New to tuning, is this a bad idea?

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Arami

New to tuning, is this a bad idea?

Post by Arami »

I have a 2000 NubiraII that is bone stock except for the K&N air filter.
Recently, I Removed the resonators all over the intake, capped off the ones in the engine compartment, and removed the stock tubing that went to the wheel well to the airbox. I kept the stock box and intake tubing inside the compartment, but, I ran a flexable intake tube from my foglamp hole straight to the air box. Outside of the foglamp hole I have a velocity cone attached to the flexable tube. I wasn't sure if the car's aerodynamics would allow air to even enter the foglamp hole. It looks a little weird, and people call it an airhorn, but whatever.
Now, aside from making my engine significantly louder, I think I'm feeling noticeable improvement, but that could be my imagination. I was wondering if this could be harmful to my car in anyway. Should I be worried about hydrolock or sensor problems at highspeed? I might post pictures if I get my camera back from my ex.
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

the intake is a good idea, it wont mess with any sencors, but hydrolock is always an issue with a cold air intake (CAI), if it works than more power for the woo i say.

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
Arami

Post by Arami »

Do you think there are any extra gains (aside from the ones acquired by the larger diameter intake tubing) that could come from air being forced in while the car is in motion?
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

If there is more air forced into the engine, there will be more power. This is the principle behind Turbochargers, Superchargers, and Cold Air Intakes. So, if your intake is efficient enough, at speed, there will be much more cool, dense air being fed into the engine, and the power will increase.