Car Dead! (Ticking noise) please help!

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

LeganzaNewbie

Car Dead! (Ticking noise) please help!

Post by LeganzaNewbie »

Hey guys, sorry if this isn't the right place or if this or if it has been answered already but I had a search and I couldn't find any other threads that sounded like they had the same problem.

Basically last year before I left California I was driving a 1999 Daewoo Leganza, excellent car, smooth to drive and had decent power. The problem I had is one morning after a really cold night I started the car and it was making a really loud ticking noise (coming from under the hood but couldn't pinpoint where). This noise would go away when the car went over 2000 revs whether moving or stationary. About 3 days after this problem started I was driving along the road and the car just died on me. When I tried to start the car again the engine just turns over but will not start. As I am returning to California on Tuesday I'd like to get this fixed so I have a car again!!!!! Any ideas on what might be wrong would help a lot and also if anyone knows where I can get it fixed in the riverside county area of So. Cal it would be a ton of help!

Thanks guys!
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

it sounds like it could have been low/very old oil, and the result is a blown engine. check the oil level with the dipstick and report back what you find. also how many miles on the engine, how old is the timing belt?

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
LeganzaNewbie

Post by LeganzaNewbie »

Hey the oil was ok on it, that was the first thing I checked when the ticking started. I'm not sure about the timming belt as I said I aint looked at the car for a while now or any of the paper work but if I remember right I think it was around 40k. I know its a pain in the ass not having all of the info but I was just kinda wondering what problems you guys thought it might have been. Would the ticking stop over 2000 revs if it had been the timing belt? I'm not that up to scratch on my car engines etc. :?
Spider
Expert

Post by Spider »

Really hard to tell what the problem is without listening to the engine. The ticking could be a hydrolic lifter (one or more) thats not pumping up right away. If thats the problem? its not serious and doubtful if it would cause the "no start".
And ? The ticking may not even be related at all to the "turns over but no start" scenario.
If it turns over "normally" it's not a broken T. belt.

But, if it "spins over rapidly" ???? [And you will be able to tell this by the sound when you crank it over,
it will sound like your cranking your engine over with the head removed.]
If it does that ? Chances are the timing belt is busted/split, which equals serious engine damage.

Riverside is a big city. If me? I would research for a reputable shop that would analyze your engine for a reasonable price.
(Yes, there are shops that still will)
Than go from there.

Anyway ..
good luck.
~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

"The three great essentials to achieving anything worthwhile are; first, hard work, second, stick-to-it-iveness, and third, common sense."
- -- Thomas Edison
LeganzaNewbie

Post by LeganzaNewbie »

Thanks spider,

The engine still turns over normally, it just doesn't start at all, doesnt even sound like it wants to catch. When the engine died it just died, no loss of power before had or anything like that.

I'll look in to it and see if its maybe not related, it wasn't something I had really considered before but thinking about it the car only cut out after I hit a pretty big bump (live a mile up a dirt road) so its possible that when I hit the bump it did something and its got nothing to do with the ticking.

If I remember right the ticking was seeming to get worse over time, my step father suggested the bad oil scenario also, what other sytmptoms might I have if this were the case?

The problem I'm having is trying to find anywhere that will get parts for it, I actually live about 30 mins outside of riverside (Baeumont area) and half the garages around here haven't even heard of a Daewoo before :? I read something about being able to get parts through GM is ths still the case?
Spider
Expert

Post by Spider »

LeganzaNewbie,

I live almost 100 miles from a large city and have no problem getting stuff for my Lanos..I mostly shop eBay.

Lots of places to get parts...GM is one, eBay another. Do some searches in here too. Keep checking this thread, you will probably get some links thrown to ya from other forum members that own Legnza's. (along with advice on getting your car running again)

Contrary to popular belief? Daewoos are alive and well, just rebadged.

:)
~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

"The three great essentials to achieving anything worthwhile are; first, hard work, second, stick-to-it-iveness, and third, common sense."
- -- Thomas Edison
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

do you have spark? if not it might be a bad coil pack.

