Coolant leak or not? [Solved]

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Daniel
Expert

Coolant leak or not? [Solved]

Post by Daniel »

On my Nubira 1.6 DOHC 100000km I've to refill the coolant surge tank two/three times a year as level reach bottom mark. No visible leak, coolant fluid is clear w/o bubbles, visible side of water pump is dry. Driving is fine.
Does coolant evaporates at this speed or have I missed something?

Thks,

Daniel
Last edited by Daniel on Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
mezomaster
Expert

Post by mezomaster »

Daniel, of course if u have to refill the coolant level twice ot three times every year then u will never notice where the coolant evaporates from, and for me, i see its very normal to lose some coolant every couple of monthes specially because your car has 100000km on it, so of course there is some wear happened here and there but its still not noticable...

i would suggest u to do a coolant leaking test and just raise the pressure a little more than normal so may u can find the leaking area, although i think its just evaporations from heat and pressure and there is no serious leaks, try to change the coolant cap if its not in a great condition and see.
>2004 Nubira, 1.6L (Manual Transmission)
>Custom made cold air intake
>Custom made headers & 2" pipe with mid Walker filter and rear Jasma-5Ziegen muffler
>Custom made intake manifold with 2.0L TB and larger injectors (soon to be done)
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

Do you find your windows fog up easily when its colder outside?? It could also be hair-like leak in the heater core and the water is simply evaporating out.

Post by Daniel »

Thanks for advices, bros.
I'll make a pressure test of cooling system w/o surge cap. Should 15 PSI be OK as this is the relief pressure for the cap?

Daniel
jidasas
Expert

Post by jidasas »

just thought of something else...my 1.6 lanos had a slow leak (I only noticed it loosing about a half an inch out of the reservoir) on the underside of the thermostat housing. I found it today. $35 dollars and fifteen minutes later I'm as good as new.

Jimmy
Daniel
Expert

problem solved

Post by Daniel »

Dicovered when I did T-belt job:

The old water pump AND Oring were reused when the dealer did the first T-belt job at 60000km. They just poured some blue RTV on the flange. Hence the leak. :evil: .
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

OOoh, dodgy. You're lucky the water pump didnt go pop and skip a few teeth on the timing. Glad you got it sorted.
SAZ
---------------------
Big Jeff
Expert

Re: problem solved

Post by Big Jeff »

Daniel wrote:Dicovered when I did T-belt job:

The old water pump AND Oring were reused when the dealer did the first T-belt job at 60000km. They just poured some blue RTV on the flange. Hence the leak. :evil: .
i think thats the problem i have
Daewoo Lanos SX,
1.6 16v DOHC,

Isaac

Post by Isaac »

yeah just found out that I too, have a water pump leak. and I have to travel tomorrow.