Looking for Opinions on Magnaflow Muffler (only) - 1.6

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Woody_in_MN

Looking for Opinions on Magnaflow Muffler (only) - 1.6

Post by Woody_in_MN »

I have the '06 Aveo 1.6. As most of us are painfully aware, there are not many bolt on performance parts. I already have a short ram intake (CAI). If I go to a street legal Magnaflow muffler (only - not cat back) will I see any gains?

I once had a Mazda Protege5. I put a Mazdaspeed muffler on that. The gain was not that much, and the drone at highway speed really detracted from the useability of that car. I lived to regrete putting the Mazdaspeed muffler on that car. I do not want to repeat that mistake again.

I can put up with a little more noise. But if I'm not really going to get any gain in power, I will not bother. Also, I am not interested in turboing - that is non starter for me.

Any opinions on the Maganaflow muffler?

Thanks,

- W
2006 Chevy Aveo 1.6 LT Hatchback 5 spd Maui Blue
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

It'll be fairly loud at highway speeds. The Aveo/Lanos are geared to rev at like 4000 RPM at 70 MPH, this being the peak of the power band makes the car loud in stock senses.

There will be some gains, but if your picky about noise, they're not worth it.
jidasas
Expert

Post by jidasas »

I agree even with a cat back your only gonna see maybe 5-8 hp at the wheels at best. I have a fairly quiet muffler...it is well below the legal limit and it still gets annoying on the highway sometimes.

Jimmy
TheSage

Post by TheSage »

I saw gains on my Aveo only after removing the first muffler and resonator from the exhaust. I replaced those with a glasspack (old school Cherry Bomb) and just ran a pipe straight back from there. I'd say I got a 5HP gain, but my car is about 95dB now. It's very loud, but I just drown it out with my stereo and shrug it off.

There are a couple "tunable" mufflers out there now, but a muffler in itself may just not do much.
Woody_in_MN

Post by Woody_in_MN »

jidasas wrote:I agree even with a cat back your only gonna see maybe 5-8 hp at the wheels at best. I have a fairly quiet muffler...it is well below the legal limit and it still gets annoying on the highway sometimes.

Jimmy
Jimmy,

Do you have the Magnaflow? If so which one?

- W