will it run without the alternator?

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

sparky

will it run without the alternator?

Post by sparky »

I have fitted a new timing belt on my lanos 1600 16v. I am trying to track down a whining rubbing sound. I think it is the power steering pulley. Can I remove the belt and run without the alternator or will it fry the electrics
m00ncrickit

Post by m00ncrickit »

As far as my understanding you can run your car for like 10-30 minutes on a fully charged battery. Once you kill it though you're going to have to take it in to get recharged.
2001 Daewoo Lanos (Silver) - Automatic Transmission - 1.6L DOHC Engine
delphis
Expert

Post by delphis »

if you have also changed the belt that goes around the altenator, it will whine until it gets nice and stretched out, then what you need to do is to loosen the pulley and push it out as hard as you can(usually works well if you have to people to do this) and then simply retighten it. the pulley is on a guide where it can move front to back. I hope this helps.
1989 240sx fastback with SR20DE
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

yes you can run it with out the alternator belt on, just dont do it for too long. and also make sure that all unnecessary electronics are off (radio, heater, A/C)

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
Slammed
Expert

Post by Slammed »

I think it depends on the belt you installed because mine rubbed for a couple of weeks and then stopped my mechanic said the belt was a tiny bit wider the my old belt and it would rub for a bit and now it is not
mezomaster
Expert

thats more easy solution:

Post by mezomaster »

just keep the belt, dont remove it, start the engine and get some engine oil or power steering oil and just drop some drops of oil on the inside side of the belt while its running, choose a clear area where u can see the inside of the belt and keep dropping some drops untill the sound goes, this will help preventing any sounds untill the belt just fit in the place and u wont need to drop any more oil again, it will stop the sound immediatly but just try not to drop alot of oil, only some drops untill the sound goes or u can just hear a lil whining sound for just couple of days and then its over
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

oil will cause the belt's rubber to deterrorate and the belt will fail... use axel greas instead.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

What is axel grease?

Daniel
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

grease that you use to lubricate axels and bearings.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267