2.0l swap question for lanos

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

rotinaj13

2.0l swap question for lanos

Post by rotinaj13 »

Hello,
I am a new member to this forum, I own a 2001 lanos sedan 5spd. Unfortunately I found out about the timing belt issues with these cars the hard way and have 4 bent exh valves in cyl 1 & 4. :-( I was looking into repairing it but the cost of parts and labor I figured I should just do an engine swap to gain more power and have a little more fun with all the honduh's in the area. I tried to search my area for an engine out of a lemans and a Sunbird but can not find one any were in a 50 mile radius. I figure this has probably been asked b4 but I have searched and searched and could not find the answer. I did some research through wiki about gm engine codes and families, but still can not find what I need to know. I was wondering if the N/A 2.0l that is in the Sunbird is the same as an 80's cavalier with the 2.0? I know through research that the Sunbird gt engine will drop in and bolt up with a little attention to the engine mount. Is the N/A pretty much the same engine but without the turbo? How different are the internals I am sure the turbo engine has better internals but from what I found it seems the N/A 2.0 is a strong lil engine as well. So will the N/A 2.0l out of an older cavalier work? I know I can not find any Suzuki/daewoo or even Pontiac sunbirds in this area. It is not a good sign when people ask who makes daewoo when you try to get parts or find one in a yard here.... I just need some ideas to try to find an engine localy that will work. I miss my poor lanos... **sniffle** is was one of the best riding/handling cars that I have owned for so cheap of a price tag!! Thanks for your time and patience with a question that has been asked so many times!!!
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

first, where are you located?

the short answer is yes the early cav/sunbird N/A motors are the same basic motor as the lemans GSE and the internals, minus the pistons, are the same in the turbo and non-turbo.

the later sunbird motors are the same family of motor but after 1990 they got treated to port fuel injection and DIS which is the best 2.0 SOHC option.

that being said, don't waiste your time on the SOHC when you can likely find a Nubira 2.0 DOHC or a Leganza 2.2 DOHC with close to the same price tag installed as the N/A SOHC.

if you still can't find anything, i have a complete Sunbird GT motor with mounts for sale. it was completely machined and is ready for some pretty good hp numbers with room for improvement. http://www.daewootech.com/forum/viewtop ... sc&start=0

garrett
rotinaj13

Post by rotinaj13 »

sorry about that I am located in ohio. I would love the dohc 2.0 or 2.2 but every wrecking yard I have called and checked with pretty much does everything short of laughing at me for asking. I would take the engine off your hands in a heart beat but at the moment I am in a lack of money. one car being impounded after someone cut my tran cooling line for me... and my 88mph in a 65 ticket doesn't help :roll: LOL but the main reason I am asking is because a friend is scrapping out an 86 cavi with the 2.0 and he will let me have the engine. As for engine mounts I can fabricate a mount and was going to use a megasquirt ecm... or maybe just my holley/weber carb and as little controls as possible. I just wanted to make sure this engine will mount to my tran. Just out of curiosity later on is it possible to use the 2.0 block and use a dohc head on it? Will the bolt pattern for the head bolts line up along with the oil/cooling passages? Please forgive all the questions but I need to get her back on the road. Thanks for your time and knowledge!!!
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

where at in ohio are you?

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

as long as you plan to upgrade the fuel system then the an 86 would be an OK 'starter' motor, otherwise i wouldn't recommend using anything older then 89.

yes the head will bolt up but you'll need to be careful of the head gasket you use at that point. you would just have to swap for pistons that are cut for four valves for clearance.

garrett
rotinaj13

Post by rotinaj13 »

Daewoomofo: pm sent with my location.

GSE: Thank you so much for your help!!! Yes I am going to upgrade the fuel system. I think for now I am going with my holly/weber carb I used it on a 2.0 volvo and a 1.8 vw rabbit and it came from a 1.7 porsche so it should be enough to run this 2.0 Maybe later on down the road I will upgrade the head and put FI on it. I have a turbo sitting around here that I need to check over I might attempt a 2.0 turbo build later on down the road when my luck and finances improve. Once again I thank you so much for your help!!!! I will go talk to my friend about the cavi today and see if I can get it to the garage. Can I use the clutch from my 1.6 or would I need the clutch from the 2.0? Thanks once again!!!
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

you should be able to use the the flywheel, clutch, preasure plate... from the 1.6.

hope everything goes well, keep us posted.

garrett