Lanos Fuel System Control

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

BosnianLanos
Expert

Lanos Fuel System Control

Post by BosnianLanos »

Well, as some of you know, I'm going with NITROUS on my Sport. The likely candidate is a Zex Wet Kit, as I've heard the best about it. I'm gonna run a 35 shot, 55 if I get cocky, and 75 if I feel particularly upset with my engine or transmission.

I got an amazing engineering job for the summer which pays me WAY more than I deserve, but its keeping the bank account high enough for extensive mods. I'd like to get all of this taken care of before UF in the fall.

But right now, I wanna do the prep work so that I can have a "safe" nitrous experience.

1. I have a Leganza TB that has been fully ported out with that stupid lip flange thingy removed.
2. I have a spare Lanos Manifold that has been ported to match the Leganza opening.
3. I have an Integra GSR CAI, this time with an AEM bypass. :D
4. Heat wrap for the Intake.
5. Aftermarket Fuel Pressure Regulator.
6. Leganza Injectors.
7. A/F Gauge, Oil Pressure Gauge, Water Temp. Gauge.
8. TransOceanic Search for Headers.
9. EvoFusion Exhaust.

I don't think anything here will give me a great boost in horsepower. Maybe 7-8 HP on a Cold day, but mainly stock HP numbers are expected. I just love the idea of having a firm hold on the controls on the engine.

Am I missing anything? Should I worry about standalone or piggyback management with such a low shot of Nitrous? Are there any problems I might run into with the fuel controls or the larger volume of the manifold or higher CFM of the TB? Will the computer panic, or have I formed the right sort of system to be able to control Air/Fuel delivery to my Nitrous Setup?

My final goal is 110-120 to the wheels (125-135 Crank) with Nitrous, is that achievable? Is that conservative, optimistic, or a good goal? I don't want some beastly unstreetable car, or some unattainable goals . Just something that has a little extra oomph for merging on the highway and scaring the pee out of ricer boys on the streets of Gainseville. Fuel savings and reliability are now a major issue.

For those of you concerned with safety, I do have upgraded brakes (EBC pads, Slotted Rotors) and soon-to-be-ordered sport seats, with brackets from an OEM Lanos with Sparco 4-point harnesses.

And in case you're wondering, which I would be. Yes, I have purchased all of the parts and all are either on hand or en route. Everything above cost me about $450 minus the seats/belts, the most of that lying in the $300 Exhaust.

Also, I need the Fuel-Line-to-Hose fitting as found here http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s ... 2_-1_10019 so that I can remove the stock Fuel pressure regulator from the fuel rail and replace it with a fitting and a hose leading to the new adjustable one. I'm assuming the opening is metric, but what is it closest to in US? I can port out the hole and thread it so the new fitting can "fit".

And also, I think the stock Lanos Fuel pressure is 42-47 PSI. Does that sound right? I just need a place to start the car so the tuning can commence.

Thanks a lot for your help and pics coming SOOOOOON!

Thanks a million for your help guys and I hope to soon reach the realm of the "fast" Lanos.

And yes, the Green Lanos is as good as ever and will serve as my daily until this project is done.

Damir.
TheSage

Post by TheSage »

Smart man for going with the wet nitrous kit. To be honest a 35/50/75 shot nitrous kit should work fine with a stock engine as long as you don't put the squeeze on too, too long. A safe nitrous experience includes a beefier nitrous kit though... Like a bottle heater, remote bottle opener, safety switches... And remember 10 seconds = .8 pounds of nitrous @ 3.5-5 dollars a pound. Use wisely.
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

UPDATE:

I assume someone is interested...

A rather horrendous work schedule, a pretty bad cold, truly ridiculous weather, as well as traveling across the country has kept me away from my car recently, but this weekend allows me some free time to myself in which I can complete some of my goals.

The intake is cut, painted, and wrapped with header wrap. Alls thats left is to install it tomorrow. I took a cheapo hood scoop, mounted it upside down and pop-riveted it to the plastic splash guard in the passenger-side wheel well. Fairly accurate measurements lined it up directly with the new filter. Instant ram air...very well concealed too. Generic bypass is installed. No more hyrdrolocking. (Knock on wood)

TB and manifold are out at a local shop called LHT performance. They'll mill out that weird lip in the Leganza TB and match the Lanos intake manifold. They'll custom fab a new gasket to ensure a proper seal. They'll also start construction on a new 2.5" exhaust. EF flaked on me and didn't have any in stock, then failed to notify me, so I cancelled my order.

I bought a whole mess of AN fuel line fittings from Jegs, including a new AN fuel filter. Reason being is that the entire fuel system is being converted to an AN system with braided hoses. I assume the flow will be helped some with the marginally larger wires and less restrictive filter, but its mainly for bling. The whole thing came to about $110. WAAAYYY less than I thought AN fittings cost.

The eclipse gauge pod was a total mis-fit, but at least the viewing angle is correct. Today I will hack some plastic off of the ends and use my old friend BONDO to blend it in with the oem A-pillar cover.

The nitrous? She sit and she wait. Makes me very sad.

Oh well, it'll all lead to a fun weekend!

Pics to come as soon as the AN fittings are delivered.

And I'll take pics of all of the installs so I can put a "How-To" together!
jidasas
Expert

Post by jidasas »

Sweet man...I know at least one person is interested...me :D I want to see how this turns out...I expect around 50-75 horse gain with my first stage of my turbo plan so it'll be nice to get an idea of what to expect out of it.

Jimmy