motor swap

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

zack

motor swap

Post by zack »

I need a little info if anyone can help. Will an Aveo motor fit in a Lanos? If so, are all the mounts the same? Will the ps pump, alternator and a/c compressor fit? Thanks for the help.
2000 Daewoo Lanos
mezomaster
Expert

Post by mezomaster »

as far as i know, they are the same typically in everything and they do fit to swap in Lanos and vise versa
>2004 Nubira, 1.6L (Manual Transmission)
>Custom made cold air intake
>Custom made headers & 2" pipe with mid Walker filter and rear Jasma-5Ziegen muffler
>Custom made intake manifold with 2.0L TB and larger injectors (soon to be done)
Spider
Expert

Post by Spider »

zack wrote:I need a little info if anyone can help. Will an Aveo motor fit in a Lanos? If so, are all the mounts the same? Will the ps pump, alternator and a/c compressor fit? Thanks for the help.
mezomaster wrote:as far as i know, they are the same typically in everything and they do fit to swap in Lanos and vise versa
+1

And.....
Zack ? Are you the guy that was gonna sell or part out your Lanos ?
I saw the pictures of it and it looks like a nice car.
I hope your question here means your gonna keep it ?

:)
~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

"The three great essentials to achieving anything worthwhile are; first, hard work, second, stick-to-it-iveness, and third, common sense."
- -- Thomas Edison
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

Careful, the engine is the same block different head. The electrical system is very different though. If I recall, the companies that sourced the parts to the Lanos and Aveo are different.

Lanos engines are cheaper too...And stronger. No plastic valve cover, no plastic intake manifold. I'm sure you can find a good, low mileage one within 30 miles of you for about $500.
zack

Post by zack »

If i can find a motor cheep i will keep it. So it looks like i need a lanos motor.
2000 Daewoo Lanos
mezomaster
Expert

Post by mezomaster »

Bosnian, i have seen aveo 1.5L engine and it was exactly like the 1.5L lanos engine but i am not very sure about the 1.6L engines, as far as i know, they have the same everything but only a plastic intake manifold although it has the same shape and same working idea
>Custom made headers & 2" pipe with mid Walker filter and rear Jasma-5Ziegen muffler
>Custom made intake manifold with 2.0L TB and larger injectors (soon to be done)
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

mezomaster wrote:Bosnian, i have seen aveo 1.5L engine and it was exactly like the 1.5L lanos engine but i am not very sure about the 1.6L engines, as far as i know, they have the same everything but only a plastic intake manifold although it has the same shape and same working idea
Keep in mind, I never said the ENGINE is different, I said the electrical components are.

I believe the head design is different, but since no on knows yet, I can't say yes or no.

The Aveo uses a Delphi system, if I recall, while the Lanos uses an older Delco system. If you search around, you can see that I post I made over 2 years ago details the troubles I had installing an Aveo coil pack on a Lanos. While aesthetically they were IDENTICAL, the plugs were different, and the Aveo coil had three wires leading to it, while the Lanos had 4. They were NOT plug-and-play. I was told it would work, but custom wiring would be involved.

Now, if zack wants to take the risk and buy an Aveo engine, it is up to him. I'm positive that the engine would bolt right up, but when it came time to start plugging sensors in, he may develop a problem. I'm almost certain that Aveo engines are also more expensive than comparable mileage Lanos engines.

I may be wrong, but I think this has been discussed. If there is anyone to refute/support my idea, please come forward.
mezomaster
Expert

Post by mezomaster »

to be honest i didnt notice the difference very well between electrical components but ya maybe thats what they mean by ECOTECII
Spider
Expert

Post by Spider »

Well, i didnt even think about the electronics. :roll:

Bosnian Lanos ,
What about Suzuki's ? Don't they use the 1.6 lanos engine too ?

Zack,
Have you tried your local wrecking yards ? If you find a Lanos that was in a rear-end wreck? Chances are very good that engine will be fine.
Replace the timing belt, water-pump, related pulleys and away you go.
Or, E-bay ? Thats where i found mine. It had 80k miles on it, runs like new. $400-usd plus my gas to go get it.
Shipping can get costly tho. Try to stay local.

Another option would be to have a reputable rebuilder rebuild your engine. I think that could be done for around 15 hundred (usd)

Good luck,

~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

"The three great essentials to achieving anything worthwhile are; first, hard work, second, stick-to-it-iveness, and third, common sense."
- -- Thomas Edison
Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

As far as I know the heads are the same design... casting numbers are different, but the physically look the same. The cams are identical, as are the ports...

I've been searching, forever, for a picture of an Aveo crank pulley to see how it bolts on and if you could bolt it onto the Lanos crank meaning you could use the UD pulley on the Lanos :x
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

i heard that the aveo doesnt have the crank trigger, or its different, im not sure if its true or not but thats just what i heard. so if it is true the aveo crank pully wont work.

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
Spider
Expert

My 2 cents (usd)

Post by Spider »

Wrecked Daewoos are gonna be at a premium as time goes on.
But !
By now ? Wrecking yards, which have always been a great parts/engine source, should be getting a decent inventory of Aveos, Suzuki's.. etc.
My hope is we will get all the facts on these engines that are in cars that are not badged Daewoo.
Maybe even (eventually) a list under FAQ ?
~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

- -- Thomas Edison
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

hold on guys... the concern here is engine mounts

as far as i remeber in here the aveo came wit hthe 1.5 SOHC just like the lanos BUT it had a front engine mount that is similar to the one on the 2.0 engine i.e. engine mount right under the 2 cam gears and the PWS pump is between the head and radiator.

the 1.5 SOHC and 1.6 DOHC lanos engines got the mount at the side and PWS under the cam(s) so you can't swap that into an aveo unless you are going to mod the engine mounts and that is going to be easy.

the good thing about that is the fact that dropping a 2.0 or 2.2 in an aveo will be easy... as long as the engine bay will have enough space.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

1.6 DOHC aveo engine... see the PWS pump??

and the mount?

MMamdouh
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

Audacity Racing wrote: I've been searching, forever, for a picture of an Aveo crank pulley to see how it bolts on and if you could bolt it onto the Lanos crank meaning you could use the UD pulley on the Lanos :x
from the pics i can see the aveo crank is like the 2.0 and 2.2 style (no teethed ring or whatever it is called) so you can use the 2.0 UD for the aveo but not for a lanos.

one more difference is the MAP, the 1.5 aveo got the 2.0/2.2 style map that is mounted directly on the intake mani... the 1.5 and 1.6 lanos got the remot MAP mounted on the fire wall and connected to the intake by a vacuum line.

MMamdouh