Getting Blinking CEL at about 70mph

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

JohnnyC
Expert

Getting Blinking CEL at about 70mph

Post by JohnnyC »

When we get on the highway I'm getting a blinking CEL.

Usually kicks in at high speed... then it will continue more or less until I reach a slower speed or sometimes it continues until I stop.

The CEL's have been P0301 and P0303, which are Misfire on Cylinder 1 and Misfire on Cylinder 3.

I don't get it at slow speed at all, only when I go to a higher speed.

Any ideas on how I could diagnose the problem?

If you have any questions, I'll do my best to answer.

My battery did fail it's test when it was at the shop today. They said I need to get a new one.

Could that be part of the problem or the problem itself?
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

well... it is better to replace your battry first before you go into diagnosing this issue.

i know my car didn't behave that well when the battry was bad so i recommend a battry replacment first then see if the problem still exists.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
chronoti
Junior

Post by chronoti »

check wire resistance, then coil, i forgot how the coil system works, one coil runs 1 and 3 or was it 1 and 2? also make sure for a good ground connection.
http://hidplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2080
-all you ever need to know about lighting
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

chronoti wrote:check wire resistance, then coil, i forgot how the coil system works, one coil runs 1 and 3 or was it 1 and 2? also make sure for a good ground connection.
neither... its 1 and 4 in one half and the other 2 and 3.

MMamdouh
JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

I've been looking at different batteries. I've gotta figure out which one would be best for my woo. Unfortunately the parts stores around here only list the worst brand and only one battery. So... Hmmm I'll keep looking.
JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

If anyone else has a suggestion, please chime in. :)
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

i just got a 62AMP VARTA instead of the 55AMPAC Delco that i used to have... both were dry type.

MMamdouh
Brian5475E
Expert

Post by Brian5475E »

check the plugs
Aveo that moves! Now I need those cams!
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

go all out and get a optima red top, they are expencive abut they are great batteries, i love my yellow top

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

Is there a particular size/model of the redtop I should get?
tango

Post by tango »

I have the same problem with my Cielo. The oxygen sensor is at fault. I guarantee that when you flash the computer it will bring up that circuit fault. Good luck.
Cogito ergo sum...
JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

Hmmm I haven't gotten the oxygen sensor code yet... I did replace the battery today. With a Optima RedTop. I didn't get up to 70mph after that, so... didn't get any errors on the new battery.

My wife is out with the car right now, so I'll find out when she gets home if she's still getting it at high speed.
JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

FIXED!!

After checking the grounds, replacing the battery (needed to be done anyway), checking the plugs, and the ignition wires, I found the culprit... It was the ignition wires.

I didn't suspect them initially since they're supposed to be really good ones and seemed very well constructed and new... But after checking everything I could think of and leaving the new ignition wires on, I took it for a drive. It was even worse then before! At low RPM's (2500-3000) it was giving me the blinking light of misfire. I turned around and went home.

I pulled the car up in front of the house and thought about it for a few. Then I decided as an experiment I would clean up and put the old ignition wires on in place of the new ones and try it again. Low and behold... NO BLINKING CEL. I took it up to 85mph on the highway for a minute to check and make sure it wasn't going to start blinking at me... Drove around a bit and headed home... No blinking CEL... No CEL at all!

It would appear that I have finally worked all of the major kinks out of my engine. This makes me feel much better. Of course... there is the problem of these faulty ignition wires I gotta figure out what to do with now... But I'm more happy it's all running well.
tango

Post by tango »

GO JOHNNY! LOL! Good show my brother. Sorry for the bad info...I tell ya...bad electrical leads will cause ALL kinds of crappy signs. I think I'm gonna go get a Morris Oxford or something nice and simple...LOL.
Cogito ergo sum...
chronoti
Junior

Post by chronoti »

WOOOOOOOOOO! i was right! but what wires did you have on your car? i had the cheap ones from autozone break apart when i went to take them out from the car.
http://hidplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2080
-all you ever need to know about lighting