intake

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

anb5703

intake

Post by anb5703 »

today i was lookin at my car after puttin in my kn air filter n saw this plastic box w/ two tubes goin in it at the bottom of my fender..i read from the thing below and was wonderin if this is wat this dude meant..i removed the box and the tube w/ two hose connector basically goin to the air box and anoter tube im wonder wat it was..im just wonderin if i did something bad or hazardous to my engine..and where the other tubes lead..right now i just have my air box w/ no connector under it w/ my air filter and the other tube is just ther..tell me if i did n e thing wrong..i am a idiot when it comes to cars..which is why im gald to have a car like this to learn things from..thanx..read this n lemme know if i did wat he said ?? lol"The first MOD was done within a few days of buying the car new. Simply remove the intake muffler that resides in the fender, and place the flared piece directly on the air box to draw cold air from the fender. It's important to retain the stock position when drawing in the air since the air in the fender is much cooler than that in the engine bay. For every 4 degrees C, that the air is cooler, that is about a 1% power increase. Though the results are not very good, the sound was much better, but still not well enough. Not bad for a free MOD that just took a little time."
Wolf-Spirit
Expert

Post by Wolf-Spirit »

So if i get ya right you got a k&n filter in the orginal box and removed the box inside fender wich isnt bad at all that box in fender lets you temp go 8-12C up so now the air is a bit cooler.

What you could also do now is connect a hose/pipe to the bottem of the original house and put that hose infront of you foglight hole (open it ofcrourse) or if you got fog light in there try to get it somewhere behind the front fender where the air blow directly in the tube :)

If i didnt understand ya correct and you removed your house totaly and got a filter inside the engine compartment try to put a hose on the orginal or even better make a new hose so you can either pull the air where it pull the air stock or place the filter behind a opening in the fender be carefull whit water though if ya place it directly in the airstream.

Hope i could help :)
anb5703

Post by anb5703 »

like i said im no genus when it comes to these things but i saw a plastic box and was like hmm restricting the air flow this is lol..but yes u helped cuz i was worried i did something bad lol..but one thing..wat is that second hose that goes into it looks like the fender..cuz there is 1) the air box hose.. and 2) a second hose goin towards the passanger side of the car..???
by the way i drove round my neighborhood after i did this and all my buddys were like wat the hell did u do to ur engine cuz now it makes a mean growl when i hit the gas..nice sound effects from something that didnt even cost me a penny
kf4nxs

2nd tube

Post by kf4nxs »

If you are talking about the tube that comes out and goes up that is your primary intake tube. the reason it is turned up is incase you go through water, it will not be sucked into the intake. the other tube goes from the air box inside the fenderwell into the air intake box which houses the filter.
darkspeed415

Post by darkspeed415 »

yeah all you did was remove the resonator. thats the first step to increasing the engines airflow. You did the exact same thing i did when i had my lanos. bought the K&N filter, which is a good product, but if you want even better sound and an actual improvement in power, i recommend putting a cold air intake into your lanos. either find a used one from someone, then have it cut to fit, or you can get one made at most shops.
Wolf-Spirit
Expert

Post by Wolf-Spirit »

tbh make one yourself? it much cheaper.... ok most are made from alu or something... but a rubber smooth hose isnt bad either.. i used a intercooler hose i had lying around from a old diesel smooth as slick inside so no restrictions and cold also considering my air temp went from 35-45C (filter under hood) to 15-20c thats when the engine is running idle btw never looked at how cold it gets during driving itself considering air blows on my filter then.
simon609zp

Post by simon609zp »

As a reasonable alternative to a CAI, cut a bigger hole in the bottom of the air box. Currently that hole is smaller than the one the rubber tube to the intake manifold is. I drew a circle around the inside of a roll of masking tape (about 3" indiameter) and then cut a bigger hole with a jig saw leaving the outer edge at the edge of the air box. I does dramatically increase the flow and gives the engine a little more voice.
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

2000 Daewoo Lanos HB - Its green

Check me out at http://sdconsulting.weebly.com