smoke from air vents

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Shado

smoke from air vents

Post by Shado »

hey guys long time no type, ne ideas on wot could b causing small amounts of smoke coming out of my air vents smells like plastic burnin or gasd i dunno
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

well whatever it is, it can't be good. Please have this checked out ASAP before your entire car is up in flames.
2000 Daewoo Lanos HB - Its green

Check me out at http://sdconsulting.weebly.com
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Post by TheGreatAndPowerfulOz »

Yes - take your car to the dealer (yes, this will cost some money). This is something you really need to get fixed before you no longer have a car to drive.
Besides, do you want Honda drivers to laugh at your Woo when they see it on fire on the side of the road? That would really suck!
nderryking

Post by nderryking »

You know, I had a very similar thing happen a couple times. Smoke would come out my air vents for a short period of time and fill the car with smoke. The smoke would stop after a few seconds, but it was very scary. I took my Lanos to the dealer and they couldn't figure out what was going on.

It hasn't happened in a couple years now, and I'm no longer paranoid that its going to happen again.

Question: Is the smoke constant? Does it happen all the time or just every once in a while?

One suggestion I have is that its possible that your thermostat housing is cracked and coolant is leaking out onto the engine and filling the engine compartment with smoke... which then gets sucked up into the venting system. The reason I suggest this is because the smoke problem I had stopped occuring after my Thermostat housing broke and was replaced.

good luck man.
Shado

Post by Shado »

guys thanks 4 the responses, the smoke isnt from the engine coz iv pulled over and popped the bonnet and cant c ne smoke. i was gonna take it to a mate who does car air conditioning but now it stopped. it happened once since but im still planning on taking it in so that it doesnt catch me out unawares and do some serious damage, when? - i dont know, when i get some time off work. No long cruizes till then... once again, thankyou for your responses.
Wolf-Spirit
Expert

Post by Wolf-Spirit »

hai im a car mechanic and work on daewoo myself you should check 3 things.
1 is the carterventelation hose isnt torn could give a wierd smell in car like you say.
2 if you should have a nexia/racer check if the contact of the ignition inside the car doesnt somethimes smoke while starting (a know flaw in it)
3. maybe the radiator for the heating inside the car has a small leak and when ya put on heaterfan it evaporates and comes out the blow holes? (your engine water should drop if this happens)

Yust my 2 cents :)
Shado

Post by Shado »

gday all, thought id post the answer to my problem so u guys would know if it happens to you, it turned out to be me heater coil. as i was eventually losinf coolant fast and leakige was happeneing inside the car floor and underneath the car. so temporarily ive got the heater disconnected to stop these problems and the smoke. but for parts and labour ive been qoted about $850 (australian dollars) for the job from a trustworthy mechanic - daewoo dealer quoted me $600 for the labour alone and then qouted $500+ for parts! so until i get the money my woo battles on, hehe.