CAI & crankcase vent tube

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

headly

CAI & crankcase vent tube

Post by headly »

Guys,

Just wondering what everyone has been doing with the crankcase vent tube when you have all been fitting your CAI's & SRI's ? Also, for those who have done a "ghetto" job, what have you done with the Air Intake Temp sensor ? Also, is anyone running crankcase ventilation to atmosphere through a small filter (K&N do one for this) ? If you are, does your donk get coated in crap?

Im working a few different ideas but was wondering what the general concensus was towards these points.

Thanks
woo
Expert

Re: CAI & crankcase vent tube

Post by woo »

its a EPA requirement to have it hooked up, and a defect if it isnt hooked up in australia unless the car is pre 1973. Been done for it before
330w carbon kevlar
you'd better believe thats a paddlin

"a woman is like a refridgerator, bout 6ft tall, 300 pounds........."
daewoomofo

Re: CAI & crankcase vent tube

Post by daewoomofo »

headly wrote:this) ? If you are, does your donk get coated in crap?
that jsut dont sound right

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
lanowoo
Expert

Post by lanowoo »

i am lucky, i live in KY and they have no realy emission & checups on emmissions which is nice
WOOOOO HOOOOO for a DAEWOO!!
-SRI -RE:APC STAINLESS STEEL PERFORMANCE FILTER
-VALVE COVER VENT FILTER
-CUSTOM ROD CRYSTAL DRIVING LIGHTS
-1200W AMP WITH 12" SUB -KICKS WOO BUTT!!!!!
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

lanowoo wrote:i am lucky, i live in KY and they have no realy emission & checups on emmissions which is nice

+1 in Mi

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
SuzukiRacer

Post by SuzukiRacer »

Most autozone stores sell a small kit from Spectre performance, which includes a set of adapters, grommets and fittings and a drill bit, which is used to install the temp sensor and breather hose. just use the drill bit to make the holes, then place the grommets and adapters, and you should then be able to fit in the temp sensor. This kit is usually found in the store isle next to the cai parts and stuff. Right now im just using a breather filter, i just bought the kit last week, but dont feel like changing it yet. I was surprised to find it, i would have liked to have it a long time ago.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

depending on your local emissions rules you can:

1- let it vent to air, oil drops will sputter all arround
2- use a breather (small filter) you will experiance a bit less oily sputter
3- hook the ventrlation port to the CAI pipe just like how it used to be on the OEM setup.
4- use an oil catch can, sputter is minimal if any at all, hook the outlet to the intake or to a breather.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
lanowoo
Expert

Post by lanowoo »

i have thought of doing it with a catch can but dunno how, neways..... that would be the best way to go in my opinion. buddy
WOOOOO HOOOOO for a DAEWOO!!
-SRI -RE:APC STAINLESS STEEL PERFORMANCE FILTER
-VALVE COVER VENT FILTER
-CUSTOM ROD CRYSTAL DRIVING LIGHTS
-1200W AMP WITH 12" SUB -KICKS WOO BUTT!!!!!
headly

Post by headly »

SuzukiRacer wrote:Right now im just using a breather filter, i just bought the kit last week, but dont feel like changing it yet. I was surprised to find it, i would have liked to have it a long time ago.
Dude do you notice any performance increase or any increase in engine warm up time?

Thanks for the responses guys, has anyone mounted a catch can? if so, can you send in some pics.

Thanks
Arami

Post by Arami »

I read somewhere online (I forget where) that someone was using an air compressor filter to do the trick. The catch is you have to empty the catch tank every so often. I'm not about to try it though because synthetic oil vapors can cause the tank to fail, or so the warning label says. I also think "fail" is a nice way of saying explode.
delphis
Expert

Post by delphis »

and oil catch can be made for about 20$ and a trip to home depot. you can simply run a hose from the vent case to a peice of pvc tubing with caps on both ends. drill a hole in the top for a generic angled plumbing inlet and then a hole on the bottom with a screwable connector so you can drain the oil out after it collects.
1989 240sx fastback with SR20DE