1.6L Designed by Lotus Engineering

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

1.6L Designed by Lotus Engineering

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Stefan sent me a nice little article on the european ECOTEC 1.6L which we belive to be pretty much the same engine as the Daewoo 1.6L (A16DMS).

The main difference is in the compression ratio since the 1.6XE has a 10.5:1 ratio where as the A16DMS has a 9.5:1 ratio

According to the article Lotus Engineering did most of the design work on this engine (not Vauxhall)

Vauxhall said that they were able to tune the car for an output of 148bhp on their test bed without any sort of reliability problems.

In the end they decided to go with 107hp 111 lb-ft of torque to get the fuel economy they wanted ( 50MPG )

The article will be posted in the album section a little later.
DomWoo
Expert

Post by DomWoo »

sounds good to me

but what does it mean about internals?

better then we all thought?
Stefan
Super

Post by Stefan »

I also heard that one of the reasons they 'detuned' the 1.6 down to 107hp was because marketing didn't want the little 1.6 outshining it's bigger 150hp 2.0 brother :wink:

Stef
Vauxhall Astra.
T3 60trim, Intercooler, Mopar Super 60 Injectors, SDS Stand Alone EFI, Cast T3 Manifold With External Wastegate + More...
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Post by TheGreatAndPowerfulOz »

Speaking of carbs ... I have been thinking of rebuilding the 1.6 that is in my Lanos parts car and using carbs on it instead of a computer & injection.

I saw a big power gain when I changed from injection and went to carbs on my Porsche, and thinking along those same lines, I was wondering how the Lanos engine would respond to a 4 barrel carb or a couple 2 barrel carbs.

Perhaps the side draft carbs available from Weber would be good.

Maybe Weber's individual runner fuel system would work well, too:
http://www.webercarburetors.com/ppw/html/IR/IR_page.htm

Just a thought :)

Cliff
DomWoo
Expert

Post by DomWoo »

how do we get it back to the 150hp 1.6 setttings??? because im sure there is a way!!!!
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Anything a carburator can do a properly tuned fuel injector system can do better..... and yes.... I have a high performance Holly carb on my 5L chev engine sitting in my truck.

Aftermarket MPFI systems make way more power than the Carbureted or throttle body fuel injection systems.... I looked into it before buying my Holly carburetor but it was too much money.

Basicly it comes down to the fact that a carburator will allow the engine to put out as much power as it wants where as fuel maps for injectors are usually setup to help with efficency and emissions..... so naturally your going to see a power gain..... but I don't think it would be as much as it would if you simply tuned your present fuel injection system.

If one were to use a secondary fuel management system such as an Apexi AFC you should be able to tune the car for significantly more power.

As for the high output 1.6L..... they might have had different cams but I would imagine that everything else should be the same.

You also have to remember that the 10.5:1 compression pistons will also make more power than the 9.5:1 pistons.

The main point of the article is that you shouldn't see any decrease in reliability if you stay under the 150bhp mark.

How you get there is up to you.
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Post by TheGreatAndPowerfulOz »

...so naturally your going to see a power gain..... but I don't think it would be as much as it would if you simply tuned your present fuel injection system.
Ah yes, but I don't have the capabilities of reprogramming, or even know if the stock computer box of a 1973 Porsche D-Jetronic injection computer can be reprogrammed. Orrigional 1973 electronics get brittle from 30yrs of heat inside the engine compartment. When I was carefully removing ther computer, many parts broke and cracked from old age.
Pete Gossett

Post by Pete Gossett »

Sorry for taking this off-topic, but are you familiar with the Megasquirt? It's an open-source engine management system, that you can buy the kit & assemble, or get pre-assembled; then adapt to nearly any engine.

I don't have any personal experience with it, but everything I've read gives it great reviews.
W. Pete Gossett
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Nope.... never heard of a Megasquirt.

Oz... I work with Canadian made circuit boards from the early 60's but they were made for the military so they are a stronger board than most new circuit board material..... so blame the Germans for the poor quality brittle board :roll:

D-Jetronic injection.... it must be Bosch.... I can't see Porsche using anyone else (although I don't know a damned thing about fuel injected Porsche engines).... I've fooled with an old 914 engine but that was just a glorified VW engine (or you could say the old VW engines were a slightly less potent Porsche 914 engine )

I had a 1967 Bettle with a dual port 1600.... had a bad cylinder so I was going to drop in a 914 engine.... but my car had really bad floor pans and I didn't feel like sinking much time or money into it at the time.
Pete Gossett

Post by Pete Gossett »

Here's some Megasquirt links. They're also working on an ignition system called Megajolt.

For anyone looking into aftermarket engine control like Halltech, etc. The Megasquirt is a farmore affordable alternative.

www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html

http://www.megasquirt.info/index.html
W. Pete Gossett
nderryking

Post by nderryking »

Erfinder wrote: D-Jetronic injection.... it must be Bosch.... I can't see Porsche using anyone else (although I don't know a damned thing about fuel injected Porsche engines).... I've fooled with an old 914 engine but that was just a glorified VW engine (or you could say the old VW engines were a slightly less potent Porsche 914 engine )
This is off topic, but interesting trivia:

American Motors (AMC) bought the rights (from audi) to that same Porsche/vw/audi 914 engine and used it in the 1977 and 1978 AMC Gremlin in an attempt to get decent fuel mileage out of these cars. The AMC version had a carb instead of the fuel injection and was actually built in the USA by AMC but was the same specs.

These cars were horribly underpowered and to make matters worse, the Audi/Porsche/vw engine cost a lot more to make than the standard Inline 6 232/258 that AMC had been making for years and could basically churn out for almost free. You could *almost* get decent power if you swapped in Fuel Injection from a 914 (which I understand is basically a bolt-in upgrade.)