small knock!!

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

DomWoo
Expert

small knock!!

Post by DomWoo »

this cant be good, today when i was looking at the underside of my car for the placment of my new suspension... while it was running... i could hear a small knock coming from the crank case... anyone know what will have to be fixed?

as engine revs it goes away instantly... so i dont know what it is!!
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

Could be something as simple as a dirty lifter, or the valve seat. Give us more details. Do u ever hear this 'knock' while driving?

Post by DomWoo »

well this is strang because i decided to reset my computer and do it the way the manual says to do it... actually felt different driving it and i drove the car two miles then stoped for about an hour then drove it two miles back home and its not making the noise anymore, didnt make the noise when i started up before i drove it the first two miles either, but it sounded like a... well ive heard a few bad motor sounds before and it started sounding like a rod with a bad bearing and sloping around smacking things just quieter

earlier i drove about 10 miles then stoped for about 5 minutes and drove 2 miles and thats when i stoped my car and was looking at stuff and heard it, so i cheched all my fluids and everything looked good, just changed my oil too. i always run 5w30 full syn - make veries but this is the first time i used castrol. oil was just past the max like by 1/4th of an inch on level ground.

when i poped my hood you cant hear it because of the noise of the lifters and injectors... and such.. but when i got on the ground it seemed like it was coming right from where the coil pan is. ill do alittle more driving tomorrow before i park it for the next two months.

im starting to wonder if it wasnt the trany. the trany (auto) has been making some funny sounds lately too, anyknow know how "I" can check the level of the fluid??

also how do you get the lifters clean? it seems like when i first bought the car i could bearly hear them now they are getting quit loud and can hear them with the hood down, befor i could only hear them with the hood up
Pete Gossett

Post by Pete Gossett »

A tip to help locate the sound, is to take a long screwdriver - holding the handle against your ear - then place the tip against the area the sound is coming from. If you move the tip around, you can pinpoint where the sound is originating.

To help cure noisy hydraulic lifters, you could try a quart of "Marvel Mystery Oil" with your next oil change. It's sort of a *snake-oil* fix, but it worked in an old VW of mine.
W. Pete Gossett
Wolf-Spirit
Expert

Post by Wolf-Spirit »

about lifters... your oil is so thin (cuase you use 5w30) that the oil runs totaly out the hydralic lifters so the sound comes back and back.... personaly i use half synthetic 15w40 never got the noise and my engine is clean as hell.

yust what i think though could be wrong.... but normaly if your car is not used alot you get this... but if your oil is so thin... i could happen rather quick.

Also about those marvel myster oil... not sure if i got correct product but most yust make the oil thicker... thats alll.... so yust use a difrent oil :p
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Post by TheGreatAndPowerfulOz »

I agree with the noisy valve lifters because the oil is running back out. My VW used to do this very often.

If you really want to listen around in your engine, you can try a mechanic's stethoscope.

$4.99 at Harbor Freight, but I'm sure you can find one in almost any auto parts store.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/D ... mber=41966

I have one and it has been very useful.

Cliff
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

Well, the viscosity of the oil will not have anything do to with the noisy liftes, unless its a high-mileage vehicle (200000km +), or if the lifters are mechanically worn out. My 1.6 engine in the winter beater Lemans has almost 250000km on it, and there are no problems with noisy lifters.

If oil changes have been a little bit neglected, I would suggeste adding some good quality engine flush to the engine oil before changing it. Once added, one should normally run the engine on IDLE for about 10-15 minutes, and then drain it. You would be surprised how much crap this will get out of the motor. Doing this will remove oil deposits (inlcuding carbon) that will cause insufficient operation of the lifters, thus knocking.

My 5 cents :lol:

Post by DomWoo »

what kind of flush do you suggest?