Daewoo Leganza replacing head?

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

JT353

Daewoo Leganza replacing head?

Post by JT353 »

So I've been searching for a while and have been unable to find an answer to my questions. I have a 1999 Daewoo Leganza Sx from which the timing belt broke. I have ordered a new head but need some help on some other parts. I went to my dealer and for the parts timing belt water pump pulleys and gasket set the total would of been over a $1000 dollars. So I had a couple of questions I found the parts on ebay but they are not OEM. I was wondering if this matters that much or if I should try to order them through an Isuzu dealer using OEM Rodeo parts (X22SE).

Here are the links for the parts on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ISUZU-RO ... enameZWDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-02-DA ... enameZWDVW

Also does anyone know if the Leganza Head Bolts are TTY?

Thanks for the help!
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

I guess these parts are as good as any aftermarket parts. Both Isuzu and Daewoo are simply using same Opel GM motor... This particular Isuzu was sold in Europe as Opel Frontera, so parts between the two are interchangeable.
Headbolts are torque-to-yield style.

Re: Daewoo Leganza replacing head?

Post by Spider »

JT353 wrote:So I've been searching for a while and have been unable to find an answer to my questions. I have a 1999 Daewoo Leganza Sx from which the timing belt broke. I have ordered a new head but need some help on some other parts. I went to my dealer and for the parts timing belt water pump pulleys and gasket set the total would of been over a $1000 dollars. So I had a couple of questions I found the parts on ebay but they are not OEM. I was wondering if this matters that much or if I should try to order them through an Isuzu dealer using OEM Rodeo parts (X22SE).

Here are the links for the parts on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ISUZU-RO ... enameZWDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-02-DA ... enameZWDVW

Also does anyone know if the Leganza Head Bolts are TTY?

Thanks for the help!
Jeez, even http://www.daewoous.com/Default.aspx can beat your local dealer's ripoff price.
From the site (all OEM)

96213105 ALLOY WHEEL LEGANZA ALL $49.99 Was $232.50, Save 79%
92065902 BELT-TIMING LEGANZA ALL $59.99 Discounted 26%, until October 31, 2007
24409355 PUMP A-WATER LEGANZA ALL $109.99 Discounted 30%, until October 31, 2007
90322506 RING-SEAL LEGANZA ALL $6.99 Discounted 9%, until October 31, 2007
09128738 ROLLER A-GUIDE LEGANZA ALL $49.99 Discounted 26%, until September 30, 2007
90528603 TENSIONER-TIMING BELT LEGANZA ALL $115.99 Discounted 28%, until October 31, 2007

[I didn't check the gasket kit]

I know the Lanos is and "think" the Leganza head bolts are TTY (torque to yield) "stretch/one time only bolts".
But can't verify this.
Hopefully a Laganza knowledgeable forum member provide this 411 ?

P.S. Welcome JT353 !

:)
~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

"The three great essentials to achieving anything worthwhile are; first, hard work, second, stick-to-it-iveness, and third, common sense."
- -- Thomas Edison
JT353

Head

Post by JT353 »

So I did a little bit more research to get that stuff from a Isuzu dealer would be around 600 dollars. Still too much I found a place where I can get a GATES timing belt for 30 bucks, Then I figured I could swap it out with the ebay kit. I'm still not sure about the head gasket kit, I think I could do that and then buy the OEM head bolts form the dealer. What do you guys think? Has anyone used the aftermarket parts or both so that I can get an idea about the quality of OEM vs. aftermarket?

Thanks for the replys!
-JT
Man with no name
Junior

Post by Man with no name »

I dont know about the kit for a leganza, but I recently purchased a complete timing belt kit for my sister's 97 civic through ebay as well. Everything fit perfectly, and when I asked my mechanic (the one who installed it) about it he told me that it was ok...OEM might be better quality in the long run, but not enough to justify the ridiculous price you are getting charged by your dealer.

Also, the link you provided in your first post shows that the seller has 100% positive with 10535 feedback. Thats as good as you will get in ebay.

Just something to consider.
240sx
JT353

Post by JT353 »

Well I talked to my mechanic he seemed to think it was ok, so i went ahead and ordered everything, the parts look fine we shall see i guess. Thanks for the help.