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
REY04

Post by REY04 »

check your belts bro like alternator belt and the belts around it. it sounds like belt breaking out.

it also sound like a timing belt broke out.

my few cents
Daewoo Racer Gti 1995 model, 1.5L SOHC, MPFI, Made in Korea(Bupyung plant).

"DRIVE WITH PRIDE"
LeganzaNewbie

Post by LeganzaNewbie »

Thanks for all of the input guys, I'm gonna check it all out when I get back on Tuesday, from everything you guys have been saying and what I have been reading it sounds to me like it might have been the timming belt. I also managed to find a garage the can get my parts for me so thats all cool. Thanks again for the help and I'll keep you posted on my progress
LeganzaNewbie

Post by LeganzaNewbie »

Just got a call from my buddy who is a mechanic who took a look at the car for me. Engine is seized. Apparently the last owners that had it just kept adding oil additives instead of going to get their oil changed. Guess I can only blame myself though shoulda been the first thing I done when I got the car! :x

Any suggestions guys? whats my best bet here? rebuild, engine swap, or sell the car for parts? Well I'm off to the classefieds section to see if I can get me a new woo for coming back to!
REY04

Post by REY04 »

its your call bro. i think the damage is only on the wornout camshaft and its support because of the excessive loads. better also if you change the whole engine if its cheaper on your part.

LeganzaNewbie wrote:Just got a call from my buddy who is a mechanic who took a look at the car for me. Engine is seized. Apparently the last owners that had it just kept adding oil additives instead of going to get their oil changed. Guess I can only blame myself though shoulda been the first thing I done when I got the car! :x

Any suggestions guys? whats my best bet here? rebuild, engine swap, or sell the car for parts? Well I'm off to the classefieds section to see if I can get me a new woo for coming back to!
Last edited by REY04 on Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

"DRIVE WITH PRIDE"
Spider
Expert

A seized engine won't crank over.

Post by Spider »

LeganzaNewbie wrote:Just got a call from my buddy who is a mechanic who took a look at the car for me. Engine is seized. Apparently the last owners that had it just kept adding oil additives instead of going to get their oil changed. Guess I can only blame myself though shoulda been the first thing I done when I got the car! :x

Your friend is saying the engine is seized and you are saying it was turning over normally.

Which is it ?

If your engine is shot ? And you like the car ? You can rebuild it or swap a good used one into it.
~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

- -- Thomas Edison
Spider
Expert

Post by Spider »

REY04 wrote:its your call bro. i think the damage is only on the wornout crankshaft follower because of the excessive loads. better also if you change the whole engine if its cheaper on your part.

What is a "crankshaft follower" ?
~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

- -- Thomas Edison
REY04

Post by REY04 »

Spider wrote:
REY04 wrote:its your call bro. i think the damage is only on the wornout crankshaft follower because of the excessive loads. better also if you change the whole engine if its cheaper on your part.

What is a "crankshaft follower" ?
Sorry, wrong term. its a camshaft and not a crankshaft. sorry, hehehe

"DRIVE WITH PRIDE"
LeganzaNewbie

Re: A seized engine won't crank over.

Post by LeganzaNewbie »

Spider wrote:

Your friend is saying the engine is seized and you are saying it was turning over normally.

Which is it ?

If your engine is shot ? And you like the car ? You can rebuild it or swap a good used one into it.

I came back to the US a couple of days ago and went down to the garage, my buddy said that the engine was seized because the oil in the car was really really old and dirty. The last time I tried to start the car I would turn the key and it would turn over normally but the engine would not start. I really dont know whats wrong with it and this guy knows more about cars than I do so I'm just kinda going by what he said. I am the point where I'm just tired of dealing with it now, I've put it in the classifieds as a whole parts car but if any of you guys wanna buy it and take a bash at fixing it feel free.

Thanks for all the help anyway guys.