screaming engine

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

carpetbagger

screaming engine

Post by carpetbagger »

has anyone any ideas about what could be causing this. engin screams intermittily,like a banshee!! sounds like its from the front of the camshafts (poss the inlet), removed the fan/ alternator belt the scream is still there,did this to discount bearings in alternator, ac pump, powersteering, the tensioner. removed the cams all bearing surfaces look ok and are reciving oil(thought one may be running dry). I have a slight suspicion it may be the oilseal at the front of the cam spinning in the housing,but being a sunday was unable to get the parts and the car is needed for monday so it was built backup. the scream is still there.
if any one has any other suggestions i would be most greatful
c02one

Post by c02one »

have u checked ur serpentine belt tensioner, mine used to sound like a bumble bee till that siezed on me, so it could be it.
carpetbagger

Post by carpetbagger »

yes checked that,as i said i removed the belt and the noise continuied, besides the tensioner
spins freely with no roughnes or side movement

thanks any way
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

sounds tricky... can you provide an audio sample for us??

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
Brian5475E
Expert

Post by Brian5475E »

Sounds like the timing belt tensioner. I would check that. if that seizes your engine is done because it will snap the timing belt.
Aveo that moves! Now I need those cams!
c02one

Post by c02one »

in the event it is the timing tensioner, worst case scenario is you would have to have the head redone and fit new pistons and possobly conrods.
carpetbagger

cured

Post by carpetbagger »

replaced all spining parts(waterpump,idlers, tensioner) plus oilseals,and while i was at it checked the ohc bearings. upon close inspection found that on the inlet cam the bearing closest to the timing belt had a slight burr to one edge, so i rubbed it of with very fine wet and dry being careful not to rub the bearing face (chamfered the edge so to speak). I know purist's will cringe,but hey it worked and sometimes one have to fly by the seat of their pants. the car now purrs and the wife is not embarresed sitting at the lights in a sreaming leggy. i am convinced the cam bearing was the culpret.

thank you to all that answered