Nexia GLi 1997

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

tango

Post by tango »

Okay here goes. These engines are actually known for their corrosion issues. Corrosion isn't the deterioration of the gasket per se, but it is the deterioration of the aluminium in the cylinder-head due to exposure to water and oxygen. When this happens the gasket no longer fits proeprly and the expansion-contraction of the aluminium head against the cast iron block causes the gasket to wear away. The eneven surface also creates a poor fit and allows coolant and oil to mix (the brownish look of the oil), combustion gases to escape into the head area (the misfiring; this also shows up as the blackened look of areas of the gasket when inspected), and coolant to enter the combustion chamber (the sweet smell). I had corrosion in my engine that caused a head-gasket failure. It can happen to any engine and this is also compounded if not enough coolant is used and water is instead the majority fluid.

To answer your other question, the cam cover gasket failure (another typical Daewoo fault) is not an indication of head issues.

For those so inclined. Let me say that a head gasket change is a fairly easy job. I tackled it by myself for the first time years ago when I had my Hyundai Excel. My recent engine rebuild on the Daewoo also required lifting the head and so the same principles are employed. One of the most rewarding things when it's done right too.
Cogito ergo sum...