Timing Belt Area-(Idle)or(Tensioner) -WHINNING! -NOW FIXED!!

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

mezomaster
Expert

Post by mezomaster »

change them before its too late, by the way, u can come to egypt with the car and change them for less than half money which u would pay there :p :lol:
>2004 Nubira, 1.6L (Manual Transmission)
>Custom made cold air intake
>Custom made headers & 2" pipe with mid Walker filter and rear Jasma-5Ziegen muffler
>Custom made intake manifold with 2.0L TB and larger injectors (soon to be done)
Andrew21

UPDATE !!!! NOISE FIXED !!!

Post by Andrew21 »

UPDATEE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOISEEE IS GONE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guys i was mucking around in the garage today looking at a few things in the engine bay of the lanos and i thought i'd spray some WD40 on what looks to be the waterpump bolts that looked rusty...Guess wat??? The whinning noise went away !!!! I sprayed some more and the noise is gone... So if this has fixed the problem i just saved myself alot of money !!! Maybe the Idle and Tensioner pulley's are fine afterall??

Something to take into consideration, which could have been the cuase of this is the previous owner of the car had it sitting in his garage for around 6 months without being driven, i reckon the bolt just rusted up and thats why it started squeeling..
Abit of WD40 and its free again and all good...

Well i'll see how it goes but so far so good....

Im so freakn happy i just saved myself alot of money if this fixes it....

P.S - You might say, Why didnt i do this before ? The mechanic i took the car too did spray a 'little' bit of some lubricating and the noise didnt go away so he said it wasnt that area... He must not have sprayed close enough to thos bolts !!!

Here's a picture of the bolts i sprayed.. This is he Water pump right??
Im assuming the bolt was just rusty and now its free again and everything is fine? Or do you think this is a indication that the water pump is on its way out?

MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

this is the PWS pump... and problably the belt was causing this squel.

after a while the WD 40 will dry out and the sound will come back... use axel grease to lubricate the belt instead of WD40 as it eats into rubber... better off to replace the belt as it is already old and probably dried out.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
Andrew21

Post by Andrew21 »

What does PWS stand for ??

Also im pretty sure its not the actual belt that is loose rather just the rusty bolts that needed lubrication..
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

PWS= Power Steering pump

i didn't say the belt is lose... i said it is stiff and thus slipping a bit and causing the sound you are hearing... can't remedy that with over tesioning the belt

BOLTS by default are not a moving part so they don't need lubrication till you are trying to remove them.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
Spider
Expert

Post by Spider »

MMamdouh wrote:PWS= Power Steering pump

i didn't say the belt is lose... i said it is stiff and thus slipping a bit and causing the sound you are hearing... can't remedy that with over tesioning the belt

BOLTS by default are not a moving part so they don't need lubrication till you are trying to remove them.
MMamdouh

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
..............................after a while the WD 40 will dry out and the sound will come back... use axel grease to lubricate the belt instead of WD40 as it eats into rubber... better off to replace the belt as it is already old and probably dried out.
MMamdouh
+1
Get yourself a new belt installed and adjust it again after you have gone 100 miles.
You could even treat yourself to having it done with all the money you saved. ;)
~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

"The three great essentials to achieving anything worthwhile are; first, hard work, second, stick-to-it-iveness, and third, common sense."
- -- Thomas Edison
Andrew21

Post by Andrew21 »

MMamdouh wrote:PWS= Power Steering pump

MMamdouh
I will monitor the sound, so far 2 days and no whinning yet....
My only reason for thinking its not the actual belt is when i check the condition of the belt it looked good condition... No cracks e.t.c ..
On the PWS pump there are 3 (10mm bolts i think) and once big Allen key style grub screw in the middle...Im pretty sure thats the "Rotating" screw that was making the noise ( which i sprayed WD40) , causing some kind of rusty friction..

Because the noise that it was making doesnt sound like the normal noise belts make which is kinda of screeching noise... this noise was more whinning noise...

But thanks for all the advice i will monitor closely...And if need be i will have the belt replaced...

Thank again.
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

there are no moving parts on the outside of the pws pump. so even the allen screw doesnt move. your pws pump might need to be replaced. im not saying it WILL have be replaced, but it might.

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
zack

Post by zack »

I had the same problem with my Lanos. The problem was that the belt was too tight. This was causing the PSP too make a whining noise. The problem could also be a bad seal on the psp line. If that is the problem watch the psp fluid for leaks. Good luck on finding the problem.
2000 Daewoo Lanos
Andrew21

Post by Andrew21 »

Thanks for the tip dude...

I sprayed WD40 and put a big of bearing grease on those bolts & Grub Screw ( despite everyone telling me thats not the problem) and so far 3 days later still no noise...I did check the belt and it did seem alittle tight ? No obvious signs of cracks though ?

If the noise comes back soon then i'll just take it straight to mechanic and get him to change that belt...So far ..so good though..

Im still just so bloody happy that i dont have to go through all the trouble of changing the timing belt and pulley's e.t.c....