first post! low power high fuel.

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Spider
Expert

Post by Spider »

Fasterstill wrote:

" Also just changed the fuel filter and the fuel that ran out of BOTH ends of the filter was filthy."

Filthy=dirty? As in "DIRT" ?

May have some in your tank ?
Also ? I bet your injectors are filthy/dirty as well.
Did you run injector cleaner yet ?

:)
~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

"The three great essentials to achieving anything worthwhile are; first, hard work, second, stick-to-it-iveness, and third, common sense."
- -- Thomas Edison
fasterstill

Post by fasterstill »

Spider wrote:Fasterstill wrote:

" Also just changed the fuel filter and the fuel that ran out of BOTH ends of the filter was filthy."

Filthy=dirty? As in "DIRT" ?

May have some in your tank ?
Also ? I bet your injectors are filthy/dirty as well.
Did you run injector cleaner yet ?

Yep Dirty as in it looked like strong coffee with a tiny bit of milk in. E.G you could not see through it at all.
Yep im running the third tank with injector cleaner now.

Tryed cleaning the air flow sensor with electrical contact cleaner this afternoon but its usless, hardly touches the muck, will find some carb cleaner and try that next.

AFTER THOUGHT: What does the injector cleaner do to the colour and opticity of the petrol?
Could it be the injector cleaner that made the petrol look so dirty when i changed the fuel filter?
Spider
Expert

Post by Spider »

Your on your third cleaning, have you done anymore fuel filter replacements or looked at the fuel in the current one?

Any injector cleaner I have ever used is clear. And did not change the color of the fuel. A brand called "Berrymans" (sp?)
Another popular product is called "Sea Foam" I believe it is also clear.

I't seems to me that somehow you have stuff in your fuel tank that shouldn't be there.. Like water, rust, dirt/mud ?
Maybe even some coffee and milk ? Tea time?
:roll:

Whatever it is needs to be eliminated. Whatever it is has probably clogged your injectors. And whatever it is, is probably the source of your
'not starting when hot' problem.

Not sure about your model Daewoo but most of them have a filter built into the fuel pump.

~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

"The three great essentials to achieving anything worthwhile are; first, hard work, second, stick-to-it-iveness, and third, common sense."
- -- Thomas Edison
fasterstill

Post by fasterstill »

Spider wrote:Your on your third cleaning, have you done anymore fuel filter replacements or looked at the fuel in the current one?

Any injector cleaner I have ever used is clear. And did not change the color of the fuel. A brand called "Berrymans" (sp?)

I't seems to me that somehow you have stuff in your fuel tank that shouldn't be there.. Like water, rust, dirt/mud ?

Whatever it is needs to be eliminated. Whatever it is has probably clogged your injectors. And whatever it is, is probably the source of your

Not sure about your model Daewoo but most of them have a filter built into the fuel pump.

Ran two tanks of cleaner then changed fuel filter and now running third tank. Have collected some of the dirty fuel and let it settle, its very small particals of dirt although when watching the fuel evaporate it did look like the particals were being drawn to each other. Looked weird watching all the particals dancing about, thought it was full of something alive on first glance.
Model is 1999 Nubira 1.6, 16V wagon or estate, depends which side of the pond your on :)
Not sure where you got the not starting when Hot from must be another thread m8 mines fine on hot starts, just gutless at low revs.
Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

Shot in the dark...

You have a 1.6L... which means your engine is equipped with VGIS (variable intake geometry)...

Typically the VGIS opens at higher RPMS. Perhaps by some really strange fluke your control canister got blocked or the actuator is stuck and the manifold is stuck in high RPM mode. I can't imagine the effects would make the car useless, but it stands to reason that you'd loose low end power.

On the side of your intake manifold is an actuator...
Looks similar to this...

Push/pull the shaft that comes out of it (it's a fairly light spring) and see if it's sticking...

Again, total shot in the dark :?
fasterstill

Post by fasterstill »

Audacity Racing wrote:Shot in the dark...

You have a 1.6L... which means your engine is equipped with VGIS (variable intake geometry)...

Typically the VGIS opens at higher RPMS. Perhaps by some really strange fluke your control canister got blocked or the actuator is stuck and the manifold is stuck in high RPM mode. I can't imagine the effects would make the car useless, but it stands to reason that you'd loose low end power.

On the side of your intake manifold is an actuator...
Looks similar to this...

Push/pull the shaft that comes out of it (it's a fairly light spring) and see if it's sticking...

Again, total shot in the dark :?

Yep already checked that but thanks anyway.
Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

My appologies, I scanned and didn't read the entire thread :oops:
Spider
Expert

Post by Spider »

fasterstill wrote:
Spider wrote:Your on your third cleaning, have you done anymore fuel filter replacements or looked at the fuel in the current one?

Ran two tanks of cleaner then changed fuel filter and now running third tank. Have collected some of the dirty fuel and let it settle, its very small particals of dirt although when watching the fuel evaporate it did look like the particals were being drawn to each other. Looked weird watching all the particals dancing about, thought it was full of something alive on first glance.
Model is 1999 Nubira 1.6, 16V wagon or estate, depends which side of the pond your on :)
Not sure where you got the not starting when Hot from must be another thread m8 mines fine on hot starts, just gutless at low revs.
EDIT by spider;
( My bad, was thinking of another thread.. change that; 'not starting when hot' to: "gutless at low revs")

I stand by the post though.. you have crud ("particals") in your fuel that is not helping anything..
fuel pump (strainer could be plugged) and injector injection spray is in question.
~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

- -- Thomas Edison
fasterstill

Post by fasterstill »

OK this is getting silly, time for a re-cap:

Problem:
Lack of power at the low end, everything fine after 4000 rpm.

