stock engine (Lanos '98 5 door hatchback 1.5l). A few things I want to take into consideration is checking/replacing spark plugs and air filter. Are there any more components I should take a look at? What can I read from the state of said components? What do I have to keep in mind when doing this? How can I tell whether my oil needs replacement? Improved performance, engine lifetime and MPG is key here.

My car just had some big (and expensive) servicing two months ago, but I doubt that would go beyond swapping out the oil filter and likes.

By the way, does anyone know where I can get new light housings for the Lanos? Think 'lexus-look' rear lights, white blinker caps and high-intensity headlights. If there's any website out there selling Lanos aftermarket parts I'd like to know about it.

Anyway, my first batch of inqueries is most important at the moment, since the car is almost due for it's annual checkup.
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

plugs, wires, fuel filter, air filter, and oil are always a good thing to check/replace. how many miles since the timeing belt was las changed? if your not sure, id do the timeing belt, tensioner, idler and water pump too. if your car is a hatch back, for the clear tail lights you will need a set of the newer style 2001+ tail lights to make a set. if you have a sedan yout only option is getting a set from the ukrain (its prolly gonna be about $350, usd after shipping) as for head lights you can get a set from the same ukrainian company (Pitstop) but its gonna be expencive too, or you can make a custom set like others on here have done. mr g did a set not too long ago that didnt turn out to bad.

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
yoshida

Post by yoshida »

Timing belt was replaced less than a year ago, when I bought the car. The engine only ran 71.000 km but I insisted.

Oil filter was swapped out during winter maintenance I presume. I usually have my work done by a retired NATO mechanic (but winter inspection was done by my dealer) so when he's doing the pre-MIT check I'll ask him to keep an eye on anything that needs replacement.

What's worth swapping out for sport specs when performance and fuel efficiency are considered? I think these two terms enhance each other rather than compromise, but I'd like to have an informed view on that. It's already running 11km to the liter with a worn out cat.