Finally got a cone filter ***installed***

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

MMamdouh

*** FINALLY***

Post by MMamdouh »

i got the thing installed at last and it feels great :D

as i mentioned before i was going to use PVC pipes and put the piping where the OEM resonator used to be as i want the engine bay to look stock, i have used a 2.5" PVC pipe and 2 135 degree joints. the two PVC pipes were 5.3 cm and some 25 cm in lenth:

here you can see the cone filter and the air box adaptor made of the OEM filter, i gave up on the idea of installing pipes inside the air box as the wholes in it are too smal and will require more varity of PVC pipes:

now here is the PVC assembled... the little left pipe will be mounted to the rubber thingy under the OEM air box... i used tie wraps to hold the pipe to the rubber thing, the135 bend moves the rest of the setup away from the wheel well then another 135 degree bend to make the filter facing the fog light hole:

here is the setup with the filter on as well as the rubber thingy:

and here is a pic of the whole setup as it will be on the car:

after fitting all parts at home, i went doen to the car to start the installation... that was at 11:30 PM. first problem i encountred is that the filter is too big to go from the whole under the headlight - douh - so i got to jack the car and remove the wheel then the wheel well to start working.

after i installed the rubber thingy i put on the OEM air box and the adaptor i made... now the engine bay "looks" OEM but in fact it isn't at all. ;) :idea:

after doing that i got another problem... the tie wraps are not good for holding the pipe, it would fall out of the filter's weight due to the continous vibrations and all... i used one clamp out of the OEM rubber intake pipe to make it hold on tight then istalled the filter at the very end of the pipe.

the filter is not 100% facing the fog light hole and their is no room to extend the down pipe to mahe the filter face the fog hole... anyways with the current setup the filter is getting loads of cold air.

i installed the wheel and removed my tools and then... it was time for a test drive :badgrin:

first impression was: no noisy sound from the engine... maybe i was used to the engine with no resonator so it is just as loud as the resonator.

taking a spin arround my block revealed that i got beeter throttle response inded... the car felt a if it is breathing much better and got more agility (douh).

now i decided to have a run on an open road to really test the car... now it is 1:30 AM and the roads are relativly empty.

the car felt much better specially on high RPM... the engine doesn't feel as if it is spilling its guts out to rev at 5000 RPM as it used, now it is very nice and responsive all the way, car topped 150 Km/h easly (94 MPH).

after returning back home after this hard drive i parked the car and kept the engine running... i felt the air box and it wa actually cold... not "warm" or "not as hot as the engine"... i mean COLD... i am now sure my engine is sucking healthy air now.

it was a very nice mod indeed and i recommend it to every body... more feedback will come when i drive the car more and more.

EDIT: LINKS TO PICS WERE BROKEN SINCE THE FORUM UPGRADE, THE MENTIONED PICS ARE IN THE VERY FIRST POST OF THIS THREAD

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

Very 007 of you. :D Nice work. Let me know how it holds up at the connections. :)
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

yeah i love the stock look you have, nice work!

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
cpd
Super

Post by cpd »

Hmm, nice and stealthy... tempting.. :o
Big Eye Pictures - Best art evar!
ubuyau
Expert

Post by ubuyau »

Fantastic work!

Cold air is the best! Watch out for water and too much sandstorm dust ;)

--Tim
Slammed
Expert

Post by Slammed »

sounds pretty cool
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

ubuyau wrote:Fantastic work!

Cold air is the best! Watch out for water and too much sandstorm dust ;)

--Tim
thats part of why i am happy the fiter is not perfictly alighned with the fog hole... the hole is facing some 15% only of the filter's surface so blasting sand and water won't be able to do much damage... hopefully.

MMamdouh
karim
Junior

Post by karim »

Very nice work, so do you think if you bought better filter will have more power.
thats part of why i am happy the fiter is not perfictly alighned with the fog hole... the hole is facing some 15% only of the filter's surface so blasting sand and water won't be able to do much damage... hopefully.

MMamdouh
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

not really sure man... you can lend me your K&N and i will test and see if this is true :lol:

MMamdouh
karim
Junior

Post by karim »

I don't have one :lol:
MMamdouh wrote:not really sure man... you can lend me your K&N and i will test and see if this is true :lol:

MMamdouh
MMamdouh

WTF??

Post by MMamdouh »

some stupid SOB tried to steal my cone filter... yes the mofo tried to yank it off the PVC pipe and pass the filter through the fog light hole... i am sure the only thing small enough to slip through this hole is the ass holes brains.

the damages were minimal... the cleaning element snapped of the bottom metal plate thingy so i had to re glue it back, i have noticed that their is a little fine dust in the pipe so i knew the filter was passing some dust, i had to do something to make it more effecent cleaning wise so i "brushed" the cleaning element with PWS oil... just a little paint brush dipped in PWS and spread on the cleaning element.

i am not sure if the cleaning element would be affected with what i did but it is all a testing project on a low cost filter... i thing the oil will help catch fine particles of dust and will be good repelling agent for water aswell.

will keep you all posted with what i do.

MMamdouh
MMamdouh

Update

Post by MMamdouh »

here is an update on the PWS on the filter as well as the cleanup process:

the PWS fluid was effective indeed in catching all the small dust particles, the filter was practically black when i removed it for cleanup and the PVC pipes didn't have any dust in them... compared to the last time i checked the filter is now really working.

for cleanup i used tap water at firs to wrens the filter and it did remove a good chunk of the dirt (remeber is is a low cost project so i don't care if the thing was busted in the process)

the real problem was the PWS fluid soaked into the cleaning element and was saturated with dirt... water won't help much at this point so i used cleaning foam to clean the filter... the product worked well on my really dirty/greasy hands so i figured it will work on the filter.

the foam worked like a charm... removed most of the dirt and with an old tooth brush i managed to clean the grooves on the sides as well as the top port.

for drying it i used my blower and all the water was sprayed out of the filter... during the cleaning and drying process the cleaning element was holding on tight and didn't fail so i was surprized that such low cost product can take such abrasive treatment.

and as usual i put more PWS on the filter to keep on the maximum dust protection effect and then reinstalled it back with a new clam as the old one was a POS... the engine now is breathing better and i have proof that not every cheap part is necessarly of low quality.

MMamdouh
Slammed
Expert

Post by Slammed »

Cool ... PWS ???
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

Power steering fluid AKA ATF.

MMamdouh
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

it was time for a regular service for the woo and i decided to try a SRI setup for a while... as usual the filter was dirty as hell when i first removed it and it took all night to clean it... it is very dusty in here and the PWS fluid really works great to catch all the fine dust.

i removed the OEM air box and installed the filter at the end of the ribbed rubber hose comming from the TB... time for test drive.

the car sounded much much louder now, it is not noisy though... it sounded very nice and it was tempting to rev it high up to the limiter just to hear the nice sound of the intake... i couldn't really say it gained any more power or better throttle responce as that mod was done while i changed my spark plugs, spark plug wires and a TB/intake/IAC cleanup so it should feel better anyways.

problems appeared when things get hot arround here and you are stuck in a traffic jam with the A/C on... seems like the SRI sucks very hot air that the performance suffers, that was very clear on 2 consecutive days at the very same spot where the traffic jam occurs, yeasterday i switched back to CAI and it was much better so i recon for performance wise you should stick to your CAI but if you like your car to sound loud and nice regardless of how fast it is then go with SRI.

MMamdouh