Possible causes:

lack of servicing, e.g, plugs, fuel filter, air filter.
Leaking exhaust, small blow in the front down pipe where the spring is.
VIGS, sticking or inoperative.

Things done:

Full service, plugs, leads, fuel filter (outlet fuel flow now clean) and performance air filter fitted into front offside wing.
Checked VIGS, working fine.
MASS air sensor, cleaned, first with electrical contact cleaner then with carb cleaner.
Replaced front down exhaust pipe.

Present situation:

Low end pickup seems to have improved but at 4000 where i used to get a big boost of power i now just get lots of noise from the intake filter but not as much boost as previously. (need to reduce the intake noise, im in my 40's so the boy racer looks not a good look on me) not only that but if im pushing on so to speak i don't want to attract any more attention than nessersary.

If anyone has any ideas why i've lost the top end boost please post.
Must say though its much nicer to drive now, i don't need to slip the clutch up to about 2000 when pulling away any more. I supose its saving me petrol as im trying to keep the revs below the point that the intake starts roaring :)
Am having lowered 40mm springs fitted Sunday so that will be fun, can't wait to throw it into a few corners on the way back.

Should i start this as a new post as its not realy relevent to the title any more ?
mezomaster
Expert

Post by mezomaster »

check your O2 sensor, it may isnt getting your CEL on, but it may be not functioning well, but not damaged totally to CEL, also check the fuel regulator...

i cant think about anymore things right now :?
>2004 Nubira, 1.6L (Manual Transmission)
>Custom made cold air intake
>Custom made headers & 2" pipe with mid Walker filter and rear Jasma-5Ziegen muffler
>Custom made intake manifold with 2.0L TB and larger injectors (soon to be done)
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

ok so you have a 1999 nubi wagon, 1.6 16 valve. you have new plugs, wires, fuel filter, air filter, but you do have a exhaust leak. you have bad performance at low rpm's, at about 4000 rpm's it gets better, due to the vgis kicking in. you are also experianceing poor fuel economy. you stated in your first post that you "certainly don't drive it gently", this could be one of the causes for the low fuel mileage, and also the fact that you have a heavy car powered by a small engine. i say try driveing it easy, keep it under 3000 rpm's if possable, and on the freeway stay below 70 mph, see if you experiance any increase in mileage. on the performance side of things, with this being such a big heavy car, its gonna be tough to get "great" performace out of a 106 hp, 1.6 liter engine. good luck, let us know what happens.

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
fasterstill

Post by fasterstill »

mezomaster wrote:check your O2 sensor, it may isnt getting your CEL on, but it may be not functioning well, but not damaged totally to CEL, also check the fuel regulator...

i cant think about anymore things right now :?
Thanks for that, any tips on how to check the fuel regulator please.
daewoomofo wrote:
ok so you have a 1999 nubi wagon, 1.6 16 valve. you have new plugs, wires, fuel filter, air filter, but you do have a exhaust leak. you have bad performance at low rpm's, at about 4000 rpm's it gets better, due to the vgis kicking in. you are also experianceing poor fuel economy. you stated in your first post that you "certainly don't drive it gently", this could be one of the causes for the low fuel mileage, and also the fact that you have a heavy car powered by a small engine. i say try driveing it easy, keep it under 3000 rpm's if possable, and on the freeway stay below 70 mph, see if you experiance any increase in mileage. on the performance side of things, with this being such a big heavy car, its gonna be tough to get "great" performace out of a 106 hp, 1.6 liter engine. good luck, let us know what happens.
Nope :) the exhaust leak is now fixed. When i state that im getting lower performance im refering to what i have had previously from this engine so its not due to the weight of the car.
Re the high fuel usage, i recently did a long motorway trip, 400 miles and stayed at about 70 or so but still could not get to 30 mpg.
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

ok, well im out of ideas then. i wasnt aware of you experianceing a loss of power, thats kinda odd. have you checked the injectors? i guess thats the last thing i can think of, good luck, keep us posed.

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
mezomaster
Expert

Post by mezomaster »

there is a tool to test the pressure in the fuel rail and regulator, u get it fixed after the regulator on the back line fuel to the tank and see what is the pressure reading, its a tool which looks like a clock, u will find it at a mechanic..

i dont know how much would the test cost you, but i know the regulator isnt expensive so u can compare before u pay anything, maybe u can just buy another regulator and replace it if the mechanic would cost u much...

i had the same problem before and it was the O2 sensor by the way, it was damaged but the CEL didnt come on yet, and it got on just right before i replace the sensor ;)
>2004 Nubira, 1.6L (Manual Transmission)
>Custom made cold air intake
>Custom made headers & 2" pipe with mid Walker filter and rear Jasma-5Ziegen muffler
>Custom made intake manifold with 2.0L TB and larger injectors (soon to be done)
fasterstill

Post by fasterstill »

mezomaster wrote:
i had the same problem before and it was the O2 sensor by the way, it was damaged but the CEL didnt come on yet, and it got on just right before i replace the sensor ;)
Thanks for that, thinking back it may have been when i first cleaned the airflow sensor when i lost the 4000 boost. There must be a way to test with a multimeter, anyone know?
re the fuel regulator, i'll look into the cost of a new one and i'll ask the mechanic thats fitting my springs tomorrow, he may have the test gear, you never know.

cheers guys.