Almost died @ startup

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

MMamdouh

Almost died @ startup

Post by MMamdouh »

yesterday my car did something funny... it was parked for approx. 8 hours and i started it to go back home from work, didn't give her any warmup time... just 30 seconds or so then i throwed in 1st gear and started to move.

the car felt like it had 10HP or so and when i stepped on the accelerator to get some more revs the engine was kinda like choaking more and more as i pres the pedal till i heard a backfile kinda sound but it was in the intake not the exhaust system.

i backed off the throttle and got it out of gear and revved it a couple of times then started moving again... now it felt it got 40HP and hesitates a bit when you step on the gas... all those issues went away as the car temp raised up a little bit.

i know i shouldn't judge a cold engine but the car never did that before on a cold start... what can cause this? and whats with the "misfire" sound in the intake? can someone provide some advice?

car: '99 lanos with 1.5 SOHC with 99k kms on it
spark plugs: NGK with 15k kms on them
Spark plug wires: GM with 15k kms on them
injectors are suspected to be leaking and that might have caused the spark plugs to develop some deposits... not sure as i didn't pull off the spark plugs for inspection yet.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

Is this not relative to a stuck open EGR valve?
Did you checked ECU for DTC?

Daniel
Spider
Expert

Post by Spider »

Maybe a fuel issue ? starving for gas ? how about your fuel filter, old ?
~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

"The three great essentials to achieving anything worthwhile are; first, hard work, second, stick-to-it-iveness, and third, common sense."
- -- Thomas Edison
Dillon
Expert

Post by Dillon »

mine dose the same thing when its cold.

I had couple exhaust leaks and i thought that was it but i got them fixed and it helped ALOT but still dose it a little wich is due to a bad gasket.

KDM 2.0 Nubira
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

Daniel wrote:Is this not relative to a stuck open EGR valve?
haven't checked my EGR valve... i am planing to bypass it in the near future though.
Did you checked ECU for DTC?
No DTCs were regestred or CEL.

MMamdouh
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

Spider wrote:Maybe a fuel issue ? starving for gas ? how about your fuel filter, old ?
fuel pump is working fine, my injectors are leaking and fuel filter is relativly new... 15k kms on it.

is it normal for a car to missbehave when it is cold? and what's with the misfire or backfire i heard?

MMamdouh
Spider
Expert

Post by Spider »

MMamdouh wrote:
Spider wrote:Maybe a fuel issue ? starving for gas ? how about your fuel filter, old ?
fuel pump is working fine, my injectors are leaking and fuel filter is relativly new... 15k kms on it.

is it normal for a car to missbehave when it is cold? and what's with the misfire or backfire i heard?

MMamdouh
Maybe if its 40 degree's below zero F. But normal "cold" ? no.

I had a simular condition with a Kawasaki motorcycle once, running rough, backfiring, hard starting. When it warmed up it ran fine.
It turned out to be a intake valve that was to tight.
But those valves were adjustable and our's are not. I am wondering if your oxegon sensor didn't tell the computer that it was in "cold" mode ?
Just a guess.
Or, is there a chance you bought some gas that was old/stale ? Maybe those leaking injectors ar leaking more than before ? How do your spark-plugs look ?

air filter ok ?
I had a mouse fill up the bottom part of mine with dry dog food. But that car was sitting for a few months.
:)
~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

"The three great essentials to achieving anything worthwhile are; first, hard work, second, stick-to-it-iveness, and third, common sense."
- -- Thomas Edison
Turtle_Wax
Junior

Post by Turtle_Wax »

On my Lanos if you start it from cold and only drive a short distance and switch off and leave it, the next time you start it will sound very rough and spluttering and takes a while to clear. I've read this happens because the ecu thinks it stopped because of fuel starvation and will overfuel the mixture when you next start causing it to run like a bag of spanners until it clears the excess fuel.
ivanhoe

Post by ivanhoe »

Dillon wrote:mine dose the same thing when its cold.

I had couple exhaust leaks and i thought that was it but i got them fixed and it helped ALOT but still dose it a little wich is due to a bad gasket.

Same thing with mine. I will do a wynn's rcp tretment next week, will c diference.
http://www.cannonballforums.se : CannonBall Community - Cars, Clubs & Tuners