Which way do I turn the crank shaft pulley bolt?

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

craig

Which way do I turn the crank shaft pulley bolt?

Post by craig »

Hi. I'm a new member and this is my first post.

I drive (drove) a 97 Daewoo Nubira with a 1.6 DOHC engine.

I am in the process of replacing a leaky head gasket. I now need to remove the crank shaft pulley and I need to know in which direction to turn the crank shaft pulley bolt for removal. Do I turn it clockwise or anti-clockwise? (Please reply with more than just a yes or no answer.)

I have already figured out I'll need to hold the intake camshaft in place with a wrench. All I need to know is in which direction to turn the crank shaft pulley bolt.

The service manual reference to where I'm at is J3B11CD4.
The tree reference is "Nubira-Lacetti\Engine\1.4L/1.6L DOHC ENGINE MECHANICAL\MAINTENANCE AND REPAIR\ON-VEHICLE SERVICE\Cylinder Head and Gasket\J3B11CD4"

Your assistance will be appreciated.

Craig
Zydawn

Post by Zydawn »

I can understand why you ask I always expect them to do something tricky when it comes to the crankshaft pulley but I'm 99% sure it normal.
clockwise on anticlockwise off.
be careful how you restrain the cam a little trick I learnt is to move the number 1 piston down then feed some nylon rope into the spark plug hole then move the piston back up just make sure that both valves are closed and you leave enough rope so you can take it out again.
that should stop the crank from turning without any damage to the cam or belts or pulleys.
I know everyone is going to laugh and say nylon rope hahaha but I've used it many times.

(disclaimer
I take no responsibility for injuries or damage caused by someone else)
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

righty tighty lefty loosy. (with the ratchet handle pointed straight up, pull to the left)

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
Spider
Expert

Post by Spider »

daewoomofo wrote:righty tighty lefty loosy. (with the ratchet handle pointed straight up, pull to the left)
Thats absolutely correct Daewoomofo !
Unfortunately, a rachet won't loosen it.
He needs a bigger gun than that.
Like an air impact wrench !!!!

:lol:
~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

"The three great essentials to achieving anything worthwhile are; first, hard work, second, stick-to-it-iveness, and third, common sense."
- -- Thomas Edison
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

yeah i know i was just letting him know for future reference i had to use my impact gun to do my timing belt.

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
Spider
Expert

Post by Spider »

daewoomofo wrote:yeah i know i was just letting him know for future reference i had to use my impact gun to do my timing belt.
I knew you knew that. I just posted that for his benefit and others that might be doing one sometime for the first time.
Personally, I would never attempt a job like that for the first time without a factory service manual at my fingertips.
Not only for the "how-to" but also for the torque specs. I know that a lot of 411 can be had in here and I have received a LOT.
I appreciate all of it too.
But when I'm all greasy and out in my outdoor open-air shop ? I hate to come in here and get on my computer, ask a question, than wait for a reply. A reply that may or may not arrive.:roll:

:)
~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

"The three great essentials to achieving anything worthwhile are; first, hard work, second, stick-to-it-iveness, and third, common sense."
- -- Thomas Edison