grounding wires

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

TnastyII

grounding wires

Post by TnastyII »

where are the best locations in the forenza to put ground wires? i know of 2 and im getting 5 wires. any help?
Thanks
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

you only need 2 grounding points. neg to engine block, and neg to body. if you want you can also do a body to block at the same points you put your ground wires. make sure there is no dirt, oil, paint etc at your contact points.

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
TnastyII

Post by TnastyII »

where do i put it on the engine block?
mezomaster
Expert

Post by mezomaster »

at the place where the stock wire is mounted, just put your new wire in the same place
TnastyII

Post by TnastyII »

this is my idea for now. one on alternator, TB, near coils or on intake mani, body, to neg battery. hows that sound?
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

over kill, you only need 2. but if you really want all of those extras, then go for it, it cant hurt.

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
TnastyII

Post by TnastyII »

ok. i mean im getting 5 wires. might as well use them. but can i do that? point to point or do ALL the wires have to touch the neg battery and not just one?
mezomaster
Expert

Post by mezomaster »

the best performance that every wire starts from the negative battery to the end point which u want
TnastyII

Post by TnastyII »

ok thanks! i thought thats the way it was supposed to be
Jsmith89

Post by Jsmith89 »

TnastyII wrote:this is my idea for now. one on alternator, TB, near coils or on intake mani, body, to neg battery. hows that sound?
I wouldn't put one on the alternator, though. I just installed a 7 wire grounding kit from ebay last week and the car wouldn't start. I pulled the wires off and left it back to stock. Then I researched it and a knowledgeable person said that the alternator is really a "Positive" and should not be grounded. Who knows, perhaps that is what was causing it not to start. Also, the grounding kit should be 100% copper and for best results, 4 gauge copper stranded wire. DO NOT USE ANY ALUMINUM WIRE OR ALUMINUM BATTERY TERMINALS! A book that I have read ("Wired for Success" - about auto. wiring) strongly suggests that you run a ground cable from battery negative to one of the bolts on the starter (unscrew one mounting bolt, and place a wire terminal over the hole and replace starter bolt)..He says that is a much better ground for the entire car. :smt031
TnastyII

Post by TnastyII »

where is the starter? i dont have my car right now so i cant just go look under the hoood :cry: its in the shop getting its dents fixed. the wires i ordered are copper and are 4GA. what about I take the wire i was gonna hook up to neg to alternator and make it pos to alternator(someone on the suzuki forums did this) and his runs. or should i just not do the alternator at all and put it on the starter?
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

Jsmith89 wrote:
TnastyII wrote:this is my idea for now. one on alternator, TB, near coils or on intake mani, body, to neg battery. hows that sound?
I wouldn't put one on the alternator, though. I just installed a 7 wire grounding kit from ebay last week and the car wouldn't start. I pulled the wires off and left it back to stock. Then I researched it and a knowledgeable person said that the alternator is really a "Positive" and should not be grounded. Who knows, perhaps that is what was causing it not to start. Also, the grounding kit should be 100% copper and for best results, 4 gauge copper stranded wire. DO NOT USE ANY ALUMINUM WIRE OR ALUMINUM BATTERY TERMINALS! A book that I have read ("Wired for Success" - about auto. wiring) strongly suggests that you run a ground cable from battery negative to one of the bolts on the starter (unscrew one mounting bolt, and place a wire terminal over the hole and replace starter bolt)..He says that is a much better ground for the entire car. :smt031
the alternator wire upgrade is a wire from the alternator to the +ve side of the battry... good thing you didn't catch fire or fry something during that process

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
TnastyII

Post by TnastyII »

i havnt put them on my car yet...prob wont do one to the alternator