Top end rattle

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Wooboy

Top end rattle

Post by Wooboy »

G'day Guy's. I need a bit of advice.

I am getting topend noise when I accelerate in first and second gear, it doesn't seem to do it in third and up. I think it is valve/spring bounce.

My questions are:

Is this common in a 1500 Lanos?
What is recommended top RPM?
Any suggestions for valve spring rates, single or double?
what are other weak parts in the daewoo topend?
What are my options for a new cam?
Has anybody replaced the standard induction system? and with what. (I'm talking inlet/injectors etc)

Thanks for any help.
Lanos Good, 4WD Bad.
Wooboy

Post by Wooboy »

93 veiws and no opinions... thats a surprise.

I was serious, I need top end info. what are my options for a tougher top end.
Does anyone have any ideas on what is the best combination of cams/valves/springs/lifters etc.

I was a bit vague with the induction question, has anyone dumped the stock lanos inlet and scratch built their own or is there an off the shelf replacement that flows better.

For a while I was thinking of going turbo, but now I think I'll stay normally aspirated, but I want to beef up the top end, as I have had failures with that before. (The bottom end if fully rebuilt and is as sound as a drum) and the top is new but standard.

What are the max rev limits through the gears (stock) and what would you expect with a modified topend. where is the bottom end going to let me down.

I know there are a lot of question, but I know you guys are up to it. I dont want a race car, But I want to be able to push it every now and then.

Thanks.
Lanos Good, 4WD Bad.
MMamdouh

Re: Top end rattle

Post by MMamdouh »

Wooboy wrote:G'day Guy's. I need a bit of advice.

I am getting topend noise when I accelerate in first and second gear, it doesn't seem to do it in third and up. I think it is valve/spring bounce.
this is strange because if it is an engine problem it should not go away in some gears.
My questions are:

Is this common in a 1500 Lanos?
no
What is recommended top RPM?
for economic driving 2000~3000 RPM, for fast driving 6500 RPM (rev limiter).
Any suggestions for valve spring rates, single or double?
no idea
what are other weak parts in the daewoo topend?
none as far as "weak" is concerned if you replace the cam belt at the correct interval then the head will live for very long time.
What are my options for a new cam?
what is that supposed to mean? you are asking about performance cams or aftermarket cams??
Has anybody replaced the standard induction system? and with what. (I'm talking inlet/injectors etc)
no one did that on a 1.5 SOHC so far... review Efrain's intake on the 2.0 DOHC for some ideas.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

Wooboy wrote:93 veiws and no opinions... thats a surprise.

I was serious, I need top end info. what are my options for a tougher top end.
Does anyone have any ideas on what is the best combination of cams/valves/springs/lifters etc.
no idea as far as i am concerned
I was a bit vague with the induction question, has anyone dumped the stock lanos inlet and scratch built their own or is there an off the shelf replacement that flows better.
check Efrain's work on the C20XE... he scratch built an intake for his 2.0 DOHC.
For a while I was thinking of going turbo, but now I think I'll stay normally aspirated, but I want to beef up the top end, as I have had failures with that before. (The bottom end if fully rebuilt and is as sound as a drum) and the top is new but standard.
we already have a turboed 1.5 SOHC in the forum, check Tim's car in the nitrous/forced induction section as well a the how to section. why did you have a previous failure with the head? is it in anyway related to your cureent problems?
What are the max rev limits through the gears (stock)
do you mean you want the rev limits on the odometer?? in this case it will be:
1st 47 km/h
2nd 78 km/h
3rd 120 km/h
4th went up to 150 before and didn't hit limiter

this is based on my personal experiance on my 1.5 SOHC lanos.
and what would you expect with a modified topend. where is the bottom end going to let me down.
not much if any at all, you are limited with the stock fuel maps and rev limiters so unless you do something about those first - or add a turbo - you will be just waisting your money.

also no "expected" bottom end failure if you decided to beef up your head.
I know there are a lot of question, but I know you guys are up to it. I dont want a race car, But I want to be able to push it every now and then.
i still think putting a turbo on that engine will be a good thing, get a small turbo for quick spool and stay at 8 PSI or so to keep the stock internals... it will be easy job to do and lots of fun.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

MMamdouh wrote: i still think putting a turbo on that engine will be a good thing, get a small turbo for quick spool and stay at 8 PSI or so to keep the stock internals... it will be easy job to do and lots of fun.
MMamdouh
:smt023 :)