Aveo Exhaust Secrets Revealed!

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

PoTsUrFrIeNd

Aveo Exhaust Secrets Revealed!

Post by PoTsUrFrIeNd »

Bear with me here because I have spent alot of time and money figuring this out...

I began trying to modify my exhaust due to the fact that our motors leave something to be desired in the performance section (I think we can all agree on that) Anyway...I started by going to a local exhaust shop and had him remove the second resonator (about in the middle of the car) and splicing 2.25" pipe from there back into a Flowmaster 60 series muffler.

That produced surprising performance as far as the engines ability to rev higher than normal without feeling like it was straining anymore (above 5000 rpm's or so :lol: ) but I still did not notice very much of a sound or much performance. While knowing that and the fact that from the catalytic converter that is mounted ont the manifold there is 2" pipe that later reduces into 1.75" before entering the first resonator, I then went back and had the guy at the shop remove the other resonator and run 2.25" pipe from the second O2 sensor (which is about 6 or so inches from the cat) all the way back (including a new 2.25" flex piece).

This produced a horrible tinny sound at or around 3k rpm's, However in the rare absence of this sound I heard a very loud and intimidating grumble form the tailpipe. That and freeing up the exhaust completely made the engine rev like a ferrari - Extremely easy and smooth. I did however loose almost all of my torque :( .

While not being able to deal with the complete loss of torque I again went to the shop and had him install an aftermarket resonator (2.25" diameter of course) where the factory ones resided some time before.

:D :D :D :D IT WORKED!!! :D :D :D

I now have a very good grumble from my exhaust and get compliments on it all of the time (even from the rice haters) AND I regained all of my torque plus some extra!!!! And the engine revs beautifully completely smoking the top torque of 5000 rpm's that factory produces!!! :D

I now run almost dead even with an 05 focus with about 155-160 hp from a cat-back, cai, and throttle body. I also have a friend who has a 92 acura legend with a stock 3.2l v6 that runs 8.1 sec. 0-60 stock, and yes...I have raced him....He always eventually beats me by about 3/4-1 car length at about 95 until we always cut off.

I am in the process of buying a g-tech accelerometer to get accurate readings and will let you know when I get the numbers!!! Just to let you know....I also have an intake and an intake sensor modification. Let me know if you have any questions!!!
kinkyllama
Expert

Re: Aveo Exhaust Secrets Revealed!

Post by kinkyllama »

Very nice! I wish I had installed an aftermarket resonator long ago to get my tq back.. it sucks not having much.

oh ps.. i have a gtech for sale in the classfieds ;)
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

kinkyllama wrote:Very nice! I wish I had installed an aftermarket resonator long ago to get my tq back.. it sucks not having much.

What is the benefit of removing your rear resonator?
PoTsUrFrIeNd

Post by PoTsUrFrIeNd »

JohnnyC wrote:
kinkyllama wrote:Very nice! I wish I had installed an aftermarket resonator long ago to get my tq back.. it sucks not having much.

What is the benefit of removing your rear resonator?
The only reason I did was to ensure some gain as far as sound goes.
DomWoo
Expert

Post by DomWoo »

PoTsUrFrIeNd wrote:
I now run almost dead even with an 05 focus with about 155-160 hp from a cat-back, cai, and throttle body. I also have a friend who has a 92 acura legend with a stock 3.2l v6 that runs 8.1 sec. 0-60 stock, and yes...I have raced him....He always eventually beats me by about 3/4-1 car length at about 95 until we always cut off.
good job on the exhaust set up but.... your buddie with the acura must have something wrong with his car..

i own a 91 acura legend 3.2l v6 and 2 daewoo lanos with the 1.6 and there is no way the 1.6 can keep up with the 3.2l. there isnt a chance in hell.. dont get me wrong. i love both cars but 250hp vrs 125hp just isnt going to cut it. i have yet to come accrost a 4 banger that i havnt smoked in that car.. o'wait.. my buddies talon. which is pushing over 300hp

i havnt raced my turbo lanos against the acura but as soon as i get it all back together i will. and ill try to get some video. it being turbo is probably the only chacnce it has at has at keeping up with a v6
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

DomWoo wrote:
PoTsUrFrIeNd wrote:
good job on the exhaust set up but.... your buddie with the acura must have something wrong with his car..

i own a 91 acura legend 3.2l v6 and 2 daewoo lanos with the 1.6 and there is no way the 1.6 can keep up with the 3.2l. there isnt a chance in hell.. dont get me wrong. i love both cars but 250hp vrs 125hp just isnt going to cut it. i have yet to come accrost a 4 banger that i havnt smoked in that car.. o'wait.. my buddies talon. which is pushing over 300hp

i havnt raced my turbo lanos against the acura but as soon as i get it all back together i will. and ill try to get some video. it being turbo is probably the only chacnce it has at has at keeping up with a v6
Stock its 0-60 time is 7.9-8.5 depending on model (couldnt find exact model). Aveos stock is about 9.3 (quick search online)... shouldnt be hard to get it aorund 8sec. I got my car down 1 second from lower profile tires, ud pulley, intake, exhaust, and really bad driving.. im sure i could get it down much much more.

ps.. a stock 4 banger scion tc has a 0-60 of 7.4, rsx-2 is 6.2, evo is 5 seconds, srt-4 is 5.6-5.8. Tons of four bangers out there are quick as hell.. im shocked you havnt been beaten by any
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
DomWoo
Expert

Post by DomWoo »

there isnt any scions or rsx or evos here lol.. there is lots of subarus and honduhs... but... you have to remember that what you can do to a 4 banger you can do to a v6 also.. im sure if i was to put a new exhaust system on my acura and cold air intake i wold get the time down as well. not saying i would do something like that to my acura because it is simply not a race car it is a luxury car and thats what it is going to stay. i just htink its fun to smoke ricer honduhs lol.. the nest time i go driving ill see if i can get a 0-60 time.. it eats gas like crazy so i dont hot rod it. but what im saying is that an exhaust and a intake will make a differnce but not so much of one that it would take 2 seconds off a 0-60 time

i have test drove a 1.6 aveo and i felt that my stock lanos was faster and im not to trilled with my stock lanos. but my turbo lanos on the other hand is fun to drive.. it will put in the the seat!!

also the 91 to 94 model acura legend was sold to daewoo and was produced by daewoo under the name of daewoo arcadia or something like that.. so i concider it another daewoo.. :D
DomWoo
Expert

Post by DomWoo »

just got back from a quick spin.. there is no way the times for the acura legend are true unless my acura is special and is faster then all the rest.. both times were under 7 sec. it wasnt exact but i dont have anything but a stop watch and i hit it when my foot hits the peddle and try to stop it when it gets over 60

i wish i had a gtech pro or knew someone that had one.. i would like to know the exact number it gets
PoTsUrFrIeNd

Post by PoTsUrFrIeNd »

kinkyllama wrote:
DomWoo wrote:
PoTsUrFrIeNd wrote:

Stock its 0-60 time is 7.9-8.5 depending on model (couldnt find exact model). Aveos stock is about 9.3 (quick search online)... shouldnt be hard to get it aorund 8sec. I got my car down 1 second from lower profile tires, ud pulley, intake, exhaust, and really bad driving.. im sure i could get it down much much more.

ps.. a stock 4 banger scion tc has a 0-60 of 7.4, rsx-2 is 6.2, evo is 5 seconds, srt-4 is 5.6-5.8. Tons of four bangers out there are quick as hell.. im shocked you havnt been beaten by any
You have an ud pulley, where are those made????also

on another note, my friends car does 8.1 stock and it only has 215 hp