Oil pressure light, is this normal.....???

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

David74

Oil pressure light, is this normal.....???

Post by David74 »

Hi guys ,i've noticed that when i start the car the Oil pressure light will go ON and quickly go OFF,way before the rest of the lights - check engine ,seat belts ...and so on......Is this normal ???I just replaced the Oil Pressure switch / sensor /,it was doing it before so i guess is not the sensor.
Thanks!!!
Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

As long as it's not on while the engine is running, you should be ok. Just always make sure you check the oil atleast once a week and perform regular work and it whould be fine.
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

the lights all come on when you start the car, its so that you can see that they all work, so yes its normal

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
David74

Post by David74 »

I understand that ,but why is it that tha Oil Pressure will came ON and OFF so Fast ,and the rest will stay there for a few more seconds???
Thanks!!!
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

As soon as you crank your engine the oil pressure builds up. When target pressure is reached lamp goes OFF. Looks normal to me too.
Daniel
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

Factory oil pressure sensors are usually set to trigger warning light when the oil pressure drops below somewhere around 7psi (thats the case in Dodge Neon, for example). I am suspecting this is very much similar case in the GM-Daewoo motors. So in essence what you see on the dashboard is the time it takes for your oil pump to create sufficient amount of oil pressure. If, like some other members mentioned, you oil pressure warning light goes on while driving, then there is a problem. If you are not absolutely sure whats going on, your local repair garage should be able to do oil pressure test with a gauge. For 1.6 DOHC motor, minimum oil pressure at idle at 80C oil temp (176F) is 30kPa (4.35 PSI).

I didnt see you mention mileage on the motor, but on your next oil change you may want to use good quality engine flush. This will help remove some sludge buildup in you oil pan and rest of the motor.

Post by David74 »

What is a good quality engine flush,what brand???My mechanic says stay way from that.In fact yestarday i chainged my oil and before i did that i put some Transmition oil 1 qt in the engine and let it run for 5 minutes ,didn't drive it though.I that's a safer way
Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

Next oil change, run seafoam through the engine (see the how-to section)
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

what other lights stay on a little longer than the oil pressure lamp?

you got CEL, e brakes, seatbelt, alternator and maybe an ABS.

CEL will go off after the engine starts for a little while and the same goes for alternator, e brakes and seatbelt will stay on till you disingage e brake and put the belt on respectivly.

oil pressure will go off when you have enough pressure to turn the lamp off... this could happen while you are cranking the engine so the light might go off before the others (CEL and alternator) and this is nothing to worry about.

only thing to worry about is if the light doesn't turn on at all (bad lamp of\r sending unit) or if the light comes on whilke driving or during idling... anything else is not a thing to worry about.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267