induction kit / air filter for Lanos 1.4

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Rodd1s
Expert

induction kit / air filter for Lanos 1.4

Post by Rodd1s »

Hey, I just want to know if anyone can point me in the direction of a reasonably priced (aka cheap) air filter or induction kit for my Lanos 1.4.
I've occasionally seen cheap ones on EBay, but havnt seen any recently. Can anyone point me in the direction of a seller on ebay who sells induction kits and air filters.

Other than that, are there any online shops / catalogue order companies (in the UK) who sell "low cost" air filters etc.

ANy help would be great, as the K&N 57i kit is too expensive for my liking. lol. retailing at around ?70 to ? 140 at my local auto-tuning shops.
Cargo cultism is a beautiful thing as long as you never fall for it.
JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

You can see what I did here.

It's a ghetto Short Ram Intake (SRI). hehe On the cheap for certain.
norbie
Expert

Post by norbie »

Do what I did - Nice and cheap compared to the UK prices for big names.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/UNIVERSAL-HIGH-PO ... dZViewItem

Air filter there ?15 with delivery, take out the top of your airbox, and get a 68mm PVC bend for no more than a fiver.
Total cost = ?20, sounds like a beast :D
1999 3-door HB Lanos 1349cc SOHC - 16" Alloys, Short Ram Intake, Strutbar, Alarm & Remote Locking, Electric Windows, CarPC!
www.norbie.co.uk
Rodd1s
Expert

Post by Rodd1s »

Thanx for the quick, and good, replies.

I think I will be using Norbie's one, as the auction is still live, and it's also got the looks. lol

just one more thing, for the PVC tubing, what kind of a shop (or which shop/place) would I be able to get that from?

again, thank you for the replies.

edit: whilst typing this reply, i bought the air filter. lol
norbie
Expert

Post by norbie »

i bought mine from a local DIY shop.

but i also saw it in B&Q and MOREYS.

the filter comes with some rubber rings so that you can use any size pipe really but i found that the 68mm (very common) type was a good fit into the airtube for the engine.

just pic an angle that looks similar to mine.

BTW - you would love my seat covers they have "fast and the furious" on lol
1999 3-door HB Lanos 1349cc SOHC - 16" Alloys, Short Ram Intake, Strutbar, Alarm & Remote Locking, Electric Windows, CarPC!
www.norbie.co.uk
Rodd1s
Expert

Post by Rodd1s »

cheers for the help Norbie, much appreciated.

i assume you noticed my avatar icon then. made it myself! i replaced the skyline with my own Lanos.

I will be stopping by B&Qs tomorrow afternoon then to get the PVC tubing. I will post pics soon when it's fitted.
norbie
Expert

Post by norbie »

That's ok, ask if you have any questions (I always have loads myself but found this very easy when I was actually doing it).

Read the guide to remove your intake resonator and Y tube in the howto section here. - It will restrict your air intake even when you have induction kit.
www.norbie.co.uk
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

you can also go for a stealth setup like mine ;) :lol:

http://www.daewootech.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6120

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
Rodd1s
Expert

Post by Rodd1s »

that seems like a good i dea to hide the air filter. so does ur air still kinda run through the air box before going into the engine?
I like the idea of having a slightly longer ram pipe and was thinking of spray painting it red (to match the air filter colour) to add some style.

I think I'll probably end up getting rid of the air box completely and just hav the air filter.

well I'm going down town now to pick up my car. the sound system still isn't in due to late deliveries and with several bank holidays coming up. but I do have the details on it, it costs ?400 with 4 speakers, JVC cd-player/head-unit and i'm not sure if they're gona put an amp in with it, they should do for that money, but it's not really a concern of mine as I am getting it for free. :) Than i gota take the car back to the shop on either monday or tuesday to have th sound system fitted then the car should be pumping tunes out by end of nxt week.

I'm gona thrash that car down our local "Audi Straight" which is a quarter mile long straight road right nxt to an Audi dealership.

laters all!
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

Rodd1s wrote:that seems like a good i dea to hide the air filter. so does ur air still kinda run through the air box before going into the engine?
yes indeed the air still goes through the stock air box but their is no restriction in it whatsoever as i have removed the stock air filter.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
proudy

Post by proudy »

I found it easier to do one like jonny's one. And as norbie said take out the stock resonator and y tube. Its real easy to do and it sounds so much nicer without it.

see heres mine

http://www.daewootech.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2884

my dads a electrician so just used his gear out of his van and it was his idea how to set it up.
Pending Signature
norbie
Expert

Post by norbie »

How have you got yours fixed there?

Have you thought about putting a pipe through the resonator hole to the filter?
www.norbie.co.uk
proudy

Post by proudy »

well the fixings is easy. its a horse shoe clip with some flexi pvc and a bracket thing used for elctrical cable and pvc clue aswell was used.

And i dont think that would make much of a difference cus you are still sucking in the same amount of air. but you have a wider space I think the pipe will just block the amount of air it would take. and the air wouldnt be any cooler cus of australia's weather.

well thats my thoughts. I am not sure of this.

ps. The resonator and y tube i have taken out. thats a old photo.
Pending Signature
Rodd1s
Expert

Post by Rodd1s »

I like how proudy didnt use any extra tubing to keep the ram pipe short and simple, however, i still think it just looks better with the ram pipe. especially if it is painted instead of just being white.

I finally got my car people!!! it effing tears! i had 5 people in it and barely felt any decrease in power. and this thing loves to wheelspin, evry where i go it spins. i love it!
and the exhaust note... well one of my mates said it reminds him of a ferrari busting past. lol

i cant wait to get the induction fitted, i'm sure it'll sound even better. still need to get my sound system fitted though. i have the head unit, but the speakers are not wired up yet. evrything has been paid for, so i just need to take it by Ripspeed on monday where it will be fitted.

I've installed my first set of LED lights kit aswell, and will be posting pics of what it looks like in the dark.

and one last thing... the engine in my car is one of thee most cleanest i've ever seen! i'll get some pics up once we hav a sunny day to get that shine in the photo. lol

laters.
proudy

Post by proudy »

Cool thats awsome.

I didnt use a ram pipe. but i have a pipe inbetween so i did crush the pipe. and it works well.

Yeh i get no decrease in power. I always have a full car on friday night when doing a macca's run.
Pending Signature