Coolant in the second cylinder

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

David74

Coolant in the second cylinder

Post by David74 »

Since i've been having hard starts for a while now ,this morning i checked the spark plugs before i started the car and i saw that my 2nd cylinder was full of Green Coolant .Before i do the Head gaskuet job,is there anything else that i should be checking that can cause coolant to go in to the cylinders???
Thanks guys ,this really bad news and i hope there is something else that can cause that....???

I forgot to mention that the Oil looks good,so it doesnt mix it with coolant .
Lanos 2000 1.6 DOHC
Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

Head gasket sounds like the culpret, but if you can have the head tested for leakdown or cracks you might have a better piece of mind. It's a little strange to see coolant in the cylinder and not oil, but not totally out of the realm of possibility
daewhorider
Junior

Re: Coolant in the second cylinder

Post by daewhorider »

Im in the midst of fixing this problem myself. I would send the head in to be machined also, dont buy any gasket sets under 130$ believe me that was a mistake even tho i never installed the ones i got. While youre there you may as well replace the timing belt and water pump also. Good luck this littleproblem has left me without a car for the past month and given my gaskets come this week my car should be running saturday......if not im gonna be pissed.
Hi, I'm Andrei and I approve of this message.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2667367
Me car
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

Chris from the .net had loads of coolat in cyl. #4... so far i have seen more "coolant in combustion chamber" symptoms rather than "oil in combustion chamber"

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
lanowoo
Expert

Post by lanowoo »

And. to my opinion you are luckyto have coolant than oil.. cause that means there is no loss of lubrication of the engine, which is good in that case. Also, isn't the coolant passages closer to the cylinder than the oil passageways.
WOOOOO HOOOOO for a DAEWOO!!
-SRI -RE:APC STAINLESS STEEL PERFORMANCE FILTER
-VALVE COVER VENT FILTER
-CUSTOM ROD CRYSTAL DRIVING LIGHTS
-1200W AMP WITH 12" SUB -KICKS WOO BUTT!!!!!
David74

Post by David74 »

""I would send the head in to be machined also""

Oh Yes thats ,thats for sure.

""dont buy any gasket sets under 130$ ""
I know, 3 months ago i got one of those complete gaskuet sets from ebay for $59 and the only thing i replaced at the time was the Valve cover gaskuet and the seals rings for the Camshafts ,the gaskuet lasted 1 month and started leaking again ,i'm not sure about the Cam seal rings ,will find out when we take the head off.But i can get the head gaskuet from daewoous for $21 and still use the Intake and Exhaust gaskuet from the cheap ones ,since changing those are not big deal.

If the head is cracked ,there have been some Lanos heads on ebay,that have been rebuild already for $420 ,but i'll have to wait for a week to get to CA from FL.They give i think 12 month warranty,i'm not sure if they chainged the valves and lifters with new ones.I wouldn't think so .Anybody with any expirience buying head from Clearwater cylinder heads???
Also the main office of daewoo US is in CA close to me ,and i can get a complete brand new Head direct from them for $600.So i've been thinking if i should buy the head direct from daewoo and get over with -- No machine shops ,no leaking or cracking shi......

I like the car ,is the one with Power windows and the Sportish looking maching door trim and leather seats ,red and black.
Thanks guys!!!
Lanos 2000 1.6 DOHC
Spider
Expert

Post by Spider »

Had the same thing happen with a Toyota 18R once. Its an internal cyl head gasket blow-out. You will see the "path" the coolant took when you get the head off. No coolant in the oil means you have good sealing piston rings.
If the coolant is still sitting on the piston head? it will slowly seap down the cylinder wall. Be sure to dry it up ASAP and be sure to squirt a mixture of WD40 and motor oil on that piston before you button things up. Even hand crank it a few times before you start it.

The head may or may not be warped. If you have low milage on that engine? You could have it machine shop checked for cracks, bad valves/seats and warpage.
If its ok ? Than you won't need a new head.
You can check the block surface with a streight-edge (probably ok) than just re-gasket, and go.
This is a good time too, as said above, to do timing belt and related parts.
My old Toyota had about 100k miles on it when this happened. I had the head checked. It was fine, re-gasketed and went another 100k. miles.

Whatever you decide to do ?

good luck !
:)
Last edited by Spider on Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

"The three great essentials to achieving anything worthwhile are; first, hard work, second, stick-to-it-iveness, and third, common sense."
- -- Thomas Edison
David74

Post by David74 »

Well,the car has 120000 on it and its been running fine and still runs great .Its just the when you start the car its really hard.I know i shouldnt be driving it now ,cause any moment can start overheat,but so far the Temp its been fine.
I don't know why this happend,i ve always been babying this car - changing Oil every 2000 miles,Trany oil every 30000,all belts every 40000 /including new Pulleys and water pump / i just changed the belts 1000 miles ago.

Right now this is my only car and i have to wait till Thursday till friend at the shop has time to check the head and let me know if its just the gasket or the head its cracked.He is charging me $350 for the labor / taking it out and puting it in /I'm not sure what the machine shop will charge me to test the head and possible rebuild .Dealer asks for $1600 for labor only .....????........crazy you can get a whole Lanos for that money...

The thing is that at this miles on that car, even if its just the gasket at this piont, seemse like many things can go bad in the future -- piston rings,valves, lifters...... i 'm not sure how that works but thats what i think , so why not get a brand new head from daewoo and be done with it for another 100000 miles.Everything including parts and labor will be $1000.

One more thing i just thought about is that 10 days ago,we checked the cylinders pressure and Cylinder #2 had like 8.5 reading and the rest of them were around 11 .But thats not the one that gets coolant in to , so maby there is more to it than just gasket . I dont know the Cylinder order on that car.

Is it like this ..??? Cyl # 1 is the on the left close to the timing belt and than as follows #2, #3, and #4 from left to right????
Thanks !!!
Lanos 2000 1.6 DOHC
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

your cylinder numbering is correct indeed... however i recall you said that you get coolant in cyl #2 in the first post you made.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267